Firefly worth it?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by sbk1234, Jul 7, 2009.

1. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've never seen even one episode of Firefly, but I keep noticing the entire series on DVD for about $30, which doesn't seem like a whole lot of money. I rarely ever buy DVDs completely sight unseen. So, I'd love opiniopns of people who have seen it. Do you recomend it or not?

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Absolutely yes.

3. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Hell yeah..

Firefly is an awesome show that hit the ground running and managed to build a universe and characters in mere 14 episodes (something other shows struggle to do far into their 2nd full season).

Sadly it was cut short due to mismanagement and no faith by Fox TV.

Just watch it.. it has everything you may want from a show. Drama, humor, sexy women, mystery and action.. the perfect mix.

4. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

It's worth $30, yes. It's worth more than the entire run of the X-Files (my second favorite show) IMO.

5. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, boy, I can't believe you opened up a Firefly thread. Yeah, it's worth it but I paid 13.99 at Costco-best DVD deal I've ever gotten.

6. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

If you like westerns then yes. If not, it can be hard going in the first few episodes but in the long run it's a very good series.

Despite what everyone says, the series works best as a short-lived show, with the movie as a nice bookend finale. I can see Whedon burning the series out like Buffy had it gone to multiple seasons.

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

It probably is worth it, but I'd offer a word of warning. I came to the Firefly party pretty late, so had several years of people on forums going on about how brilliant it was. As a result I watched it with very high expectations and was, I'm afraid to say, dissapointed.

It is enjoyable, but it's nowhere near to being the best series evah!!!! that some people claim. It has a great cast, but the cast is also top heavy (thankfully sorted somewhat in the film) it has some good episodes, but too often any danger the cast are put in is resolved very easily, so there's limited dramatic tension at times.

I'm not trying to put you off, it is enjoyable, especially for the cast interactions, and I love the film, just suggesting that if you buy it try to come at it with an open mind and don't expect it to be brilliant perfection.

8. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

It's not the greatest show ever, it's not crap. It's worth it for that price.

9. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Totally worth it. Do yourself a favour and buy it.

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Almost certainly yes.

11. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

Dude - buy it. Watch it. Love it. Live it.

Gooble gobble, gooble gobble... we will make you one of us! ONE OF US!

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

First blind buy I ever made on DVD. I'd say yes.

13. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well worth it in my opinion.

I'd seen "The Train Job" and wasn't sure at the time but I picked up the dvd when it came out. I enjoyed the series as a whole:)

14. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

No, I doubt you'll find an enthusiastic fan anywhere on the internet...

15. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you can, see if you can find it at your local video store and rent it out, better to lose a couple of dollar rather than $30.

I introduced 10-12 people to Firefly only around a quarter have really liked the show and of them only one has bought the DVDs.

16. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

Same here, I totally loved it. Sort of the flipside of Trek- questionable, sometimes evil government, and heroes forced to the lawless side of gettin' by.

17. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

It's on sale a lot for less than $20, near the holidays it will be about $15-$18.

Plus just ignore the horrible continuation in the movie.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I picked up on Firefly after it was cancelled, because a young friend of mine - someone who couldn't care less about most sf/fantasy - was such a big fan.

I found the money spent on the DVDs was certainly worthwhile. I love the series and have rewatched many of the episodes more than once.

I also liked the feature film, Serenity, quite a bit.

19. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

Serenity is one of the best movies of all time. Talk like that again, and I'll set the Reavers on ya! Or I'll force you to watch Spock's Brain over & over a la Clockwork Orange.

:guffaw:

20. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I can see the arguments both for and against the movie; but regardless, the series is well worthwhile.