"After the Disco" (2014) Starring Anton Yelchin (1989-2016)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Cryogenator, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Cryogenator

Cryogenator Commander Red Shirt

"Broken Bells presents "After the Disco" starring Kate Mara and the late Anton Yelchin, directed by Jacob Gentry. In honor of "After the Disco’s" tenth anniversary, director Jacob Gentry has assembled the complete version of the two-part short film released over a decade ago, produced by Alexander A. Motlagh in conjunction with The Creators Project. In loving memory of Anton Yelchin, a remarkable talent whose legacy continues to inspire."

somebuddyX and Michael like this.
  2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Oh, that was awesome! I hadn’t seen that before, so thanks so much for sharing! This is beautifully shot and the album sounds great. Will have to check out the full thing later tonight, sounds properly trippy.

Seeing Anton Yelchin always makes me wistful. What a beautiful soul and human being. I’m sure there were yet some brilliant performances in store from him, but alas, he was taken waaay too soon.

I don't know why, but the plot (and twist) and the way this was filmed kinda reminded me of Black Mirror. With just a few tweaks and some dialogue this could have easily been expanded into an episode for that show. And how awesome would it have been to actually get Walter Koenig for that revelation at the end?

Cryogenator likes this.
  3. Cryogenator

Cryogenator Commander Red Shirt

You're welcome!

Years later, I still don't think I understand the story. He seems to be dreaming, and maybe he's actually old, or is dreaming of his future old age?

Walter Koenig could be deepfaked in.

Scenes from the short were also used for the music video of "Holding on for Life."

somebuddyX likes this.
  4. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

Man I got chills hearing the opening of "Perfect World" with Anton on the alien planet. I bloody love this album and have often drummed to the "After the Disco" track and played the album in the car or while driving around on my forklift. It's dope to get another way to look at it.

Cryogenator likes this.