Lower Decks Fanfic Question(s)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Dingo, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Dingo

Dingo Captain Captain

Anyone know about any concrete policies for officer/crew interactions in Starfleet? I recall one part of Investigations where Neelix mentioned a Crewman and a Lieutenant were dating. No one seemed to bat an eye, so I assume that within certain contexts dating between enlisted and officers in the 24th Century Starfleet is OK.

I ask this because I'm writing a fanfic that involves three lower decks characters that appeared in the series (Crewman Tal Celes, Crewman William Telfer, and Petty Officer 3rd Class Ken Dalby (I promoted him for my fic)) and a fourth original character who's a junior officer. In terms of timeline my fic takes place after The Good Shepherd.

Before you go into Gary-Stu bashing mode for me writing Original Characters into Voyager, I go to great lengths to make sure my characters aren't Gary-Stu/Mary Sues. For instance my character, Lieutenant j.g. Henry Kano, is not best buddies with the senior staff, he's not a total klutz nor is he an instant expert who comes up with solutions for everything character. He's a guy who's got a niche and he's comfy with it. (I'll post a bio on him when I'm done writing it).

One subplot to my lower decks fanfic is a Tal Celes/Henry Kano relationship. That's why I asked the question about enlisted/officer relations.

Regards,

Dingo

2. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I know that it was considered Taboo for at least the Captain to have relationships with members of the crew, but not forbidden from TNG. Janeway commented in an early episode of Voyager that she realized that people would begin pairing up aboard the ship so I think that she may be okay with the different level relationships. Except for the case of Chakotay and the man she was with in Workforce (she offered him a post on Voyager but said they couldn't be involved if he accepted).

3. es!

es! Commander Red Shirt

Relationships between crewmembers were okay as long as one person wasn't a subordinate of the other one.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Momentarily B'Elanna was the Fourth Officer and Chief Engineer. Unlikely as it seems, for a while there she was one gas leak away from being Captain, and all the while she was quite publicly dating a mere Ensign. Before that, Ensign Vorrik saw no issues whatsoever in proposing a strenuous and medicinal sexual relationship with the same girl who was his direct commanding officer, without registering the slightest a single impropriety about the question. Meanwhile lowly Ensign Seska tried to sell her naked rights to Chakotay without much success.

Kathryn is a Prude, whatever rules were in place could obviously be bent into a pretzel if a "couple" was invested enough and bloody mad for each other. Considering how brazenly this Captain defied the Prime Directive time after time, it's amazing that she would notice a tiny rule in the periphery asking her to keep her knickers on in mixed company.

Was Neelix outside the chain of command? Whatever rules stopped her from boffing crew, wouldn't have applied to Neelix or Icheb or the Doctor(?No rules against frakking lightbulbs.) and shouldn't have applied to the maquis since they were not real Starfleet Officers at all but just convenient slave labour.

5. es!

es! Commander Red Shirt

Well Vorik was, hm, mentally challenged when he took his chance on B'Elanna, lol

I like your point about the Maquis very much!

6. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

I personally don’t think that there is any protocol outright prohibiting relationships between anyone, the protocol would be against anyone using power to force someone into a relationship. For instance if Kathryn wanted a relationship with Chakotay she could start one unless she knew he might have objections to a relationship and then she would have to wait for him to make the first move. Actually Chakotay was pretty negative about ship board relationships in the episode “Elogium”.

I think it is possible that members of Starfleet personal in relationships were strongly encouraged to remain loyal to those relationships while on long term missions. By this I mean that Janeway being engaged to Mark Johnson would be required to wait until Mark Johnson broke the relationship before she could began another one.

Whatever the ruling, I think it would be based on ethics and not on rank.

Brit

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

And forgetting all about Libby, Harry was dating a Delanney sister in the second episode of season one.

If a sexually Victorian old todger like Picard can have a shipboard romance with that chippie from Stellar cartography, then it's definitely a guideline more so than a regulation.

8. Dingo

Dingo Captain Captain

Thanks for the inputs guys. So I gather a Lieutenant from the security division involved with a crewman from Cartography then wouldn't be frowned upon, considering she doesn't work under him.

Oh, and here's said lieutenant's biography:

Name: Henry Anthony Kano
    Billet: Search and Rescue Team Leader/Security team member.
    Place of Origin: Botany Bay, Australia
    Bio: Henry Kano was born to Manfred and Michelle Kano in Botany Bay, Australia in 2346. He enlisted in Starfleet at seventeen and spent two years aboard the USS Norway. After his first year he put an application to Starfleet Academy. He was accepted in 2363 for the class of 2367. He graduated in 2367, in his own words: 'Right in the middle of my class'.

He classed up with SAR Class 06-2367 (the 6th class of 2367) with 117 other souls. In mid 2368 he graduated with thirty-four other members of this very difficult training course. He was posted with the 172nd Search and Rescue Squadron on the Bajoran frontier. Some of his first rescues were refugees from Bajor, and casualties of the Cardassian War.

He was assigned to Voyager for the Chakotay mission in 2371 with an eight man detachment from the 172nd.

His hobbies include Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (he and Lt. Ayala are regular sparring buddies), surfing, swimming, and rugby.

And some details about the Search and Rescue Community. I got the idea to create said community and based it heavily on the real-life Pararescue units of the US Air Force: (Check out this link here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Air_Force_Pararescue)

Squadrons are commanded by Commanders. Captains command Search and Rescue Wings (Three Squadrons which can cover a sector of Federation space and provide detachments for Starfleet vessels).

Search and Rescue Motto: "So Others May Live."

Three Flights comprise a squadron:

Extraction flight - One company of security personnel that are also highly trained in emergency medical procedures and first responder treatments.
    Evacuation flight - Highly trained surgeons and emergency physicians and various medical specialties.
    Technical Support Flight - Maintenance personnel (engineers), small craft pilots, operations types, transporter experts.

Search and Rescue units deploy as needed through Starfleet. My character's detachment of eight people was sent to Voyager for the Maquis pursuit mission.

Search and Rescue Operatives undergo a year and a half to two year pipeline that combines the security specialty, the engineering specialty, the science and medical tracks and the command track.

Everyone crosstrains in at least one other flight's specialty. In Lt. Kano's case, he was with the Extraction flight, but crosstrained in the evacuation flight. He's more a security officer than a medic, however, though he wears the blue of the medical/sciences division.

Another question on a different track: I know Ayala's first name was never mentioned in the series nor was his background so in my fic I'm gonna give him a first name. Was his home planet ever mentioned? I know he'd most likely have been a colonist from the regions given to Cardassia, but I've got him as coming from Earth and settling on the colony, then joining the Maquis. Does that conflict with canon?

9. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

We actually know next to nothing about Ayala, although he seemed to be Chakotay's right hand man. In fan fiction his first name is Michael pretty much across the board, but in the world of m/m slash his frist name is Gregory.

Brit

10. neogothboy74

neogothboy74 Commander Red Shirt

That's really interesting that the first name is different in slash. Why is that do you think? Anyone?

I like my Trek fic to be slashy. Though I do enjoy C/J fic too. :cool:

11. Dingo

Dingo Captain Captain

Thanks for that bit of information, Brit. I think I'll stick with Michael for his first name and since his home area is never mentioned I'll say he hails from Sao Paolo, Brazil originally. I don't think it's too great of a stretch that my version of Ayala has some knowledge of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (I figure as a security type he'd be knowledgeable about various fighting styles. In the Modern Army Combative's Program, we use a lot of BJJ techniques for hand to hand fighting). Hope that's not too far a stretch for fanfiction.

I think it's because slash fic and regular fanfiction might have two different writers and readers that are fans.

Anyway, any advice on how to avoid making an original character sound like a Mary-Sue? I've written a lot of OCs in my work, and try to avoid making Mary Sues out of them, but advice is always helpful.

12. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

For some reason that just makes him hotter. I didn't think that was even possible. :D

13. Dingo

Dingo Captain Captain

So our Voyager forum MOD likes the silent Latino variety of man? I however think LT Ayala is attached or at least in some seriously committed relationship if he's got sons (2 of them I think?)

Anyway, any advice on avoiding making a Gary-Stu out of an original male character?

14. crohnie

crohnie Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've read fics where Tal ends up with Billy. And I don't know why. So as long as you can justify OC/Tal then go for it!

You shouldn't be too worried about doing an OC. Voyager had ~150 personel but on screen was on 20 30 tops.

If you're still really worried after you have gone into the character's background, then perhaps you could post a sample here and let the board decide?

Good luck

15. Dingo

Dingo Captain Captain

Here's my O/C and some of his background:

Name: Henry Anthony Kano
    Billet: Search and Rescue Team Leader/Security team member.
    Place of Origin: Botany Bay, Australia
    Bio: Henry Kano was born to Manfred and Michelle Kano in Botany Bay, Australia in 2346. His father was a Starfleet Master Chief Petty Officer in the Security community, the former Master at Arms for the penal colony on New Zealand. His mother was a civilian counselor who specialized in dealing with mental issues for Starfleet personnel (she once tried for Starfleet Academy but because of severe space sickness (read: worse than Ezri Dax) she couldn't pass the entrance test). Henry was the eldest of three sons. His childhood was that of the average 24th century child, no non-corporeal lifeforms or extradimensional creatures involved.

Henry enlisted in Starfleet at seventeen and spent two years aboard the USS Norway. After his first year he put an application to Starfleet Academy, endorsed by his department head, the Norway's security chief. He was accepted in 2363 for the class of 2367. He graduated in 2367, in his own words: 'Right in the middle of my class'.

He classed up with SAR Class 06-2367 (the 6th class of 2367) with 117 other souls. In mid 2368 he graduated with thirty-four other members of this very difficult training course. He was posted with the 172nd Search and Rescue Squadron on the Bajoran frontier. Some of his first rescues were refugees from Bajor, and casualties of the Cardassian War.

He was assigned to Voyager for the Chakotay mission in 2371 with an eight man detachment from the 172nd SAR Squadron.

Onboard Voyager, Henry's job is as a security officer, with a secondary assignment assisting the medical department on occassion. The latter is because SAR operatives are the 24th century equivalent of civilian paramedics of the 21st century. Tom Paris is better qualified than Henry at medical work, however. (I figure science department personnel assist the Doctor for mass casualty situations, as I've seen blue uniformed extras assisting in Sickbay during Voyager episodes and that's where I got some ideas for Henry's team assisting the doctor).

His hobbies include Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (he and Lt. Ayala are regular sparring buddies), surfing, swimming, and rugby. His closest friends, other than Lieutenant Ayala are William Telfer and Tal Celes. At the start of the fic, Henry has feelings for Tal, that she doesn't know about, even after six years of friendship.

And some details about the Search and Rescue Community. I got the idea to create said community and based it heavily on the real-life Pararescue units of the US Air Force: (Check out this link here: [COLOR=#bbccff]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...rce_Pararescue[/COLOR])

Squadrons are commanded by Commanders. Captains command Search and Rescue Wings (Three Squadrons which can cover a sector of Federation space and provide detachments for Starfleet vessels).

Search and Rescue Motto: "So Others May Live."

Three Flights comprise a squadron:

Extraction flight - One company of security personnel that are also highly trained in emergency medical procedures and first responder treatments.
    Evacuation flight - Highly trained surgeons and emergency physicians and various medical specialties.
    Technical Support Flight - Maintenance personnel (engineers), small craft pilots, operations types, transporter experts.

Search and Rescue units deploy as needed through Starfleet. My character's detachment of eight people was sent to Voyager for the Maquis pursuit mission.

Search and Rescue Operatives undergo a year and a half to two year pipeline that combines the security specialty, the engineering specialty, the science and medical tracks and the command track.

Everyone crosstrains in at least one other flight's specialty. In Lt. Kano's case, he was with the Extraction flight, but crosstrained in the evacuation flight. He's more a security officer than a medic, however, though he wears the blue of the medical/sciences division.

16. Dingo

Dingo Captain Captain

Here's a sample of my work:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  17. Dingo

Dingo Captain Captain

Damn double post...