What You Have To Read Before "Articles Of The Federation" and Destiny"

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Let me start of with the deepest apologies to KRAD and David Mack. :lol:

I'm on vacation and snowed in and bored. Certain threads here got me thinking about just how many books there are that are actually consistant with the current novel-verse inhabited by the SCE, Mackenzie Calhoun, Elias Vaughn, Vanguard and the rest.

By consistant, I mean by sharing characters, events or situations. I know that there are some inconsistancies of events and characters in the list, Ogawa's child's gender and the fate of her husband from Genesis Wave to Titan, for example. Such is life in a shared universe. Absolute consistancy is impossible in a constantly evolving shared universe, so I go more for the intent of consistancy, than the actual success of it.:p

In cases like these, I assume that while we may see an event such as the Genesis disaster in one separate "Myriad Universe" where Ogawa's life turned out one way, a near identical event happened in the "standard" universe as well, where Ogawa's life turned just a little differently.

Just for the record, several books that I count among my favorites, the Crucible and Millenium trilogies, are not included herein. Crucible, Millenium and the Shatnerverse, while having some consistancies with other works, the inconsistancies (regarding McCoy, Sisko and Janeway, respectively) are too great to ignore.

I'm sure there are connections I've missed, either from memory loss or simply not catching the connection, but this is what my boredom produced...

By series...

TOS (50)
    The Final Reflection-- Worf's favorite book! :lol:

PAD's The Rift included first generation security team of Meyer and Boyajin mentioned in Strike Zone. (The pair actually first appeared in Trek comics written by PAD) The Pike segments of The Rift are consistant with Vulcan's Glory and Legacy.

PAD's The Captain's Daughter is consistant with the Lost Era novel Serpents Among The Ruins.

The six-book New Earth series was continued in the Gateways series.

Greg Cox's Khan trilogy was consistant with the DS9-R by using the same flag for Khan that was established in Abyss. The Khan trilogy itself was foreshadowed in Cox's Assignment Eternity.

Events from Vulcan's Forge, Vulcan's Heart and the Vulcan's Soul trilogy were mentioned in The Art of the Impossible, Articles of the Federation and Taking Wing. Also, the characters of Christine Vale and Min Zife appeared in Vulcan's Soul.

In The Name of Honor introduced the pre-Gorkon chancellor that was later used in other Klingon-based lit.

The Last Round-Up introduced a species and situations that were refered to in the Spirit Walk books in the VOY-R.

Ex Machina established Will Decker's multi-species starship experiment, later referred to in the Titan series.

Burning Dreams was consistant with Vulcan's Heart and Spock's relationship to Saavik.

Sulu's role in Forged In Fire was foreshadowed in the Lost Era's Serpents Among The Ruins.

Vulcan's Soul and SCE's War Stories make things interesting. Both refer to characters from Diane Duane's Rihannsu era stories, which arguably brings in the whole pre-Richard Arnold era loose continuity that existed back in the day.

Duane's eight TOS novels all included her unique cast of characters. Even in the Arnold-era Doctor's Orders she managed to sneak in Janice Kersarus.

The Lost Years quartet were consistant with Duane's Rihannsu novels in their take on Surak's time. Lost Years author J. M. Dillard brought characters from her previous novels, Mindshadow, Demons and Bloodthirst along for the ride.

Diane Carey's Piper novels, Dreadnought! and Battlestations! were mentioned in The Lost Years in referring to the "Rittenhouse scandal".

A.C. Crispen's Zar novels, Yesterday's Son and Time For Yesterday had cameos from Duane's Naraht, the Starfleet Horta and Ingrit Tomson from Dillard's books.

Crispen's Time For Yesterday opens things up even further-- refering to not only some of the above, but also to Crisis on Centaurus, The Vulcan Academy Murders (and by extension The IDIC Epidemic), The Entropy Effect and Deep Domain.

Rules of Engagement uses Diane Duane's cast of characters.

TNG (41)
    The 9 A Time to... books, and the 6 post-Nemesis books starting with Death in Winter through Losing the Peace that make up the current TNG continuity makes another 15.

Related...
    Pretty much all of Peter David's TNG work has been grandfathred in in one way or another. Strike Zone introduced the Kreel and Selelvian races, as well as the transfer-prone Meyers and Boyajin. A Rock and A Hard Place's Quentin Stone was mentioned in the Mueller story in No Limits. Vendetta has been refered to in both New Frontier and in Before Dishonor. The Riker-Troi backstory from the Imazadi books was used in the A Time to... series, and finally Q-in Law and I,Q and Q-Squared were all refered to in Q & A. His young adult trilogy introduced key players in New Frontier. That's another eleven.

Reunion, Requiem and The Valiant are all part of the Stargazer continuity.

The Q-Continuum trilogy was referenced in Q & A, and was consistant with New Frontier (re:Selar's transfer). Inconsistancies include Sonya Gomez still being aboard the Enterprise.

The six Double Helix books are a part of both the New Frontier and Stargazer continuities.

Elements of the Gemworld duology are used as a part of Melora Pazlar's backstory in the Titan series.

Diplomatic Implausibility acts as a "pilot" for the Gorkon series among other things.

The Maximum Warp duology uses characters from DS9-R.

Immortal Coil had a brief nod to Ranul Keru of the TNG Section 31 novel and the Titan series.

The events of the four Genesis Wave books were mentioned in Articles of the Federation.

The Battle of Betazed is consistant with the DS9-R.

The Buried Age is consistant with Q&A and Greater Than the Sum

DS9 (27)
    The relaunch (starting with Avatar and including Left Hand of Destiny) so far has had seventeen entries with two announced on the way.

Related...
    The 34th Rule was mentioned in Mission Gamma: Twilight.

A Stitch in Time was grandfathered into the continuity in Avatar.

Hollow Men was consistant with the DS9-R. (I'm honestly drawing a blank on the specific here, but I do remember making a connection)

The Terok Nor trilogy was consistant with the re-launch continuity.

The Lives of Dax and Prophecy and Change anthologies are both consistant with the re-launch.

Voyager (15)
    Four re-launch books so far with two more announced. Christie Golden brought the character of Lyssa Campbell over from her six DQ-VOY books into the re-launch. Also events from the String Theory trilogy are mentioned in Q&A.

Enterprise (8)

The ENT books by Mangels and Martin (Last Full Measure, The Good That Men Do, Kobayashi Maru and presumably the upcoming "Romulan War" by Michael Martin) have all been internally consistant and consistant with the DS9-R with the useage of Andorian bond-groups of four and the sheltreth. Mangels and Martin also imported the character of Donna O'Neill from Dave Stern's four novels, bring the ENT total to at least eight.

Other Series (107)
    New Frontier has sixteen novels and an antholgy released, with a novel on the way (18), SCE/COE had a whopping 74 entries. Vanguard has three with two more announced. Titan has had four with two more announced. Gorkon\Klingon Empire has had four entries.

Mini-series (40)
    Pretty much all of the Pocket novel mini-series (except Day of Honor, I think) can be placed in the novel-verse continuity.

The four-book Invasion! series was referenced in SCE's Ring Around The Sky.

The six-book Captain's Table series was a part of the New Frontier series, and later spawned an anthology that spanned the lit-line.

The four book Section 31 series is a part of the DS9-R and introduced the character of Ranul Keru from Titan. (Abyss is already counted with the DS9-R books above.)

The seven-book Gateways series spanned the lit line. (As above, the DS9 was included with the re-launch, and Christie Golden's Voyager entry was acknowledged above as well.)

The six-book Lost Era was consistant with the novelverse by including lit characters such as Elias Vaughn and Akaar (The latter, is admitedly technically a canon character, but other than his birth, the character as developed is all from the lit.)

The sixpart E-Mini series, Mere Anarchy and Slings and Arrows both had ties to the larger novel-verse (I honestly can't remember what I noted in MA. Did Christopher's entry mention the events of Ex Machina? But I do seem to remember Miranda Kadohata in S&A)

And of course, the recent Destiny trilogy was the continuation of both Titan and post-Nemesis TNG.

Others
    Articles of the Federation (Duh.)
    A Singular Destiny (Takes off from Destiny)
    Tales From The Dominion War (Stories from SQZ, SCE, GKN, NF)
    The Brave and the Bold (Consistant with DS9-R and GKN)
    Tales From The Captain's Table (Mentioned above, stories from NF, GKN, DS9-R, VOY-R, others)
    Two Mirror Universe anthologies-- consistant with DS9-R and NF.

Misc.
    DC Comics first series featured some novel charaters (such as Naraht), and at least one character, "Bernie" the Klingon, appeared in the later novel-verse.

DC Comics second series had the character of Sara Tuchinsky, who appeared in David's The Rift (as "Tooch") and IIRC, in one of the Mere Anarchy books as well.

Marvel Comics characters from their Starfleet Academy (Pava sh'Aqabaa), Early Voyages (Moves-With-Burning-Grace) and DS9 (Etana Kol) series have appeared in the Titan series, SCE's Where Time Stands Still, Burning Dreams and the DS9-R.

Wildstorm comics did a New Frontier comic, and two miniseries using DS9-R characters. The events of Wildstorm's Enter The Wolves were refered to in The Art of The Impossible. KRAD's Perchance to Dream mini-series introduced Ra'ch B'ullhy and other aspects of Damiano culture, later used in A Time for War, A Time for Peace. Events from The Gorn Crisis became the basis for Nanietta Bacco's backstory.

IDW did a New Frontier mini-series.

The Spock vs. Q audio plays were refered to in NF's Gods Above.
    ------

Well, that's it. That makes about 294 Pocket publications and a handful of comics and other stuff. Wow. :eek:

I don't know what use this info would be to anyone, and if you've read this far, I don't know whether to offer congratulations or condolences. :lol:

Comments, corrections and otherwise are welcome.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Re: What You Have To Read Before "Articles Of The Federation" and Dest

you missed "Tales from the Captain's Table" which features stories from NF, GKN, TTN and SCE.

3. Turtletrekker

Actually, I mentioned it, albeit vaguely, with the Captain's Table mini-series.:p

Will fix. :shifty:

4. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

IDW's Alien Spotlight on Andorians used, with-out detailing it or using the gender prefixes on names, the idea bondgroups and the larger Andorians families.

One of the manga stories has a brief appearance of starbase 47/Vanguard.

And did you mention the Starfleet Academy book series anywhere in there? Some of those tie into New Frontier sort of don’t they?

Also, I don't remember the exact connecting, but didn't Wildstorm's "A Rolling Stone Gathers No Nanoprobes" story (by Martin/Mangels), link into a novel somewhere by one of the characters being the relation of another character?

5. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Im snowed in too.. .Seattle... yay.

Good list...

6. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

What is this snow that you are talking about?

7. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm snowed in toooo!!! Whats up with that??

All I read was the entire DS9R (missing one WoDS9 still) the TNG Genesis Wave books, and a mystery TNG book from around 2003-3 before I read Destiny, and I made out just fine. TBH, I barely remember Hernandaz from ENT... :(

8. Turtletrekker

^ Of course I was being totally, completely, absolutely and entirely facetious when I imply that you need to read all of the above before reading Destiny or Articles. I was just playing up on an old and tired joke on this board concerning Articles. I was going to title the thread "The Scope of the Novelverse", but that seemed boring and I decided to go for something semi-humorous instead.

9. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Still a good list, there were like 1 or 2 i hadnt heard of before.

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

What inconsistency is there with Millenium?

I've only read the first two Crucible books. While Book II's depiction of Spock's love life is obviously inconsistent with other novels' depiction of his life with Saavik and while Book I's date of death for McCoy is obviously inconsistent with other novels' depiction of McCoy as being alive as late as 2376, I think that other aspects of the trilogy -- including McCoy's general life story up until the year of his death, and the story of President Ra-ghoratreii trying to recruit Spock as an ambassador and speaking at Kirk's funeral -- can be integrated fairly well into the overall continuity.

Ambassador K'mtok established in Articles of the Federation that klin'zha is a popular game in the Empire.

And with the Demora Sulu story from Tales from the Captain's Table whose title I can't recall.

Although Assignment: Eternity's depiction of the origins of the Tal Shiar is inconsistent with what is established in Vulcan's Noun, if I'm recalling correctly. It's arguable whether or not his depiction of a low-level brushfire Eugenics Wars that goes unnoticed by most Americans is consistent with what ENT established about the Eugenics Wars (including US Army deployments in North Africa).

Vulcan's Soul also follows a lot of what The Romulan Way and Spock's World depicted about the Time of the Awakening, though creatively reinterpreted.

Its depiction of Gorkon's professional history is inconsistent with Star Trek: Vanguard's depiction of him as a long-time High Councillor and advisor to the Chancellor in the 2260s, though.

It also talks about the Palais de la Concorde, putting it in continuity with A Time to..., Articles of the Federation, SCE, Titan, and Destiny, amongst others.

Hmm. Maybe? I've only read parts of Rihannsu, but its depiction of the Federation President's official office is inconsistent with what A Time to... and Articles established about the Palais de la Concorde. Its depiction of the Romulan government is inconsistent with what's established in DS9's "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" and the Vulcan's Noun novels as well as what The Good That Men Do and Kobayashi Maru (ENT Relaunch) establish about how the Romulan government functions in the 2150s and what Vanguard: Summon the Thunder establishes about how it works in the 2260s. We could argue that the mid-2260s saw a sudden shift in the structure of government that was reversed once Ael became Empress, of course.

It's also inconsistent in terms of its referring to the Romulans entering the Dominion War absent the intervention of Sisko in "In the Pale Moonlight" (it was written before that episode aired).

Councillor T'Latrek is referred to as a "Minister" in that novel, however. Interestingly, Worf receives his instructions from Minister T'Latrek instead of President Min Zife (established in A Time to Kill) or Federation Secretary of the Exterior Ythrilasifsa sh'Zathrosia (established in Articles).

Well, amongst other things, Federation Councillor Huang Chaoying of Alpha Centauri, first established in A Time to Heal and later in Articles, appears in Hollow Men.

Also, side-note: The DS9 Relaunch novel Bajor: Fragments and Omens established former Bajoran Milita General Krim Aldos as the new Federation Councillor from Bajor upon Bajor's ascension to Federation Membership. Councillor Krim later appeared prominently in Articles of the Federation.

Though it should be noted that the Vulcan diplomat T'Pau seen in Lives must be a different T'Pau than the canonical one, since ENT established her to be considerably younger than the T'Pau in that anthology.

The post-finale ENT novels also feature United Earth Interior Minister Haroun al-Rashid and Andorian Ambassador Avaranthi sh'Rothress, both of whom were first established in Articles of the Federation as early Federation Presidents from the 22nd Century. As with Titan: Taking Wing, the ENT Relaunch also uses the long form of Romulan names and the Rihannsu language established in Duane's novels.

TGTMD and KM's establishing Nathan Samuels as United Earth Prime Minister places the ENT Relaunch in continuity with Tales of the Dominion War's "Eleven Hours Out" and with the Myriad Universes novel A Less Perfect Union. COE's mention of a United Earth President implies that United Earth has a republican parliamentary government, perhaps similar to, say, Ireland's or Italy's or Israel's.

And is in continuity with the other novels in numerous ways, including the appearance of Captain Calhoun and the Excalibur in Before Dishonor and Destiny and references to the Danteri Empire in A Time to Kill.

COE ties into other novels in numerous ways, including tie-ins to NF and Vulcan's Noun's two seemingly contradictory depictions of Scotty's post-"Relics" life in The Future Begins, and references to the Romulan War-era United Earth President Lydia Littlejohn, the Palais de la Concorde and Zife Administration, and to the events of Prime Directive by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens all in that same entry. Given Prime Directive's contradictory depiction of the Federation Council and Federation President, presumably only the main story of PD is kept (in the same way that you describe the detail of Alyssa's child changing between Maximum Warp and Titan.) There are also numerous references to the da Vinci and its crew, including Articles, A Time to Heal, and Destiny. COE also first established Christine Vale, who went on to appear in ATT and Titan.

And ties into the other novels in numerous ways, including the four-sexed Andorians, the presence of T'Prynn (first established in DS9's Mission: Gamma and later seen in The Art of the Impossible), and references to the Taurus Reach in Destiny and The Buried Age.

TTN ties into other novels in numerous ways, including Melora's backstory with Gemworld (itself also referenced in Articles), numerous references to ATT, especially Kill/Heal, references to Presidents Zife and Bacco, and Christine Vale, whose history I outlined above. Interestingly, Vale herself has a connection to Domenica Corsi from COE as outlined in that series. Jaza Nanjem, the Titan's science officer, appeared in the Worlds of Deep Space Nine story Bajor: Fragments and Omens as a Bajoran Militia officer who was putting in for a transfer to Starfleet. Ranuel Keru, the security chief, first appeared in the TNG novel Section 31: Rogue, and later appeared in Immortal Coil, Trill: Unjoined in Worlds of DS9 before joining the Titan crew. And, of course, Destiny heavily features the Titan crew..

It also introduced the Kirk Cabal of anti-Thirty-One officers, and featured the first appearance of Section 31 of the Federation Starfleet Charter, anticipating ENT's canonical revelation of Article 14, Section 31 of the United Earth Starfleet Charter -- implying that Section 31's agents had a hand in the formation of the Federation Starfleet Charter and put some legal mumble-jumbo in there to try to cover their asses after so broadly interpreting the UES Charter as establishing their little criminal organization as to stretch all legal credibility.

The TNG entry also establishes some more about Koval and Pardek, anticipating their fates in Titan: Taking Wing.

Amongst its connections....

It elaborates upon the Palais de la Concorde, first established in A Time to Kill, retroactively establishing it to be the building seen in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country and DS9's "Homefront" and "Paradise Lost." (Arguably, it also establishes the Palais to be the building seen in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, depending on whether one wants to interpret the Federation Council as having convened in Paris or San Francisco in that movie. Given the reference to a Federation Council building in VOY's "In the Flesh," I just interpret ST4 as featuring the Council in SanFran and assume that the Council maintains an alternate site in San Francisco to convene in the event of the Palais being unavailable for whatever reason.) The Palais is also featured in the TOS trilogy Errand of Fury, the novel Burning Dreams, and the Destiny trilogy, and is also mentioned in the COE entry The Future Begins, the TNG eBooks The Oppressor's Wrong and Enterprises of Great Pitch and Moment, the Myriad Universes novels The Chimes at Midnight and A Gutted World, as well as being mentioned in Titan: The Red King.

Federation Councillor T'Latrek was first featured in Diplomatic Implausibility. She was first established as Federation Councillor from Vulcan in A Time for War, A Time for Peace. Councillor Ra'chy B'hully of Damiano first appeared in the TNG comic Perchance to Dream, and was established to have become Federation President Pro Tempore in War/Peace. Councillor Matthew Mazibuko of Earth first appeared in Articles. Councillor Bera chim Gleer of Tellar first appeared in A Time to Heal, as did Kellerasana zh'Faila of Andor, replacing Charivretha zh'Thane, who first appeared in the DS9 Relaunch and resigned therein. Cort Enaran of Bajor first appeared in The Battle of Betazed and was first established as the Federation Councillor from Betazed in Heal. All of these characters save zh'Faila and Enaran later appeared in Trill: Unjoined, set in 2376.

And I for one would really like to know what happened to T'Priell from Starfleet Academy!

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Ex Machina is consistent with The Captain's Daughter, and also refers to Sulu's backstory from Julia Ecklar's TOS: The Kobayashi Maru (not to be confused with the ENT novel of nearly the same name). It also references elements from the ST:TMP novelization, though the novelization as a whole is not consistent with canon.

12. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always wanted to see something like this worked up. Thanks for your efforts, turtletrekker. This is basically how I decided which books and comics to read, and how I've built up my own personal Trek continuity, though with some noticable differences from the list you've compiled here.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, you guys brought together alot of great info. Thanks for putting this up. I'd honestly been wondering if any of the old books fit into the current continuity... and now I know.:techman:

14. Christopher

Well, just because elements from an old book are alluded to or paid homage in a newer book doesn't mean the entirety of the old book is consistent with modern canon or literary continuity. Sometimes it can't be, because there are too many contradictions. So the reference is just a way of paying tribute, or of working certain still-viable elements from an old book into the modern continuity.

15. Turtletrekker

^Absolutely. As I said upthread, it's impossible to keep everything absolutely consistant. That's why I said I was looking more for the intent of consistancy rather than the actual success of it.

To 8of5-- I had forgotten about the Andorian Spotlight-thanks.

I did not know about the Manga-- which one is it?

I mentioned the three Peter David YA novels in the paragraph about his TNG books.

To Sci-- IIRC (and I tried to find my copy of Millenium to sure, but couldn't find the right box), Millenium ends with an epilogue that shows Kassidy and Jake with Kassidy and Ben's newborn child, and Ben had not returned from the Celestial temple yet.

As for Crucible, I agree completely that certain elements of the story can be imported over to the larger continuity. Thanks for bringing that up.

Re: the Rihannsu books and related-- Granted, later established canon makes a lot of this an awkward fit. Stuff like this is what I was referring to when I mentioned "the intent of consistancy rather than the success of it", and that the inclusion of pre-Arnold books was "arguable".

BTW, thanks for more properly connecting the dots on the "Other Series" and "Others" sections. By the time I got that far down the list, I had been working on this list for several hours and was getting lazy. :lol:

Re: T'Priell-- Me too! :techman:

16. Turtletrekker

And now that it's too late to do anything about it, I realize that I should've titled the thread "Six Degrees of Nanietta Bacco". :lol:

17. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, yes they must!! :p

But no, I know whatcha mean. :)
    I'm a big fan of humour, there should be more of it!

Its best, perhaps, if someone is into Trek Lit to not rely so heavily on one series like I have. Even if a character in the series annoyed you, they won't necessarily if they're well written in a trek book. Well, sometimes they will *cough* Ezri *cough* but not always. :)

18. Christopher

The manga story featuring Starbase 47 is "The Humanitarian" in Vol. 3, Uchu. It's an excellent story, but I don't think it quite fits in the same continuity as the novels. The SB 47 in the manga story seems to be a lot closer to established Federation territory than the one in Vanguard, and it's shown in orbit of a planet (or else really close to a star; in black-and-white, it's hard to tell). Also, the story involves
    a disaster that kills 20 percent of the Enterprise crew. I suppose it's possible that could've happened in the book continuity, since no established characters were killed, but you'd think an event that big would've been mentioned from time to time in later stories.
    So I think of it as an alternate-timeline tale or a "what-if" scenario.

19. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I think Rebecca (at that point, unnamed, ungendered child) was two or three at the time. I don't precisely remember if there was anything in the their actions to suggest Sisko was with the Prophets at that moment. If not, then it's possible he just was away from home. If so, then maybe he'll go back at some point. Either way, nonlinear time allows for him to have seen it happen before he left in Unity, even though it would've happened later.

20. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

For the record, I'm loving this thread. :D