Lightning storm in space?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by T J, Jun 1, 2009.

1. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Spoilers beyond!

Something I missed. When the Narada first appears the crew of the Kelvin describe it as a lightning storm in space.

Then when the Narada is attacking Vulcan again it is described a lightning storm in space…

Here is what I don’t get. When the Narada pops out of the black hole I assumed the “lightning storm” was due to the large ship tearing free of the black hole. When it attacked Vulcan where was the lightning?

What did I miss?

2. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

It was from Spock's ship coming through the rift.

3. Dart

Dart Commodore Commodore

Good point actually, the first time was as a result of the time travel we assume. What about the second?

EDIT: Ah yes, Spock came through 25 years later with Nero waiting for him.

4. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

People have explained that it's a result of Spock's arrival. There's no explanation on-screen, though. And one would wonder how he would just happen to arrive at Vulcan of all places. :rolleyes:

Same reason he would just happen to be stuck on Delta Vega a few dozen meters from Kirk's crash landing point, I assume...

5. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

In the scene where the Narada captures the Jellyfish, Ayel informs Nero they are at the coordinates Nero stipulated, but nothing is there. No mention is made of Vulcan.

In the book, Ayel is trepidacious about pointing out nothing is there to Nero. What I wondered is how Nero knew when and where the Jellyfish would come through.

I don't have a problem with Delta Vega. Both Spock and Kirk got dumped off with gear near a Federation outpost, on the same trajectory from Vulcan to Earth.

6. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Ah, so the second lightning storm was Spock Prime arriving. OK. :techman:

7. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

Spock didn't arrive at Vulcan. The sequence of events is this:

- First anomoly opens at a point near the Klingon border (I'll have to go see it again to tell you exactly when/where this is stated, bt I'm 90% sure the general location is mentioned.) Narada comes through, battles the Kelvin.
    - 25 years pass (not going to include the deleted scenes stuff here, the point is the Narada is somewhere, waiting, calculating point and time of Spock's arrival.)
    - Spock shows up out of the second anomoly, Narada is waiting, captures Spock.
    - Klingons show up at the site of the anomoly, battle Narada, 47 ships lost.
    - Narada departs for Vulcan with Spock on board.
    - Uhura translates Klingon intercepts post-battle, stating number of ships lost to a Romulan vessel, and a "lightning storm."
    - Narada arrives at Delta Vega (or whatever that planet should have been called) and maroons Spock there.
    - Narada attacks Vulcan.

8. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

The lightning storm report came in during Kirk's hearing.

The Klingon attack came in the day before and was translated by Uhura. Not many people, including Pike, had any idea that the Klingon vs. Narada battle occurred.

9. FrankR

FrankR Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

He didn't arrive at Vulcan.
    In the crew briefing Checkov says (something like) deep space telemetry detected the lightning storm near (in?) the neutral zone; then goes on to say that shortly later Vulcan began experiencing seismic disturbances.

10. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Peter the Younger, Chekov's announcement about their rescue mission to Vulcan included the lightning storm in space. It would have to be regarding Vulcan, because they didn't know about Uhura's intercept regarding Klingons at that point.

11. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

Ah, right, so the Klingon battle happened before that. But the point is, it didn't show up at Vulcan, but at some point calculated by the Narada crew.

12. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If I recall? They did mention a lightning storm. Because Kirk ran up to the bridge to get them to stop the ship, and he remember reading about the same thing happening on the day of his birth. Also say that the same thing happen at the Klingon border, were 47 Klingon ships were destroy.
    If you put it this way? Nero ship came through the first one, Spock the second one. So what came through the third one ? Another ship from the future?

13. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

Why didn't they just call it a spatial rift?

14. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

"A what rift?"*

(*Response of general audience guy)

15. neozeks

neozeks Captain Captain

What, the general audience guy doesn't know what spatial is? :vulcan: Space > spatial

16. yenny

It is known as a temporal rift. A rift means a fracture or tear.

17. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

D'oh! I didn't, what with english only being my second language and all. I only know the word from Trek and didn't make the connection to the word space at all for some reason. Probably because it's written differently. For me it always represented a piece of technobabble that I dismissed without looking it up.
    Well, you learn something new everyday.
    I already knew what a rift is, though. ;)

18. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

The percentage of the viewing audience that understood that the external inertial dampeners actually were the damned parking brakes, probably could follow along with a rift. Though they should probably make it a half naked orion lensflare rift, just to be sure.

19. neozeks

neozeks Captain Captain

Good for you ;)

:guffaw::rommie: :lol: But, dude, lightning storm is so much more FUN :nyah:

20. yenny

The Vulcan High Command had pick up a anomaly near the neutral zone, that is causing seismic activity on Vulcan. The anomaly appears to be a lightning storm in space. This message was sent out before any drilling started.