So, where is the black hole?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Creedence, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Creedence

Creedence Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Can someone shed light where the black hole is that marks the final battle between Enterprise and Nero?

-> Enterprise hid out at Saturn (Titan in particular)
    -> Spock warps away from Earth with Nero on his six
    -> Enterprise joins the fight and pops its warp cores to avoid the SUPER MASSIVE balck hole.

Given the amount of red matter that was consumed in the creation of that black hole, is it close enough to Earth (say, a short warp flight) to be a threat to humanity?

2. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

That depends on how the red matter works, we really don't know. I would expect the writers wouldn't want it to remain a threat, so they could easily come up with an explanation why it isn't still around. For instance, the size of the black hole might depend on the amount of normal matter the red matter has to react with. In which case it would probably have a really small event horizon.

3. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps the amount of red matter doesn't actually matter, an event horizon is an event horizon, maybe they're all the same size, regardless of how much red matter is used.

Also we don't know how long they were in warp for, could have been a while, so as to get far from Earth.

4. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they put in that little warping-away side plot just so they could get the black hole out of the Sol system.

5. Creedence

Maybe... I got the impression that if a little red matter will eat a planet, the more matter used, the black holier things get.

Who knows. Just curious.

6. Jeri

I think the amount of red matter matters, too. Else the Vulcans wouldn't have put so much on the Jellyfish when a little dab might do them.

7. Creedence

Good point. This confirms the theory that more red matter makes bigger singularities. The warp flight from Sol seemed pretty short. I hope that really, really big black hole doesn't eat my star system. :)

8. Creedence

Stupid lag. LAAAAAAAG!!!

9. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well yes, I think it's a pretty obvious suggestion to say that more red matter = bigger blackhole. That's using basic logic.

The point is, we're trying to find reasons why for all intents and purposes what seemed like 10,000 times more red matter didn't create a black hole that looked any bigger than the first one involving Spock/Nero. It should have been enough to consume a solar system, but it didn't.

It's easy to say, more red matter means bigger black hole, but that's not how it happened.

And yes, of course the warp away subplot gave them an excuse to get away from Earth.

10. Jeri

Kpnuts, I am aware of what you're trying to do. The points I'm making is that it may not be possible to do so, given the information at hand.

11. Iconian

Iconian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Maybe that's the next movie's plot. Kirk & Co. seal massive black hole threatening Sector 001 using blue matter. :bolian:

12. NiteTrek

NiteTrek Captain

The Final black hole...

A friend of mine who really isn't a Trek fan went and saw the movie and loved it. He actually saw it twice.

He did have a "plot hole" type question that I couldn't answer.

Where did the final battle between the Enterprise and the Narada take place? Wasn't it near Saturn or one of its moons?

His questions was...since the entire quantity of red matter was detonated creating a black hole that pulled the Narada into it (as the Enterprise fired at it), shouldn't this black hole in our solar system create some other problems, like pulling Saturn or one of the moons in with it?

We saw where just a drop was enough to collapse a planet into itself so what about the whole load of red matter? Seems like it would have created a huge black hole.

I didn't really have an answer for him. Did the Enterprise's ejected warp cores somehow close the hole? I suppose that's as good an answer as any.

13. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Re: The Final black hole...

The movie played fast and loose with black hole physics, really. One has to assume that for some reason, the initial attractive force at creation time is far higher than the normal gravity a black hole of the corresponding mass would have; that's the only way a few drops could suck in a whole planet.

Perhaps once that initial effect wears off, the resulting black hole will collapse down to the size and gravity that a black hole with a mass approximately equal to that of the Narada would normally have, EG, almost none.

This would actually make sense in the context of the movie----opening a black hole that close to Romulus would have been just as bad as the supernova otherwise. One has to assume that the "red matter effect" wears off quickly and, if the black hole doesn't evaporate entirely, it at least becomes far less of a problem.

14. USSPhilippi

USSPhilippi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ahem.

15. NiteTrek

NiteTrek Captain

Sorry...I usually don't scroll past the first or second page when I'm visiting. Mods can feel free to merge the threads. (Not that you need my permission or anything.) :)

16. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

On the other hand, less normal matter = smaller black hole.

So perhaps 1 RM * 1 Planet = 1000 RM * 1 Starship?

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I'll take care of that now. :)

18. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

We can safely assume that Spock warped to a fairly safe part of Federation space far away from Earth.

19. Jeri

Uhura was monitoring his frequency; so they could follow him and show up where he was. In the book, it explains her trip to the transporter room included an errand to give both Kirk and Spock transponders.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  20. BorgPhil

BorgPhil Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I assumed all the red matter-created black holes pretty much collapsed in on themselves straight away