Shyamalan's The Last Airbender Pics!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Technobuilder, May 22, 2009.

1. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

So THAT'S why the presidant of iran ''ACKMAHANDJOB'' hate's the JEWS, He's a nazi!:guffaw:

2. Ridcully

Ridcully Commodore Commodore

Anime usually do not look very Asian...neither did Aang!
    Looks ok to me....but I am having a hard time seeing this one being done well...but let's wait and see:)

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Avatar was not anime. It was an American production created by a couple of guys named Konietzko and DiMartino. And yes, virtually all the characters in the show did indeed look Asian, considerably more so than they would have if it had been anime.

4. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

[​IMG]

why is zuko (the bad guy mind you) a person of color and ang a cute little white kid?

5. Christopher

^Well, Zuko isn't the bad guy. Not really. Overall, it looks like they're casting South Asian actors or ones that can pass for that type as Fire Nation characters (Fire Lord Ozai is played by a Maori actor), and East Asian actors as Earth Kingdom characters. There are good, bad, and ambiguous characters in both nations.

6. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

I've had my misgivings about M. Night as well, I'm not his biggest fan. The only thing that has me cautiously optimistic about this project is that the guy CAN make a visually interesting film. He's a good visual director. His movies in the past weren't bad because they looked bad, they were bad because he's often not a very good writer. He's not writing this, the creator Micheal DiMartino is, and the closer they stick to the cartoon the better. These photos are encouraging, there doesn't appear to be any "re-imagining" going on thus far, and it was M. Night taking things in his own direction that was worrying me the most.

See above.

And give me a break, Trekker, you're reaching. It's quite clearly an arrow, exactly like he's always had, it's just not a solidly-shaded tattoo, there's an intricate design inside it of some kind. But by all means, continue to make silly comments about shit that's right in front of your eyes, it's amusing to me.

7. Christopher

Hate to break it to you, but according to Wikipedia and IMDb, DiMartino and Konietzko are only credited with the story, with Shyamalan getting sole screenplay credit. And in Hollywood, there's nothing to prevent a screenplay from diverging almost totally from the story outline. MNS is the screenwriter, director, and producer of this film, so it's almost certain to be just as much one of his "auteur" pictures as all his previous efforts. Which means, in all likelihood, it's going to be a pretentious, ponderous, self-congratulatory mess. DiMartino and Konietzko are executive producers, but I wouldn't count on them having enough creative control to cancel out MNS's "vision," given that MNS has far more clout in Hollywood, and has worked with all the other producers on the film before. That means D&K are the outsiders in the group, perhaps only getting a token EP credit because of their ownership of the concept. Even if MNS is consulting with them, involving them in the process, I profoundly doubt they have the power to override his decisions.

I see plenty of re-imagining going on in the casting, and not just where ethnicity is concerned. Shaun Toub as Iroh? Aasif Mandvi as Zhou? Those just seem totally wrong. Toub is too young, too thin, and not jovial enough or commanding enough (from what little I've admittedly seen of him) for Iroh. And casting The Daily Show's Mandvi as Zhou suggests they may be reinterpreting him as a comic villain (unless Mandvi has considerably more range than I've seen from him in the past -- and can drop his voice by a couple of octaves).

8. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

I must have overlooked the part about him writing, IMDB is a freaking mess (I just looked at the front pages) and I never thought to check Wiki. That sucks.

As for the choice of actors, I usually wait to pass judgement until I see a film. Too many times in my life I've seen an actor cast in a part and have thought "No way!" only to be proven wrong. In this area I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

But thanks, you've dampened my hopes a bit on this one. :lol:

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

It appears to be a target.

10. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

How surprising, this thread is turning into yet another Shyamlan [sic] Sucks™ parade.

11. Christopher

I'm sure M. Night Shyamalan is a perfectly fine human being and I have no animosity toward him on a personal level. But he hasn't made a good movie since Unbreakable. We should be able to critique a person's work without making it about the person.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

So what will the THE SHOCKING ENDING TWIST (TM) be for this movie? :)

13. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Happening was quite successful financially, taking in about 180 million after DVD sales against a 60 million budget.

I get where you're coming from, but I think Aang looks about as Asian in the cartoon as Storm looks African in the Marvel comics and cartoons.

Because Shymalan has an agenda... against people... of... color? DOH!

14. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

The whole time, it was Zuko who was the Avatar.

"What a tweest!"