Fox picks up Narnia franchise.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gepard, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Good news for Narnia fans:

Full story here.

They're reducing the budget, however, from the previous films, though it's still a respectable $140 million.

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, wonderful. Another franchise for Tom Rothman to destroy.

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does this mean when the series is over, there won't be a complete series box set?

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Ouch, kind of a double-edged sword, there. The series will continue, but now it's going to be ruined by Fox. Good luck, Narnia fans.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They have to remember to release this during December. The summer release date really killed the second movie.

Should we be worried about the threequel curse now or that people will think this is Pirates of the Caribbean 4 after watching the trailers? :p

6. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't see Prince Caspian, but I'll see this-- Dawn Treader was always my fave of the novels.

7. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Fox, huh? Does that mean the series gets canceled after episode 3?

8. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great news! IMO Dawn Treader is one of the best Fantasy books of all time so I hope it comes out as good on film as the book is!

9. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

I'm relieved. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was always my favorite of the series. The Silver Chair was one of my favorites as well. I don't mind if they stop before filming all seven books, as long as they film those two.

10. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I enjoyed all seven of the books, but for some reason "Dawn Treader" struck a particularly joyful chord with me. It's going to be interesting to see what kind of vision the director comes up with for each of the different lands they visit.

11. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Dawn Treader is my favorite of the series as well, so even though I thought Prince Caspian was a weak movie and am dreading the return of Ben "this is my acting face" Barnes as Caspian, I'm pleased this will be made after all.

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Voyage of the Dawn Treader is my favorite Narnia book, too, so I'm pleased to see this news.

13. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

Noooooooooooo....

14. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm excited, but a little worried about the reduction in budget. I would think a story like this, much of it told aboard a ship at sea, would require a significant budget to make it believable.

Still, I'll be glad if we just get Voyage of the Dawn Treader and then stop. I honestly don't need movies of any of the other books.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Most likely.
    Same reason we don't have complete Friday the 13th and Terminator sets.
    The franchise changed studios.

16. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow I never thought of that it would be weird! So if Fox goes onto make a few more movies we could end up with two separate box sets one for the Disney ones and one for the Fox ones.

17. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

I'm just happy to have the movie being made....

18. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

$140 million isn't anything to sneeze at. Trek XI had a a ~$150 million budget, and that film looks like it's going to be huge.

19. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I dunno. The Dark Knight had a purported budget of $180 million, and I have no idea where all that money went. X-Men: The Last Stand, a 20th Century Fox Production, was made for over $200 million. Movies are getting so much more expensive these days.

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, if there's any good news about this next movie is that they have Michael Apted directing it. Don't know how well he'll be dipping his feet into a new genre, but at least he's a real director. It's sort of like how Harry Potter merely got by with Chris Columbus and then got good directors afterward.