A Canon Discussion

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Nedersong, Aug 23, 2008.

1. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Shoop, shoft lavatory paper and good dentishtry.

sorry, that's Cohen the Barbarian...

2. RaymondJames

RaymondJames Captain Captain

I don't like Canon rules. If your a Star trek writer your work in order to get published can not kill a already known Trek Character, You can not create new relationships between trekl characters unless in the end everything goes back to normal.

Personally I would ratehr the books were all what ever the writer wants. If you want to have Deanna and Worf togather then the Writer should be allowed to have that as long as each novel has a label that it non canon.

3. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Commodore Commodore

QFT!

Charlie

4. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

ENT did have some strengths. It's unfortunate that it created more continuity issues than it should have (as opposed to canon issues, which I'm not sure occurred), because the producers copied a lot of stuff from later Trek shows instead of attempting to be more original. And the characters, particularly Mayweather and Hoshi, were often not given enough to do.

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

It copied stuff from later Trek shows? That's a neat trick. ;)

Seriously, though, ENT might have had it's problems, but canon issues were not it.

6. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

Gee .. then after only seven novels all the main characters of TOS would be gone and you wouldn't have any more books you could write.

Writing for tie-ins is writing for hire, in someone ELSE'S universe. You're a creative guest. You get to USE all their rules, but unless you're established, you don't get to break any of them.

And everything does NOT "go back to normal" ... every main character goes through their own character arc which contributes to their personality and the Trek universe.

And, as stated over and over again in "canon" threads, most people when they think they're speaking of "canon" are actually talking about "continuity". Two very different things.

--Ted

7. kv1at3485

kv1at3485 Commodore Commodore

I have no qualms with throwing out things that have "come before" if it results in characters who do not seem to missing a significant portion of their brains. It just happens to be that respect for the characters, and the organizations and principles they profess allegiance to, can often be reinforced if previous events/factoids/etc. are not forgotten since that means fewer hoops that need to be jumped through.

8. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

When TNG was in first run did people sit around and worry about canon? At that time there was not Internet forums to rally cries of discontinuity. I'm re-watching the second season of TNG and already the Borg are screwed up. In "Q Who" the borg are not male or female, but they have babies. They don't assimilate people, they take technology and materials. In "Q Who" it is first contact wit the Borg and the big problem is that Q created contact and the Borg now know about the Federation. Yet, it references back to an earlier episode where the Borg raided outposts around the Neutral Zone. Oh, and the Borg are a collective mind with no leader. I guess that means no Borg queen.

I don't think the problem is writers not reading up on Star Trek history because in many cases it is writers changing things they already set in place. I think they don't expect us to pay so much attention to the details.

9. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Here a good reason maybe some Vulcan have ridges too, but it rare say 1 in 1000, However at the time of sundering a disportional large section of the ridged vulcans left,say 1 in 10, over the couse of 2000 year this would lead to the fact that must Romulans have ridges while a smaller goups does not

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Obviously you haven't read "TNG: Before Dishonor" by Peter David.

11. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I gave up on Peter David a loooong time ago.

But yeah, TNG screwed with its own internal continuity quite a bit. And yeah, it did annoy me.

But for the most part TNG ingored TOS, so it didn't really do much in the way of messing up canon/continuity from TOS.

12. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

* chuckles * You know what I meant. :lol: And I agree.