Terminator Could Really Happen

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by John Picard, Feb 19, 2009.

1. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

The US Navy's Report

Military’s killer robots must learn warrior code

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

How are you going to teach a robot the difference between a civilian innocent and an identical "civilian" setting off an IED...?

3. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Were fucked! lol

I will take the one of the terminators that look like either Summer Glau or Kristanna Lokken and teach them 'humanity'. )

4. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just read a review in the paper about a book that takes a serious view of the subject, supposedly there are about 40 countries that are doing research on robots in the military. Kinda scary...

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

This is new? The movie is 25 years old and people back then clearly saw the path we were going down.

Live everyday as it is your last because everyday is the first day of the rest of your life, except the day you die.

6. John Picard

25 years ago I would have rolled my eyes at you if you said we'd have flat panel monitors, streaming Internet video, and a phone the size of a pack of cigarettes.

This was not "evident" and don't try to claim it was. The original movie was Sci-Fi and it's interesting the reality could imitate art.

7. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't worry about real-life Terminator problems until somebody builds Skynet. When something like that comes on-line, then we're fucked.

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

There is a tech company that is called something Sky Net. It was on The Daily Show I think the other week, but it was a real tech company.

9. zephramc

zephramc Commodore Commodore

A Terminator-ish future doesn't seem so bad. I mean sure, humanity as a whole is cold, hungry, likely uneducated, and being hunted to extinction by killer robots, but the chicks are hot. :techman:

10. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

I see this as a good thing. I would rather send robots to get destroyed in battle than human beings.

11. John Picard

However, humans could end up becoming collateral damage as well as being brought into the fray to fight robots that have no ethical programming. Ah, what a tangled web we weave.

12. Lt. Trull

Lt. Trull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System
    Ahhh... it's FOUR laws of robotics.... asimov revised it...

4) a robot may not harm humanity or allow humanity to come to harm as long as it doesn't break the first three laws....

13. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

The United States is currently working on a new Supercomputer from what I read recently on Yahoo. It will come online in April 2011.

Conincidentally the Judgment day in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles occurs in April 2011.

14. The Comedian

The Comedian Captain Captain

I'm thinking that they're considering the kind of warrior code that was implanted into the Bolos (of the Keith Laumer novels). A sense of honor and duty and so forth...

15. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Looks around for any Austrian stone faced people that could be killer cyborgs from the future

California's Governor on CNN

OMG! they're already here man!!!

16. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Oh I agree that it is a good idea and would save a lot of lives, but you also run the risk of something like - perhaps a better example away from Terminator - the opening scenes of Robocop. Remember that the Enforcement Droid 209 Series was programmed to be a military weapon and its malfunction involved a man being shot to death (nearly blown apart in the Directors Extended Edition).

17. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not just collateral damage, but targets. You don't end war by just killing the warriors. You end it by ending the enemy's ability to make war.

Further, a robotized war brings out the danger of a detatched "sanitized" attitude to war, ie that ep of TOS where computers fought the wars and assigned casualties.

War must COST, and I don't mean just in money. It must cost lives, or it loses some of it's crucial prohibitive status.

Plus, as a military member, I don't like the idea of just another field losing out to machines and rendering people unemployed.

Player Piano, anyone? Interestingly, in that book, the Army was just one of two occupations that existed for people. And in the Army, soldiers didn't even really fight, they serviced the machines that did.

Screw that.

18. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would rather have to send humans to get destroyed in battle.

A species such as ours needs to feel the burden of human casualties to help prevent us from getting into wars as much as possible.

19. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yup. True horror, the idea of war becoming a mere inconvenience. Fighting alongside robots? Ok. Depending on them to fight for us? No.

20. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

After that, Terminator: The Fourth Iteration Last Time we Counted Chronicles will have a date in January 2019.