Two DS9-R questions

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Nov 15, 2008.

1. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was looking at Memory Beta, and the Odo page explains that at the end of Olympus Descending...
    the Great Link was basically so distraught over the death of thier god that they all dissolved and the remaining Founders were the only ones left alive.
    When I read the book, I was under the impression that they just floated off the surface of the world and left for parts unknown to wallow in grief, not caring about the Dominion any longer. I didn't understand what happened to be that they all comitted suicide.

Did I miss something?

And as I'm about to read Fearful Symmetry can someone give me a reminder of what happened in Warpath, and what the main unanswered questions we were left with are. I basically remember, but I'm pretty hazy on the details, since it's been so long. I would totally appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think, in answer to your question:

What do you want to know about Warpath specifically? If you haven't read it- I'd recommend reading it (or rereading it if you've read it and are hazy) as its an excellent read. It just continues after Taran'atar's actions in OD, and FS is more of a "why" IMO.

3. ryan123450

I've read it. It's just been a long time. I'm specifically wanting a quick refresher on the final scenes, ie the cliffhanger. What do we know and what are we left wondering?

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

As for the spoiler-boxed question, you're right and Memory Beta is in error.
    It was the Great Link, not the individual Founders, that dissolved. The Founders flew off to parts unknown.

5. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As Christopher says, your interpretation is the correct one.

As for your question re Warpath, there's a thread right here that was revived recently in which someone, i forget who, did exactly what you're looking for - a breakdown of all the salient plots and character points in quick bite-sized portions. Just look back over the last two or three pages and it should be there somewhere.

6. ryan123450

OK! Thanks both of you. That should answer all my questions.

7. Marie1

8. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am hoping that we will get some resolution to that ending in Olympus Descending soon, because it's been 5-6 years since it was released, with no answers as of yet.

9. Marie1

My copy says it was released in 05... so 3 years, still taking its good old time... but six- waiting between Warpath and FS (2 years-ish?) felt like an eternity!!

Well, on Taran'atar's end... there kindof have, only just the kind that lead to more questions! LOL!

I think they decided, maybe, to do the Destiny trilogy first to give us a look at the galaxy later, then move up to that point.

10. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought it was 2003. Oh well.

11. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

Closer to four. It was released in January of 2005. It's been longer since Olympus Descending was published than it had been since Avatar was published when Olympus Descending arrived in stores. In the first three-and-a-half years (not counting A Stitch In Time), fifteen or sixteen books were published, depending on whether What Lay Beyond is included. In the second three-and-a-half, we've seen only two relaunch books, and six DS9 books in total.

12. Marie1

Have I ever mentioned how very much I hate numbers?

But Warpath... Warpath was great! And the hold for FS wasn't foreseen...

13. jdvelasc

jdvelasc Cadet Newbie

The great thing about wikis is that when you find out they are in error, you can simply change them. I have done so on the Odo page - check to see if you agree with the new reading. http://startrek.wikia.com/wiki/Odo Thanks for pointing this out.

14. Marie1

Some of that page still puzzles me, like whats indicated at the end of the progenitor section...

Then again, I've always had issues with Wikis and like things... thats why I started my own site, not that I don't use them but errors bug me.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The thing about the Founders wanting to live in isolation, except for some who formed small links? Because I don't recognize that.

16. Marie1

You don't remember it from OD you mean?

I think they're feeling angry and guilty and are punishing themselves... a bit of an odd reaction, but they're a rather extreme people... *shakes head*

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah OD. Didn't it just end with them vanishing?

18. Marie1

No, not vanishing per se... the individual founders "flew" away into space, single and in groups, and spread to live out their lives. They didn't feel like being in the link- overwhelming emotionally, and didn't think they deserved to work further at extending their lives or trying to reproduce.

Or is that what you meant? Odo and Laas are still there... what a terrible link...

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah thanks, that's what I was wondering about. I remembered that everyone but Odo, and Laas left after the Progenitor died, but none of the specifics.

20. Marie1

I find that a bit interesting- that they finally feel guilty over something. I mean, the genocide, the enslavement of all those worlds... I mean, if I was the Progenitor, I'd be terribly disgusted by what they had done. If they had consciences, you'd think they'd be a bit ashamed, and a bit worried about what It would think when it returns. But yeah, they'll feel like they lured one to its death, and so off then went, still ignoring Odo...

On the wiki note, I went to the Talak'talon page:
    http://startrek.wikia.com/wiki/Talak'talan

Is there any truth to this, or is it all based on VGs? If there is mention about Talak'talon and Goron'agar in books- which ones? I wanna buy them!! But a lot of it (not only because sources aren't cited) seems awful whacky. In fact, I don't even like the way the stuff from the show is worded! Talak'talon *heard* Bajoran's fought well... implying he wasn't directly involved, the way I interpreted his tone. If they're are books with more... I'm *dying* to have them...