HYPERION: Cast & 3D

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Johnny, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Johnny

Johnny Commander Red Shirt

I thought I'd post up the (subject to some details ;) ) final crew listing for Hyperion, for filming in June.

Captain Richard Connell
    [​IMG]

Commander Rhys Bruggeman
    [​IMG]

Commander Myra Elizabeth Miller
    [​IMG]

Lieutenant Commmander Magnus Lester
    [​IMG]

CEO Commander Daniel Larson
    [​IMG]

CMO Commander Susan Rhoads (nearly confirmed!)
    [​IMG]

Lieutenant/JG Ellen McCabe
    [​IMG]

And some snippits of 3D that mr-magic-3d friend has kindly supplied. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would always welcome a bit of banter!
    ¬ J.

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Okay, I'll watch it. :D

3. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

HYPERION

Johnny,
    Your login name says you are in Birmingham UK.
    Are you filming 'Hyperion' in the UK?

Will you plan on having a blog during pre-production (building sets/costuming/etc.)? A blog during production?
    If not can you post some production stills here on this thread while in production?

What is your timeline for editing, CGI post production, sound work and finishing?

4. Johnny

Re: HYPERION

Wow, didn't even take twisting ur arm!

Well, if I'd ever done a blog before then I probably would! We're doing some publicity photos while everyone's together for that week, and should have a photographer on set for the shoot, so there should be some periodic photo releases over the few months after it.

Also, we're looking into streaming the whole event across the net from a static camera on the ceiling, while it's being filmed. So people can be nosey about whats going on.

Timeline for a 10/15 section of the film is set for November while the filming of other scenes carries on over the months between. Costuming is already well on it's way, and as soon as we've got one up to spec I'll post it up.
    Editing, AE and Colour Correction will take a couple of months, and the 3D is at around 30/40% of the way through. Animating started two days ago.

Props are a bit behind, but we're looking into what we can do to speed up the process.

I won't go into paperwork...all I'll mention is Risk Assessment! *shudders* :rolleyes:

And yeah, all UK based, but in Stafford. The actors are giving up their free time coming from London, Liverpool, Birmingham, and Cardiff. Some are Stafford based which helps a lot.

5. Johnny

Just a couple of additions. This is the aspect ratio that we're working in. 2.2 I think? I'll have to check on that one.

[​IMG]

And an altered graphic for the MSD, kindly provided by Deif.
    [​IMG]

And a 2.4 x 1.2 metre test print of the same;

[​IMG]

6. Michael

Serendipity is a very nice name for a ship. :techman:

Oh, and good work on the okudagram, too.

7. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

'HYPERION' tech specs

Johnny,

for a fan film 'Star Trek: Hyperion' you should stick with 1.78:1 (HD ratio). All of the Star Trek feature films including the new 2009 film were 2.35:1 aspect ratio except
    Star Trek VI:TUC which was 2:1 .

ST: Enterprise TV series was 1.78:1 .
    You should stick to 1.78:1 as when you make it available online it will appear bigger on websites as Vimeo and Youtube's now standard 1.78:1 framing. It is the standard and you make full use of a HD camera's sensor.
    If you manage to get it onto any of these
    Netflix (via Roku box, XBOX360, or TiVo Series3, HD, or HD XL DVRs ), the iTunes Store, Amazon's Video on Demand, cinemanow.com, Playstation Network, iTunes store, Microsoft Zune store, Hulu, indieflix.com you will want 1.78:1 framing to fill the screen especially if someone downloads it to view on a iPod or Zune small device.

You are not making a big budget feature film so just stick with 1.78:1. It will give you better framing for the action to play without having to cut to wider shots from closeups cutting off the hair. Also your CGI graphics will be rendered with more pixels.

Better to use 24p and controlled depth of field which adds an immense production value. If you can use some fog or a smoke machine properly to add some atmospheric effects and increasing production value.

8. Johnny

Re: 'HYPERION' tech specs

Sorry, thats more inconsistancy on my part than anything else. Ignore the resolution of the 2.2, it's more the shape that I'm trying to get across. The reason why it's in 2.2 is because thats what we get when we put an anamorphic lens on a HD Cam, the height of the set doesn't allow for wider shots left-to-right of the whole bridge in standard HD without getting in the lighting rig.
    I'm not adding black bars or cutting away some of the image, the lens should just squeeze the image on to the CCD, the only time I'll add black bars is when it's being shown somewhere, like you say youtube or such like, if it can't handle the ratio.

As for the CGI, we've not started putting it into scenes yet, it'll match by the time we do.

Might have a glance at those sites you listed though...:)

9. Faldor

Faldor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This seems like it's all coming together nicely!

10. Johnny

Ok, a bit more 3D to tickle some taste buds.

This is being printed at a place in Wolverhampton. It's meant to be in between the VOY badge and the End Game badge.
    [​IMG]

A Starbase;
    [​IMG]

And the pirate ship; (Call me biased, but I really like this one, it's got a uniqueness to it.)
    [​IMG]

11. Johnny

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  12. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

Interesting. I'd have imagined the pirate ship being slightly less spread out, more aerodynamic, less hull area to damage in a running warp-firefight. Such as a Whorfin-Class freighter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Michael

Now that is a pretty nifty design! Looks great. :techman:

By the way, guys, you should really do something about the page-streching of this thread.

14. Johnny

Note's from KnightVision3D were along the lines of the freighter is meant to resemble different parts of other ships. The hammerhead being Cardassian, the dorsal fin being Romulan, and some from species we havent encountered. Very much a kitbash by design, and meant to feel heavy.

15. Johnny

Couple of additions. The next few weeks are going to be an onslaught of sewing. Latest and most complete Uniform to date.

[​IMG]

And a FANTASTIC Excelsior render;

[​IMG]

16. Johnny

Wood came this morning, and we started a 15 hour stint of construction and mistake making! Couple of pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks great, can't wait to see more.

And yeah, you got some nice looking ladies on board. that's always a bonus. ;)

18. Michael

Looks good so far. Wow, this must be exciting. :)

19. Johnny

Yeah, I jump around like a 4 year old child when no one's looking! :D
    More pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy.