New Comic Book Star Trek: Nero

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by elric428, Jun 11, 2009.

1. elric428

elric428 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Mike Johnson & Tim Jones (w) o David Messina (a & c) From STAR TREK writer/producers Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman and the creative team behind the best-selling prequel comic STAR TREK: COUNTDOWN comes an all-new story set within the events of the hit film! Not an adaptation, this exclusive story follows the villainous Nero as he seeks to destroy the Federation.

http://heavyink.com/comic/10157-Star-Trek-Nero-1

2. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Very nice picture. I don't read comics, but Countdown was good; so I am thinking about this. Have you used that website successfully before?

3. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

I hope it will resolve some things not addressed in the film, such as where Nero and his crew were for 25 years until Spock emerged into that time period. Also, the bald look with the tattoos have many wondering if that's how all Romulans look.

IDW puts out some great stuff in Star Trek. Let's hope this will be as good.

4. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This one was covered in the Countdown comic.

5. mattyhugh

mattyhugh Commander Red Shirt

Wasn't the Narada and the crew interned by the Klingons? Or that is now passe because we don't want to have super advanced Klingons?

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Well, not really. In the comic, Nero's crew shaved their heads and got their tattoos after Romulus was destroyed, as an act of mourning. However, in the movie it's shown that Nero's wife was also tattooed, in a holographic scene which clearly took place before there was ever any threat to Romulus. So obviously they were all tattooed way before, so the question now is why? Some kind of mining clan colors? And why did they all shave their heads?

7. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

I recall seeing the pic of the wife but she was never tattooed.

8. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

She could still have been tattooed in the comic since she was wearing much more clothing. And who is to say those tattoos she had didn't represent that she was mourning something already? She was after all not bald, and Kaleh went bald.

9. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

P.S. More Kaleh!

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Not in the "Countdown" comic, but the brief, tiny hologram we saw in the movie seemed to indicate she had some markings on her forehead.

But... maybe those markings are like a temporary henna tattoo, which she wore from time to time, and Nero made his own tattoos permanent, to remind him of his wife.

It's all vague enough for wriggle room.

Why do some bikie gangs shave their heads?

11. elric428

elric428 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

12. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

Learned my leason the first time, wont be picking this UP.:vulcan:

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Cool. I consider most of Countdown canon. Its an enjoyable expansion of the ST movie and no doubt this will be too.

14. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So in other words the comic explained it, but the movie brought up another point, and so now the comic's explanation isn't right and it should be explained with a different explanation in the next comic?

15. Therin of Andor

The guys writing the comic, based on a story suggested by the screenwriters, probably had seen any footage, let alone a brief, small hologram of Nero's wife in the movie with her faint, barely-visible forehead markings.

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed Countdown and it's my second Trek TPB that I ever bought, the first being the Ashes of Eden adaption. Why does Nero appear to be blue on the cover? He suddenly become Bolian or Andorian? That must be a coloring thing. I'd like to see the fight against the 47 Klingon birds of prey and his time on the Klingon prison, I wonder if it was suppossed to be Rura Penthe?

17. Therin of Andor

The cover? Young Nero is rendered in grey, Old Spock in blue, Data/B4 in red and Ambassador Picard in gold.

[​IMG]

It's a homage to the film teaser poster, where Old tattooed Nero was in b/w, Young Spock in blue, Young Uhura in red and Young Kirk in gold.

[​IMG]

18. Jayson

Jayson Vice Admiral Admiral

I will only read it if is considered canon. :)

Jason

19. Therin of Andor

In that case wipe every licensed ST tie-in - and unlicensed fanfic - from your mind.

20. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

>>I really enjoyed Countdown and it's my second Trek TPB that I ever bought, the first being the Ashes of Eden adaption.<<

I also enjoyed The Ashes of Eden, and I'm looking forward to the movie writers' untangling some of the things that got cut out of the film.

I must say that IDW Publishing produces some great Trek, and I recommend anyone who likes Star Trek and comics to give them a try.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009