Trek Prequel Comic -SPOILERS- (official COUNTDOWN review thread)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by blaXXer, Jan 22, 2009.

1. blaXXer

blaXXer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just read my issue of the prequel comic and, whoa, very much is at stake for Nero. But let's start at the beginning, shall we?

As we saw from the preview, Nero and his crew are miners, not criminals, when the star of the system they mine in goes Nova. They manage to get everybody out in time and return to Romulus.

Cut to Romulus, which has become an almost open and tolerant society which counts Federation Ambassador Spock under it's legal residents:
    We see a Senate hearing in which Spock presents evidence that the Supernova will expand exponentially and threaten not only nearby Systems but eventually the whole Romulan Star Empire. He proposes a uniquew solution to the dilemma: 'Red Matter', which would be able to stop the star's cascade. The Senators however, object since 'Red Matter' is extremely rare and would have to be refined on Vulcan, which they do not want to allow.

Just when he is about to being silenced by suspicious Senators, Nero speaks up and confirmsSpock's evidence, but is silenced, too.

Later that night, Spock and Nero meet, discussing alternative methods of obtaining 'Red Matter', they decide to mine it in one of the Empire's outlying systems, even under threat of being sent to a prison colony (wink-wink-nudge-nudge).

So, the next day they leave but when they arrive, they are being attacked and boarded by Remans. Just as all seems hopeless, another ship warps in and starts firing at the Remans: The USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E under Captain Data.

Yep you heard it here first, Data lives and commands the Enterprise.

2. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Trek Prequel Comic -SPOILERS-

I'm about to read it too.
    Here are some previews i also posted in the other relevant thread

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

^ I was going to copy your post from the other thread, SalvorHardin, but you've beaten me to it.

blaXXer, if you have no objection, let's make this the official Countdown review thread -- everyone can post their reviews in here to keep them all in one place. We'll see if there need to be separate threads down the road for the other issues.

4. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Trek Prequel Comic -SPOILERS-

I greatly enjoyed part one. Very very interesting.

Lets see where this goes.

5. SalvorHardin

A few more previews from Countdown 1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I've read it.
    I must admit I've never read a Trek comic before so I can't make any comparisons.
    The art is quite nice, the plot is pretty much just like blaXXer described it above, no need to repeat it.I'd like to add two things though.

First, this is not a regular supernova they are dealing with here.
    To quote Spock " A Supernova unlike the galaxy has ever seen. Just days ago the star had a violent eruption that obliterated the nearest planet in the system. The star converted the planet's mass into energy, increasing its own power.
    More eruptions have occured since then, and the effects are being felt beyond the Hobus system increasing in intensity""

Second, as far as Red Matter is concerned and what's its purpose I quote Spock again "The rare isotope decalithium can be processed to create highly volatile Red Matter. With the right amount of Red Matter we can create an artificial black hole that will devour the Hobus supernova before it can be spread"

Anyway, it was an interesting ride, not much talk about big boys and asses and I'm curious to see what is up with Data and how it will all unfold.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  6. Eric Cheung

Eric Cheung Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The dialogue here certainly doesn't seem to suffer from informality. That sounds good to me. I like that they speak differently on Nero's ship than in the Romulan Senate. Even Nero speaks differently when he's speaking to Spock. He's in awe of the legendary Vulcan and wants to show his respect.

If the dialogue is this good in the movie then I'll be satisfied.

7. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Picked up my copy at Forbidden Planet today. Not a bad job. Nero certainly seems like quite an interesting character.

8. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I haven't read the comic, but I like the new uniform Data is wearing

9. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just have to say, nice! Nero's not just gonna be some random megalomaniac and Spock actually has made some headway within the Star Empire.

I have the distinct notion Romulus burns...

Sharr

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

11. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The comic was way too short. No other complaints though...
    I am extreemly interested to see how Nero becomes a villain.

12. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    By definition, wouldn't "Captain Data" have to be B-4 after successfully assimilating all of the real Data's programming from NEMESIS? So he "becomes Data" by means of acquiring his knowledge and personality?

13. SalvorHardin

Who knows...I suppose we'll find out in the other Countdown issues.

Remember, in comic books noone stays dead for long :p

14. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the answer to that is, different time line - he didn't die in this one and if so; welcome back Data!

Wait, that can't be. This one starts in the old time line where Data is dead so maybe he is a 'fixed' B4.

15. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Anybody here read "The Last Days of Krypton"?

For some reason this is reminding me of that, where Spock=Jor-El, Nero=Zod, Krypton=Romulus/Vulcan, and "red matter thingy"=phantom zone.

I'm thinking of getting this series. The story seems interesting and the art is actually pretty good.

16. Ultimale

Ultimale Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm still reading it. As a huge Superman fan, I love it. Any similarities Countdown has to it can only be a plus.

17. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

All interesting but I doubt most of this will be evident in the actual movie. Sure this backstory was developed by the screenwriters. But will likely only be suggested in vague hints of dialogue.

18. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For what it is worth, the comics apparently only came into play well after the movie had been conceived. Roberto Orci claims it was Anthony Pascale (of TrekMovie.com) who was the inspiration for these comics after he had asked what they would do to throw a bone to the TNG fans, and thus here we are!

19. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

It reads well for a comic book, certainly comes accross much better than I had expected. Also, the story line seems a lot more interesting then what we are actually getting in the movie IMHO.

20. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not really fair to compare seeing as we really don't know what we are getting.