Encarta V

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Picard Alpha, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Picard Alpha

Picard Alpha Commander Red Shirt

Hey guys,

It's either reflecting on the past recently, or call it boredom. I've had some interest in resurrecting the 'Encarta' saga. Would anyone be interested in catching up where 'Dark Hope' left off, or am I wasting my breath? It's been almost 5 years since an Encarta flick has been in production, it would basically be like starting a new. Thoughts?

2. Aklua

Aklua Ensign Newbie

I would kike to see another encata. I think it would be cool, i just found encata 3 this year another would rock

aklua

3. Aklua

Aklua Ensign Newbie

ok here's a plot: it been 2 years since they made it back to federation space, John is still the captain of the Encarta. John and Sara are still married and have another child together. Sara resigned her commition and is still on the encarta. They have been sent to patrol near the romulan nurtal zone. The guy and his clone are still aboard and are both engineers.

Well just a thought I had

aklua

4. batboy853

batboy853 Captain Captain

i would love to see the other encarta's released first

5. Picard Alpha

Well that's very easy to do! I've always been particullary embarrsed by Encarta I, we were 16 and it was a high school video project... It screams yikes! Parts of II are watchable and most of III is a pretty enjoyable adventure with some pretty strange concepts. Since IV was a direct sequel from III I'll focus on posting this to the YouTube page first.

6. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Commodore Commodore

I hope this satisfies you, because I just came out of weeks of lurking to say this:

Yes, please.

7. Picard Alpha

Unfortunately I can't ignore many of the repercussions of Encarta IV. If there was to be a fifth film it would certainly take place several years later. However I believe Jon Lynch would either be serving time on a detention colony or shipping freight between a couple of moons. Given option 2's scenario I'd assume that once Encarta entered normal space the crew would have decided to remain very much a 'family' and put the past behind them. Encarta and some of the allied fleet (many species could be hundreds of thousands of light years from their homes) would be on route to Federation Space. It's likely Starfleet would look to Lynch as some kind of hero; for braving almost impossible odds and forging a Federation of his own to stop the Syndicate. I think that he would have felt incredible guilt for the things he did unbecoming of a Starfleet officer; and would likely resign his commision and continue to use his experise elsewhere. Encarta could possibly be salvaged, however she could just as easily be decommisoned. An offical hearing was scheduled to determine the events leading up to Encarta's decommisioning, and to look into the massive loss of life to ship and crew. Lynch was called to trial, but never shows. Likely some of the real story leaked during this time making Lynch wanted for questioning. Lynch likely out continued feelings of guilt evades arrests etc. Sort of a rouge leader.

8. Picard Alpha

As I slowly get things re-transferred and uploaded I've uploaded a trailer of EIII and a long preview of EII to YouTube.

Star Trek Encarta: Condemned (2003) - (Star Trek: Encarta III)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bjcrnFzTK8

Star Trek Encarta II: Destiny's Advocate (2001)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZCVs76o70

(and of course Encarta IV, mainly so you can see the progress of learning through the years)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfZD3styRj4

9. fanfilmfan

fanfilmfan Ensign Red Shirt

Encarta V? I'm drooling with exitement! :drool:

10. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

Just watched Encarta 4 on YouTube. May I please say that it was FANTASTIC!

I think especially for a fan film, the sets (are they real or CG?) are perfect, the story was extremely well written and the whole thing rocked. :D I have bookmarked this thread so I can watch the other items on the list. ;)

So... in case you haven't guessed, my thoughts on Encarta 5 are: YES PLEASE!

EDIT next day: *wants to see the whole of Encarta 2 and 3 now*

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  11. jongredic

jongredic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've just finished watching Encarta IV, I was blown away by the outstanding production values, visual and sound effects and believable acting. Great stuff, thanks for sharing it with us :) It's a definite yes from me for Encarta V.

I'm with Jim Gamma - I'd also like to see the previous Encarta installments too, to fill in parts of the story I've missed and I wouldn't mind seeing the progression to see how you got to the standard set by Encarta IV ;)

12. Picard Alpha

I'd almost forgot about this thread... In fact I haven't posted here in a long time, but the new Star Trek film brought me back lurking around to hear what folks thought of it. In fact the bill just came for StarTrekEncarta.com and I realized I hadn't touched the website in over a year and canceled it!

I've promised in the past to start posting these projects, so I'll start with 2003's Encarta III: Condemned (I'll just have to rip the DVD somehow, anyone got any thoughts on how to do this on a mac?) I suppose a part of me is afraid to release these projects because they aren't up to par with the way they could have been done today as I am much older now and more experienced. But I suppose that's how most artists look back on a body of work... While E:IV never generated the spark or amount of views we had dreamed about I'd be happy to showcase the older films. A good portion of 'Condemned' is available on the website, get it before it gets deleted! http://www.startrekencarta.com/condemned/eIIIvideofile.htm.

In retrospect looking back I wish we had made 'Dark Hope' a standalone film similar to E:II as it would have allowed viewers to access the film much easier; that way they wouldn't have needed to know anything about the past films to understand the story. It was a challenge writing 'Dark Hope' because I very much wanted to do something that was different and a departure from than the previous incarnations, and the formula we had used all those years; yet at the same time tie into the series without rebooting. As a result we were forced to try to tie into the events of E:III 'Condemned', which was originally intended to be the last Star Trek: Encarta film. It was hard to realistically and scientifically bring our heroes back to life, or at least acknowledge that they never died. Because of that complication and wanting to bring new viewers in I was forced to use what I think is a very weak story telling device which are flashbacks. Also I thought it would be a fun 'valentine' (to coin a phrase) to finally after all these years tie our story into TNG. Overall though, I think it's amazing what we produced in 2 days of shooting, and 4 years of visual effects work. The effects and editing work truly was a labor of love, and it's actually been a difficult process moving on and leaving the project after over 10 years of being associated and married to it. I think on a fan film scene; or scale 'Dark Hope' bombed the box office so to speak. With the amount of money, labor, and time spent on the product, I don't think we were able to achieve the amount of success as something say, Phase II has reached. While I've been doing these films for over 10 years, I was never able to paint the project as large as they did. The shear number of views and success they achieved should be commended. Looking back I wish I had worked harder toward getting the proper costumes (FC era), but at the time it was the least of my worries.

I'm happy to note I've been working for the past 2 years on a new independent original project that I think will really blow away audiences, it's a beautiful story and is a complete separation from my previous body of work. We're hoping to start production soon!

13. fanfilmfan

fanfilmfan Ensign Red Shirt

Best of luck on posting your films!:techman:

14. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

I dunno, I prefer the TNG and DS9 unitards to the FC uniform. The FC uniform it far too dull and grey. The only thing that makes it slightly good is the fact that the top is a jacket. Anywho...

15. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

You should see some of the first episodes of other fan film franchises. Everybody's got to start somewhere.

16. Picard Alpha

It would be neat for Captain Lynch or Mr. Tate to have a cameo/crossover in one of the other fan films, I wonder if anyone would be interested.

17. jaksajak

jaksajak Lieutenant Red Shirt

Watching Star Trek Encarta IV: Dark Hope (2008) on youtube now, thanks for the heads up.

18. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I recommend you pick out which of the, what I call Silver Age, Treks you want a crossover with, and e-mail them about it.