Perception-Class Starship

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Josheua, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Josheua

Josheua Ensign Newbie

Hello All,

Some of you may know me from other sites where I post my work (most prominently Deviant Art, Scifi-meshes, and Star Trek Online). A while back, i started a refit of my Perception-Class starship to bring it in line with JJ Abrams interpretation of Star Trek. (including his sense of scale, use of tech, etc.) What you see below is what I have so far and I will continue to flesh out the design. I have also included my interpretation of a 25th century LCARS for the vessel.

Port View:
    [​IMG]
    FULL VIEW (12221x1801): http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/150/0/3/The_Perception_View_1_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg

Bow View:
    [​IMG]
    FULL VIEW (6576x1801): http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs46/f/2009/151/9/1/The_Perception_View_2_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg

Helm Console:
    [​IMG]
    FULL VIEW (3878x1092): http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs42/f/2009/134/9/6/JJ_Perception_Helm_Final_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg

Operations Console:
    [​IMG]
    FULL VIEW (3878x1092): http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/149/b/7/JJ_Perception_Operations_Final_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg

Ship Specifications:

PERCEPTION-CLASS STARSHIP:

Physical Attributes:
    Length: 1525m (5008 ft)
    Height: 173m (567.6 ft)
    Width: 619m (tentative) (2030 ft)
    Decks: 26 (5.5m per deck)

Population:
    Crew: 2,400 (2,000 enlisted, 400 officers)
    Civilians: 6,000 max

Armament and Defenses:
    Weapons:
    x22 Quad Pulse Phaser Turrets (Flak/PDP/Salvo Modes)
    x10 Type XVI Phaser Banks (Rapid Fire/Continuous/Full Charge-Discharge Modes)
    x3 Type II Modular Phased Energy Cannons
    x6 Heavy Torpedo Launchers (High Yield Quantum, Transdimensional)
    x40 Cruise Missiles (2 Launchers)
    Defenses:
    Dual Layer Regenerative Shielding Screens
    40cm High Density Self Assembling/Reassembling Decatanium Armor

Propulsion
    Velocity Information:
    Warp (Max): 9.998
    Warp (Cruise): 8.042
    Impulse (Max): .75c
    Equipment Information:
    1x Generation 2 Benamite Enhanced Quantum Slipstream Core
    2x Centauri-Utopia Dilithium-less Reactor Cores
    4x Fusion Auxiliary Power Nodes
    4x Fusion Powered Impulse Clusters

Support Craft:
    x100 Type XVI Shuttlecraft
    x50 Valkyrie Mk. IV Fighters
    x50 Type XX Cargo Shuttles
    x4 Stormchaser-Class Runabouts
    x30 Type V Workerbee's
    x4 Cherubim-Class Dropships

Equipment:
    Marine Orbital Insertion Pods
    Antimatter Processing Facility
    Equipment Fabrication Center

And More to Come...

2. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like it, i really do.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Looks Great! Love the images, but 100 shuttlecraft? are these small 2 man shuttles? Otherwise I would think the internal volume taken up would be prohibitive even at JJ scale.

Also, you indicate only 26 decks but a height of over 500feet which would infer that your decks are around 20ft tall? If they are actually closer to 10feet, then you need to adjust your measurements list for height, width and length.

Ah, just saw the 5.5 meter per deck measurement. Wow, even for TNG timeframe, this seems luxuriant 19.8 feet per deck. Even using some of that for crawlspace/plumbing/framework, you still have very tall ceilings.

You either need to double the number of decks and add windows appropriately or adjust the numbers in your description back to what I suspect they used to be.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  4. Josheua

Josheua Ensign Newbie

Sojourner, this should help explain the decks and the reason for the 5.5m deck height. In the JJ Abrams verse we also saw decks that had extremely high ceilings or large spaces so i was trying to reflect that. It wasn't just a pure scaling issue and I was trying to create a ship interior that wouldn't cater to just humanoid species but perhaps species larger maximum height. Furthermore, I never really liked the idea of cramped crawl spaces for accessing critical engineering systems such as the EPS systems, etc, so i wanted to create an engineering space above the corridors that provided crewman a bit more spacious access to the ships EPS, Water, and Atmosphere conduits. This, in conjunction with larger through deck spaces and overhead engineering equipment spaces makes for the 5.5m deck spacing.

As for the shuttle numbers. The ship has two primary bays. A saucer bay and a engineering hull bay. Doing a basic layout configuration I found that the engineering bay could hold 60 large shuttles easily on a 3 tier system with spacing similar to that of the JJ-prise. This meant that the much larger saucer shuttlebay would provide even more spacing leading me to a comfortable 100 primary shuttles, 50 cargos, etc. that you see above. Trust me, quite a bit of detailed thought went into this design in conjunction with the new movie, and if you look at the windows and do some spacing calculations on the new Enterprise, you will see she carries quite a few shuttles and actually has similar 5.5m tall decks from what we see window spacing wise.

[​IMG]

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So, in reality, you have 2 decks for every deck listed. 1 is an engineering deck and the other is operating space so to speak. As for the scale of the JJ Enterprise, the less said the better.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Fantastic illustrations! I like it.

7. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I like it. It reminds me a lot of what my group uses for our Enterprise.

8. BorgMan

BorgMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the corridor could be a little bit less high; this is a bit of a waste of space in a vessel that hasn't that much space anyway. The upper Jefferies tube is fine, though. I'd also advice to tone down the curve of the wall just a little bit; in my opinion it's fine to have curved walls (I like them as well), but these corridors took it a bit to the max. How did you plan on making doors in them?

9. Josheua

Josheua Ensign Newbie

The reason for the corridor height is to provide ship access to visiting species who may not be restricted by our 2.5m cap. And the curvature if you notice is to provide out of walk way access space for the local monitoring stations which are designed to allow for localized diagnostics in a "station like" format. Furthermore, this illustrates primarily the layout of corridors in heavier traffic areas of the ship and other areas will feature adjusted corridor sizes for that areas region of traffic.

10. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just started to follow you on deviantart. I gotta check your work out on ScifiMeshes then too. Haven't been there in ages. Love the design through. Can't wait to see more of the LCARS cuz I love that too.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like it :)

its a like a 24th or 25th century version of the new Enterprise :techman:

12. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Josheua, these look outstanding! I really like the 'feel' of your consoles; they're a nicely-imaginative evolution of the tried-and-true LCARS.

Since it appears that you don't have PM capabilities yet, please e-mail me at ptrope at gmail dot com; I have a proposal for your skills, if you're interested.

13. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Beautiful work!

14. Josheua

Josheua Ensign Newbie

15. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Very nice design... I'm usually not that enamored with Uber-mega-ships :) but it does seem very much like a NuTrek Sovereign class. Nice attention to detail.

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

17. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

I'm liking the consuls a lot very nice indeed.The ships pretty good too

18. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Damn, that is one slick ship.

Certainly outdoes the Enterprise-E, IMHO.

19. FrankR

FrankR Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm a little confused with you're offline/online widgets... are those part of the interface or is that suppose to be the hardware?

20. Josheua

Josheua Ensign Newbie

The online/offline "widgets" as you describe them represent the device in both "online" (with the blue holographics projected) and "offliine" The idea being the device can fold open and project the holographic information and still provide a user with something tactile to interact with. (also something tactile to provide the power, the projection units, etc.) Hope that explains and thanks everyone for the positive feedback.