Stuff you simply LOVED...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Bad Atom, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bad Atom

Bad Atom Commodore Commodore

There are plenty of negative topics around here, lots of nit-picking and such, which is fine. No movie is without its flaws, even this one.

But I'm in a good mood right now, and I want to discuss the things in the movie that you just flat-out LOVED. Funny lines, bad-ass "Hell yeah!" moments, whatever you want. Here's my personal list:

• Captain Robau was an instantly believable and competent captain in the few minutes he was on-screen. (Compare him to the weaselly captains from past movies whose sole purpose was to make Kirk look better by comparison.)
    • Both instances of "silence in space" were incredibly effective.
    • I'm a sucker for people talking to their loved ones as they're about to die, so the opening sequence was downright moving. The music really sold it as well.
    • Kirk hitting on and getting shut down by Uhura in the bar. Great performances and sharp, witty writing (side note, my spell-check just tried to substitute Uhura with "urethra").
    • Captain Pike was the unsung hero of the movie. Every scene he was in was gold. And at the end, when he was in the wheelchair wearing the TMP admiral's uniform? Made my day.
    • "Hi, Christopher, I'm Nero." We definitely needed more of Nero.
    • "I like this ship!" Much funnier in the movie than the trailer.
    • The last scene with Spock and Sarek was pitch-perfect. "I married your mother because I loved her." I have a feeling these characters will get along slightly better than their original-universe counterparts.
    • The image of the Enterprise rising up from the dust of Saturn. The CGI was flawless throughout, but that scene was a standout.
    I could easily think of more, but I want to hear everyone else's as well. Share the stuff you simply loved in this movie!

2. Aike

Aike Commander Red Shirt

The fact that the movie was serious and silly at the same time just like TOS.

3. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    All you said.

The characterisation, the dialogues, the CGI, the music, the character interactions, Captain Pike, the Kobayashi Maru scene, Nero's "Hi Christopher" line (comedy gold), Scotty (and the scaly Ewok), and, most of all,

no reset button. No deus ex machina. The fact that actions have consequences, like, real ones. Not just for characters that don't matter.

Very, very cool visuals.

The fast pacing. I actually liked that a lot.

The lack of info dump. That one really kills all excitement.

4. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

When Spocked turned down the offer at the Vulcan Science Academy and chose Starfleet instead. I cheered.

5. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Some of the most gut wrenching scenes in Trek, ever. The loss of Vulcan was an incredibly powerful and moving scene as was the Kelvins show down with the Narada. Honestly, that alone makes this movie worth the price of admission lol

I also loved how the movie blended comedy and action together so perfectly. It was the first time the humor in trek was funny since the voyage home back in 86.

6. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I loved everything, it was a perfect Star Trek film, humour drama valour sacrifice and THAT MOMENT when the Enterprise comes out of warp to save Spock, the music, the moment, the magic.. perfect!

Well except the Ice Planet Hoth rip off from Star Wars.. what was that about?

7. T'Paul

T'Paul Commander

I loved how Kirk found Spock in the cave. It's like they were destined to be together.

8. T'Paul

T'Paul Commander

Two Star Wars ripoffs for the price of one. They also ripped off the "bigger fish" thing from the first prequel.

9. CommanderRaytas

Yes that was incredibly cool. His "live long and prosper" sounded a lot like "fuck you all" to me, hehe. And the music connecting this scene with the next underlined that.

10. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

All of this, especially Pike. I want a Captain Pike movie, too. :( I'll add:

• "How the hell did he beat your test?" [Pan over to Spock]
    • Cho's Sulu. He radiated confidence and competence, even when he was screwing up, which is quite a feat.
    • The reveal of Spock Prime. Yeah, Kirk running into the cave where he just happened to be strained credibility, but everything after that was gold. His entrance, the dramatic push-in, Spock turning full-on to face the camera...
    • Amanda to Spock: "Whatever you decide to do, know that you will always have a proud mother." *sniff*
    • "So her name--" "I have no comment on the matter."
    • Nero asking to have Pike fly over to the Narada to negotiate. We knew what this portended, but the characters didn't. Scary stuff.
    • Pike has already been mentioned, but more specifically, his grabbing Olson, Sulu and Kirk, hopping on the shuttle and dumping them over the drill. He cooked up that plan in about half a second and implimented it in about five seconds. The guy is good.

11. Jolantru

Jolantru Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Scotty test beaming Admiral Archer's prized beagle in to transwarp beam. Poor Porthos!

12. CommanderRaytas

We need more Pike in our lives.

13. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

At the very least Pike, Spock, and Kirk did.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  14. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Ahhh yes, the double, missed that.. very annoying because A: it's unoriginal and B: it's almost as if they are conceding to Star Wars

15. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Kirk having his ass handed to him by Spock.. what a fantastic scene and proof what we all knew that if push came to shove Kirk would have stood little chance against his friend.

Most other scenes have been mentioned.. the opening scene and especially the death of George Kirk (i had a lump in my throat :(), the humor (especially Chekov and Scotty.. especially Scotty with his "Where the hell have you been and did you bring food?" introduction :guffaw::guffaw:), the iconic special effects scenes and the quieter moments.

Despite its flaws it is perhaps THE movie of 09 for me and i hope to god the sequels are as good and that we get a TV show of this calibre in the future.

16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Well....to be a nitpicker....wasn't it Titan's atmosphere the Enterprise rose out of? They did talk about hiding behind Titan earlier.

Also, the Kirk fight scene(s) music was very reminiscent of the TOS music from similar fight scenes.

This was much funnier since we got it in the proper context in the movie.

And I have to say, as the first actual movie I ever saw in IMAX....frickin' mind blowing.

17. Aike

Aike Commander Red Shirt

Zoe.

18. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The end credits, the new arrangement of the theme tune was fantastic.

The kelvin scenes were awesome.

19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

As if Star Wars itself didn't lift from a zillion sources... including single environment planets and one big hungry peril being eaten by a bigger hungrier peril.

20. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

The casting was spot-on. There wasn't a single miscast actor. How often can you say that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.