Is Shatner really bald?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by CaptainHawk1, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainHawk1

CaptainHawk1 Commodore

I've heard rumors for years that Shatner wore a toupee even during TOS (Hell, FG did a joke about it) but I've never gotten any confirmation on that. Is that true? Are there any pics of the Shat (non-shopped) of him sans the rug?

-Shawn :borg:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  2. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

I don't know of any pics, but Family Guy wasn't the first to rag on his rug. There was an episode of Night Court where Bull, the bald-headed baliff played by Richard Moll, was debating getting a toupee. One of his choices was a model called The Shatner 2000.

3. btflash

btflash Captain Captain

http://jimmywallis.com/Shatner3.jpg photo shopped image , but funny nonetheless. if you look at shat's hair in tos you can clearly see where his real hair end's and the piece begin's.but it still was a good toup.:lol:

4. CaptainHawk1

CaptainHawk1 Commodore

That's an oldie. I don't see what you're talking about and I look for it every time.

The thing is that it's been over 40 years and no one has a picture of Shat au natural? This seems bizarre to me if he actually is bald.

5. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He only WISHES he was bald!

6. btflash

btflash Captain Captain

you mean to tell me you never noticed that he had a receding hairline 45 years ago , but now has a full head of hair? if you wore a hairpiece you would know what to look for.a friend of mine into hair replacement showed me once .i point it out to people all the time when watching the old show.the color is slightly off where his hair meets the piece.it's harder to tell now because he wears a full piece not a toupe. but the fact remains you dont grow more hair the older you get.:lol:

7. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

He isn't. He's actually got very very fine hair which looks exceedingly bad under harsh studio lighting. He's had to wear various rugs and add-ons (even dyes) throughout most of his acting career - at least all the way back to his episodes on Twilight Zone.

If you see him in 'real world' lighting, it'll strike you as odd that he even needs a rug. I have some relatives with this 'condition', actually.. makes them look completely different 'on camera'.

8. btflash

btflash Captain Captain

http://www.triviatribute.com/images4/williamshatner9.jpg
    if you look closely you can see the tape in his hairline in the older photo.

http://www.freewebs.com/fanstuff1/shatner1.jpg

9. CaptainHawk1

CaptainHawk1 Commodore

First I'm not old enough to remeber anything from 45 years ago and no there's no receding hairline. It didn't move. as for growing more hair the older you get, sure you can, it just depends on how much you cut it before.

But not for nothing, you have no proof, just idle speculation. I want hard facts.

Again, where are the pictures of him with no hair? It's been 42 plus years since TOS.

It's really funny but you sound like a UFO believer who's citing all of this circumstantial evidence of UFO's. I expect that you'll be telling me next that Shat's toupee is at Area 51.

10. TK421

TK421 Commodore Commodore

In the episode where Kirk ages, that's his real hairline, usually he wore a small toupee to give him the quiff. (same as Sean Connery in all Bond films)

It was a wig in the 70s and 80s.

Not sure now, it might be plugs.

11. CaptainHawk1

CaptainHawk1 Commodore

SFW, he's got his hair completely slicked back. That's not a sign of a receding hairline.

I need proof! :shifty:

12. btflash

btflash Captain Captain

have you had your eyes checked lately?:lol:

13. Captain Gandalf

Captain Gandalf Commodore Commodore

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Interviews from the 60s with makeup artist, Fred Phillips, mentioned that, to save the stupidity of Phillips having to apply a bald cap over a toupee for the final stage of Shatner's "The Deadly Years" makeup, Shatner simply whipped off the toupee. So check his last elderly shots in that episode.

15. Lashmore

Lashmore Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not commenting on shatner since I don;t know, nor really cared, but the fact is yes the older you get you CAN grow more hair than you did before, and not just down there, on your butt, or on your chest.

I because it makes it so much easier working with raw metal and an oxy torch, shave my head every few months completely bald. Every time I shave it, more hair grows back, thicker, denser and the most annoying part - faster

The more I combat my hair, the faster and denser it grows back. By the time I'm 80 I expect to grow an afro overnight at this rate.

16. siskokid888

siskokid888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Either Quark's, or a bar on St. Mark's Place
    I always thought the scene in ST4TVH, where he is swimming underwater, was interesting as far as the hair thing goes. They show a shot looking at the top of his head, and it appears to be hair from his scalp flowing in the water. You can see the hair at the scalp. I thought at that point it was plugs or a very good weave. Check out the scene again if you get a chance.

17. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

It isn't actually true that shaving or cutting hair makes it grow faster or thicker than it was before, it's a common urabn legend - the cut ends are 'sharper' and so appear more noticeable and thicker than natural, tapered hair ends, but they are no thicker or faster growing than they were before. It's obvious if you think abotu it - what about shaving/cutting your hair could possibly affect its growth rate or thickness?

18. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Shatner whimsically addresses this in the last line of his recent memoir Up Till Now.

19. Rabittooth

Rabittooth Commander Red Shirt

I've always believed this to be true.
    Undoubtedly he's worn some hairpieces, especially in the Trek Movies, but I don't think he is now or ever was bald.
    I've seen lotsa really high res pics of the Shat where his hairline looks way too natural to be anything other than his real hair.
    Here's a pic where the hairline looks VERY natural, but sparse, like Vance said.

http://www.jewoftheday.com/Ulpan/Images/WilliamShatner.jpg

-Rabittooth

EDIT:

Have a look at B. Fraser here:

http://www.ireporter.tv/Upload/bluraymovie.tv/mummy3-brendan.jpg

and HERE:

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/12_01/BRENDAN1104_468x515.jpg

Big difference.

20. CaptainHawk1

CaptainHawk1 Commodore

...and says??? :wtf: