IDIC/McCullars website gone

Discussion in 'Web Sites/Design' started by Outpost4, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

As of November 1st, if you went to an AOL Hometime hosted webpage, you got this screen which said that the service has been discontinued:

http://www.peopleconnectionblog.com/2008/09/03/how-to-download-your-hometown-files/

This unfortunately took down one of the best sites on early Star Trek models and miniatures, the IDIC site put together by William McCullars. Anybody know Mr. McCullars and if he had his website backed up? Does he plan to host it elsewhere?

2. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I have no idea about the fate of the web site... so I just sent him an email and asked.

3. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

That's a shame. I'm neither into plastic or 3D modeling, but I frequently visited his website to admire the level of detail that went into those filming models (especially the TMP Enterprise).

4. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

What was the URL of the original site? you could look it up on the wayback machine, maybe pull an email address and contact the guy.

5. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

I went looking for this site last night when someone in the TOS forum asked about pics of the Phase II Enterprise. McCullars' site was the first place I thought of. I'm sure he kept everything archived, and we'll see a new version of it soon.

6. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

William wrote back. He said that he has archived the site, and that he is weighing his options.

7. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok, oldish thread, but I just found out. Yikes! Does he need donations or anything? The IDIC page wasn't just a reference, it's a institution.

8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Damn, first this, now GeoCities is going away. What the hell is going on around here? All these wonderful big companies deciding that nobody wants web hosting any more?

9. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unnerving, but there are still options out there, I'm sure.

10. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

There are still options. I've just moved my Kes Website from Geocities to 110.mb.com.

11. Astrobeej

Astrobeej Ensign Newbie

12. RobertMfromLI

RobertMfromLI Lieutenant Red Shirt

I offered to host it for him for free... he said he may consider it, or may not... I think he opted not to. Sadly.

I think I will re-contact him and see if he will change his mind.

-Rob

13. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

14. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

I could be wrong (hope I am at least), but all signs point towards the end of inexpensive internet functionality for the average user. Companies want to get rid of the "nickel and dime" websites now that people have "My Space", "Facebook", et al.

This is the same sort of "why are we bothering" bs that is getting us "throttled" downloads and a move towards sliding-scale access fees depending on how much you transfer and how long you're logged in...

15. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

^^
    This is a "development" I really hate. I cringe when I think of having my Kes Website (or some cheap, downgraded version of it) on Facebook or Myspace or some similar silly site. :angryrazz:

It also increase my hatred to those greedy companies and "people in suits" who only care about money. Talk about killing people's creativity. I wonder how many great, informative and funny sites which have dissapeared the recent years because of greed and stupidity from "people in suits".

16. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

^Too many. I have a TON of links in my favorites files that have gone dead...

17. Retrograde Orbit

Retrograde Orbit Lieutenant Red Shirt

This was a fantastic site. I used it for reference all the time. It seems as if all the best Star Trek sites have died a death...

Sad. Seems like the end of an era in some ways.

18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Agreed. I suspect there are some relatively inexpensive co-lo's out there, but I'm thinking they're getting few and far between.