2012 trailer

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm appalled at the casting, but the destruction looks good.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I was wondering the same thing, so I did a quick google search. It looks like they're specially built ships that could wander the oceans until the storm is over. Modern day Noah's Arks basically.

3. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Emmerich and Bay should team up and make a movie with all possible natural disasters, alien and giant robot invasions, terrorists blowing stuff up and so on occurring at once. No plot - just explosions and destruction. It will the most awesome movie ever made and will make approximately 237648127 gazzilion dollars.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, I read a Clive Cussler book where the villain was doing the same basic thing. And of course, Cussler is the Roland Emmerich of action novels.:lol:

Definitely a popcorn movie. Who wants to bet that the "scientific" explanation in the movie uses pole shifting?

For some reason people always seem to miss the fact that pole shifting refers to the magnetic poles of the planet reversing. Not the planet itself flipping orientation.:wtf:

5. Mark de Vries

Mark de Vries Commodore Commodore

How delightfully brainless. :lol: Yeah, I'll watch it.

6. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean--their other movies have plots? :confused:

7. The Comedian

The Comedian Captain Captain

It certainly does look like "When Worlds Collide" - which I had heard Spielberg was supposed to be doing someday. Perhaps this was an attempt to beat Spielberg to the punch?

8. The Comedian

I'm guessing lunar breakup - polar shifting would not result in falling meteors. :)

9. Mark de Vries

Mark de Vries Commodore Commodore

^Why choose? Maybe it'll be both.;)

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

What happens when the earth breaks in half? You know Emmerich is planning it.
    Your house
    Your Basement
    .......Earth
    .......won't save you

Next movie will have people leaving in ships that the goverment once again concealed till the time was right(ID4 and now 2012) :lol:

11. The Comedian

:crazy: Ooooh! And global warming!

12. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Their other movies have attempts at plots - Emmerich always adds some pointless and stupid family drama, for example ...

13. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

And it's pretty much always schlock pablum designed via "a+b=c" to move the destruction forward.

Script by the same duo that managed 10,000 BC. We really need a *glyph of overwhelming dread*

I'm soooooooooooo getting a 10.5 feeling off of this one. Absolute, utter, unmitigated, completely implausible scientific crapfest. One of those "oh, it's going to be bad, but for some reason passing logic, we're still going to watch it" movies.

John Cusack's in it, which doomed me from before I ever saw a trailer.

14. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

John Cusack's gotta do the big blockbuster movie every now and then to get the big paycheck so he can do more of the small movies that no one goes to see.

That's nice how that web site you linked to lifted the trailer from Yahoo and put their own stamp on it. :lol:

If this movie were made in the 80s, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, Chuck Norris and Eddie Murphy would stop the end of the world... with bullets!

15. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, that got a groan out of me too. Thing is, the Mayans believed in a cycle of destruction and rebirth every few thousand years; the events that mark the change from one world to another ought to be bad but could still be overcome by people with no technology and a far lower global population, otherwise humanity would have been wiped out by the previous events. Unless there's a reason why this one will be particularly bad... but then, if they think the Mayans are the earliest civilization, they probably didn't really bother to do much research into the Long Count and associated mythos.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

16. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ This was bound to happen after Roland Emmerich and Dean "Godzilla is 100% scientifically accurate and I stand behind those words" Devlin split up. :lol:

17. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

If you check out some of the marketing sites for the movie, it makes the comparison more apt: The IHC-- complete with survivor lottery and White House News Feed-- Planet X to collide with Earth

18. The Comedian

Nice find! Thanks!

19. Brandonv

Brandonv Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:lol: I had forgotten about that.

20. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

Wasn't that movie out earlyer this year with nic cage? Knowing, was it?