Star Trek: The Next Generation - Raven's Call

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by JJohnson, Nov 24, 2008.

1. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

Thanks to Rabbittooth for the manipulation of Seven in an FC uniform on the Ent E bridge. That's spoiler enough, if the title didn't give a clue.

Synopsis:

Stardate 50983.1 - the Enterprise E, refit after the Borg invasion of Earth, has finished a peacekeeping mission in the Ottoyan sector, maintaining a Federation presence while monitoring the Daltari presence in that sector. They begin the investigation a few light years away of an odd series of readings in subspace. Upon investigation, the Enterprise finds its scans are generating gravimetric disturbances which draw it closer; attempting to break free only draws them closer. Once the anomoly has flung them in, they find themselves thrown out on the other side of the galaxy...near Borg space. A Borg vessel looms past them, fighting Species 8472. The Enterprise is again faced with the Borg threat, and the captain can hear the voices again. They attempt to find a clear spot to regroup, finding a 'northwest passage' but it's filled with the bioships. The Enterprise does the unthinkable - form an alliance with the Borg.

Rough outline - things will change from the original timeline starting at the end of 2373. Interested?

James

2. SLWalker

SLWalker The OG Scotty Fangirl Premium Member

I'll be interested to read what you come up with. Might be slow to; my life's... very 'eh' right now, but you should go ahead and write it anyway.

3. JJohnson

Captain's Log, stardate 50983.1 - We have completed a diplomatic mission to Ottoia, a remote Federation world near the Romulan-Daltari Border, and are proceeding to Starbase 23 for a week's leave until our next assignment. I am looking forward to a moment's rest, though this mission has been a welcome change from the Borg a few months ago. Our crew have recovered, as has the Enterprise, but I still feel uneasy - as if we are not finished with them yet.

Captain Picard strode onto the bridge from his ready room on the starboard side of the bridge, pausing at the conn and ops stations. A blue-shirted Trill officer was on the flight controller station.

"Lieutenant, where's my flight controller?" Captain Picard asked.

Commander Riker piped up before the brunette Trill could answer. "Captain, this is Lieutenant Kell Perin, whom we picked up at our resupply point. She's getting her flight time in while he have some downtime before returning to her duties as science officer."

"My apologies, Lieutenant. Welcome aboard," Captain Picard smiled as he put his hand on the console before moving to his captain's chair. Sitting down, he straightened his uniform and asked for the ship's status from his First Officer.

"We're running quiet so far captain," Riker said as the regular conn officer, Ensign Helmsley, resumed his station for the remainder of his shift. The young ensign was a top candidate for the posting on the Enterprise, and was glad to have gotten on the flagship. "We're fully stocked, and on the way back to Starbase 23. Data believes we might have the opportunity to detour for a neutron star in the Alghani system."

"The Alghani system?" Picard asked.

"It's an uninhabited system approximately 4.3 light years off our course," Data chimed in, turning around at his station. "It would require a minimal course correction and take only 8 hours to chart the anomalies I've detected on long range sensors."

"Anomalies?" Riker asked, taking an interest.

"Yes sir," Data said, glancing down at the inner side of his console and bringing up a schematic on the main viewer. "It has been at random intervals in a sweeping motion, but I have noticed some distortions that appear to break down space-time in a roughly parabolic fashion, and I am attempting to ascertain if this pattern will continue, possibly endangering the neighboring system, the Gioverno Colony. There is an odd chroniton signature left in the wake of these anomalies."

The graphic on the screen showed the course and destination of the Enterprise in a straight line, with an alternate route plotted branching off the course into the Alghani system.

"Is there any danger to the ship?" Picard asked, assessing the possibilities.

"I cannot say for certain, though keeping us at the outermost range of our short-range sensors will mitigate any possible temporal risks," Data said, calculating the odds in his positronic net.

"Lay in a course near the last anomaly, Mr. Helmsley," Picard ordered. "Maintain speed. Let me know when we get there. And ask our new science officer to prepare the science labs for our little diversion."

"Aye, captain," Ensign Helmsley replied, altering course, with the on-screen graphic showing the Enterprise, the small outline of a Sovereign-class vessel, altering heading to the Alghani system. Riker also noted for the new science officer, Lt. Perin, to begin the sensor pallettes for the new assignments.

==========

"Captain, we are nearing the last known anomaly. We will reach that position in twenty minutes, present speed," Helmsley reported.

"Excellent. Picard to Perin," Picard called, tapping his comm channel.

In science lab 1, the new Lieutenant tapped the control in reply. "Perin here, captain. Go ahead."

"We're approaching the last position of the anomaly. Would you like to coordinate from the lab or the bridge" Picard asked.

"I'd like to coordinate the labs from Science I captain, if I may," Perin replied.

"Understood," Picard replied, closing the comm channel.

==========

As Perin entered the bridge, she passed over to the science station facing the viewscreen and entered her data, preparing the science labs for the sensor sweep. They only had a few hours to do this. As she did her setup, she noticed out of the corner of her eye the captain walking over to her.

"How is your progress, Lieutenant Perin?" he asked her.

"It's almost ready for the first scan, J.L. Just a few more moments," she answered, using his initials without thinking.

"J.L.? No one's called me that since...Admiral Perin, during my Stargazer days. He was the one who promoted me to captain," Picard remembered, smiling. "He was your father?"

Perin looked up at the captain, and smiled, "That was the gutsiest report I had ever read after your captain had been killed. I can see you turned out well."

"Perin? Of course," Picard remembered reading that then Ambassador Faelin Perin had passed away last year. "Last time I saw you you were an old man."

"Well, I can still beat you as an equestrian," Rivo taunted a little, keeping it quiet.

"After we reach Starbase 23, you're on - old man," Picard smiled as he returned to his seat.

==========

"Captain," Perin said as she and Data monitored the two science consoles. Two hours had elapsed, and the readings were changing, and not for the better. "We're getting readings...random fluctuations."

"Data?" Picard asked his Operations officer, whose hands sped across the console.

"Confirmed," he answered. "The readings are consistent with...."

A sudden jerking motion threw everyone in the ship about. The Master Display in the aft of the bridge sparked as a plasma transfer conduit exploded behind it. The screen registered bright swirls reminiscent of the vortex Picard had seen only a few months ago fighting the Borg.

Riker could've sworn he saw another ship pass them in the vortex, but he was too busy holding on as the ship groaned in its wake.

"Data! Report!" Riker yelled out to be heard over the noise.

Data had been flung over the railing, and was crawling to his station, having better luck than Picard or Riker would have had. Getting into his station, but barely, he tapped a few commands before giving the readout. "We're caught in a tear in space-time captain. There appears to be spatial displacement occurring."

"Can we get out of it?" Picard asked, his voice similarly raised, straining to bring himself up to his seat.

"Unknown captain," Data replied. "The shearing forces are straining the ship. If we do not stop soon it is likely we could tear ourselves apart."

"Helmsley see what you can do to straighten the ship out!" Picard ordered.

The ensign was just climbing back to his station when the ship snapped again and slowed, as if coming out of warp. Everyone was jostled again, a little less than the first time, and started getting back to their stations.

"What the hell just happened?" Riker asked to no one in particular.

"That's what I'd like to find out myself, Will," Picard said, his face showing his determination to get to the bottom of whatever it was. "All departments, damage reports, on the double!"

"Captain, shields minimal, phasers and torpedos offline," reported the tactical officer, Micah Shapiro, a tall sandy-blonde Lieutenant from Idaho. "I can get them back, but engineering is saying two hours minimum."

"Mr. La Forge, what's your status?" Picard called over the intercom.

"Captain, we're picking up the pieces here. Warp engines are fluctuating. Whatever that was, it messed with us making a stable warp field. We can give you warp in about ten minutes. It looks like it's dissapating, whatever it was," Geordi replied.

"Give it your best, Geordi," Picard replied, cutting the channel. "Picard out."

Picard walked over to his Conn and Ops stations, resting his arm on the Conn. "Now let's see where we are," he thought out loud. "Perin, check the stars with all known stellar configurations."

"Calculating," she reported, entering the commands as quickly as possible. She tucked her hair behind her ear, revealing a cut across her cheek. "This can't be right. Captain, we're over 40,000 light years from our last position. We're in the Delta Quadrant."

==========

Theme song here and Credits

==========

=========
    Questions, comments, concerns?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  4. JJohnson

Kell Perin, Trill, 28, Lieutenant. I stole the name from the officer in Insurrection, but changed the last name slightly - different Symboite. My original name was Kayla Rivo - change back, or keep the current name?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  5. JJohnson

"Forty-thousand light years?" Picard repeated, taking it in.

"Confirmed, captain," Data said, tapping commands into his operations console. "we have been displaced into the Delta Quadrant. And if our sensors are functioning correctly..."

The image on the viewscreen was unmistakable. A Borg cube loomed large across the screen, pausing only to scan the Enterprise. It stood there a moment, not making a move.

Picard heard the voices again. The Collective. But it was...different. It seemed...almost worried.

The cube proceeded forward, followed by two more, then a dozen more, entering warp ahead of the Enterprise.

[​IMG]

"Helmsley," Picard called, snapping out of it. "Follow them. Best possible speed. But keep our distance."

"Captain?" the conn officer turned around, wondering why they would want to follow the Borg.

"Call it a hunch," Picard answered the unasked question.

Helmsley entered the commands and the Enterprise made its best impulse speed; warp power was still a few minutes away.

"Captain," Troi began as Picard sat down at his chair. "You heard it again, didn't you?"

"I did, counselor," he answered, turning to Troi. "They sounded...disjointed. Almost worried. Something is going on here, and I want to find out what it is. It may have something to do with why we're here."

"Helmsley, keep us a safe distance from the Borg, and I want senior staff to the briefing room in twenty minutes," Picard ordered as he got into the turbolift for astrometrics himself.

===========

On the bridge, Riker and the others were picking up the pieces, getting things in order, when he heard Counselor Troi gasp out in pain and collapse onto the master display in the aft portion of the bridge.

"Deanna!" Riker called out in concern. He rushed to her, Perin as well, to help her up. They helped her to her station next to the captain's chair.

"I'm alright now, thank you," Deanna said to Perin, who looked up to Riker before leaving.

Riker nodded to her, and she returned to her station to make sure the astrometric readings were correct. "Deanna, what happened? It sounded like you were in pain."

"I felt like a runabout hit me at warp 9," she said, hand to her head. "I saw bodies...Borg bodies. Tangled together. It was...grotesque."

[​IMG]

"I want Dr. Crusher to check you out," Riker said as he brought his hand up to open the comm channel.

"I can wait, Will. Let her take care of any injuries first before checking me out," she assured him.

"All the same, I want you to get some rest. That's an order," Riker said, a noticeable tinge of concern in his voice as she left the bridge.

====================

Credit: Rabbittooth for the Enterprise and cubes. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  6. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

I have converted the image to a link, as it's on Trekcore, which I assume you don't own.

Please don't 'hotlink' images here.

Definition (Thanks to Nerys Ghemor):
    Consider yourself given a friendly notification.

7. JJohnson

A short time later, the senior staff gathered in the observation lounge aft of the bridge. Picard sat down, as the other officers took their chairs.

[​IMG]

"Alright, let's begin. Data, what do we know?" Picard asked his second officer.

[​IMG]

"We were monitoring the region near the Alghani system when an anomaly, what sensors indicate was a form of gravimetric distortion, caused the Enterprise to spatially displace itself approximately 40,000 light years into the Delta Quadrant. It appears we are on the edge of Borg space," Data replied, using the monitor in the observation lounge to illustrate his point. "There is an increased amount of Borg activity in three sectors near our location. It unknown why the number of vessels have increased, but it would be wise to avoid those locations while we effect repairs."

"Mr. La Forge?" Picard continued.

"We've gotten main power stabilized. Warp power is minimal, but we can still function. If we were still in the Alpha Quadrant, I'd recommend getting back to a starbase," Geordi reported.

"Without that, what's the best speed we can muster?" Riker asked.

"I can give you warp 6 right now," Geordi answered, looking towards his fellow officer. "Anything higher will take another two hours. Weapons and shields, an hour."

"Let me know how the repairs are coming," Picard said, as he turned to his medical officer.

"Dr. Crusher, how are the crew?"

"No casualties, captain, just a few scrapes and bruises," Beverly replied.

"Excellent. I want all departments to look into finding out a safe area away from the Borg, so we can make repairs and then focus on finding a way back home," Picard continued.

"Captain, there is a disabled Borg vessel here," Data interjected, changing the display to show what he intended, "that may contain information as to what is occurring here, why we came here, and could potentially give us a tactical advantage."

Picard thought about it for a moment. He did not want any part of the Borg, after their kidnapping of him, and the near assimilation of his own vessel. He wanted to be as far away as possible. But his crew came first, and finding out any new information on the Borg could hold a chance of helping them get home faster.

"Very well. Mr. Riker, we will head towards the damaged vessel. Shields and weapons at ready. Prepare an away team," Picard commanded. "Stay Alert. Dismissed."

Counselor Troi hung back as the rest of the crew filed out to proceed with their next set of objectives. "Captain, I can sense your anxiety...is there anything you'd like to tell me?"

"Counselor...I...felt the Collective. I heard their voice. It was anxious almost, as if something were worrying the Borg," Picard answered, thinking through how to voice what he heard from the Borg.

"I didn't think anything could worry the Borg," Troi replied.

"Neither did I," Picard answered. "But if there is something that can do that, I'm not sure we want to meet them."

========

8. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I just started reading this..now, I am not big into star-dates, so when exactly is this taking place? After First Contact??? And, if so, are you saying this will alter the time line so that NEMESIS didn't happen? (which is fine with me?)

I'll hold off on reading until I get your answer..thanks..Rob

But I liked what I read so far!!! and the pictures add to it as well!!

Rob
    Scorpio

9. JJohnson

Hey RobertScorpio,
    This stardate places Raven's Call at the end of 2373, after First Contact, but before Insurrection (2375), and exactly at the time Voyager encountered the Borg in Scorpion. This will have a few far-reaching effects, from negating seasons 4-7 of Voyager, to possibly changing the Enterprise's continuing missions. I wouldn't mind erasing Nemesis from my mind - if only to replace it with a worthier "final mission" - including Sela, as originally planned somewhere.

I'm glad you like it, and I'm going to keep adding pictures and story as I can. I want to thank Rabbittooth for being the 'resident artist' here. I'm no Photoshop wizard, and it's people like him and An-Gel Sakura who make this kind of storytelling easy.

Enjoy!

James

10. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Great..sounds like a great idea...Will be interesting to see where you take this...

Rob
    Scorpio

11. JJohnson

=======

Captain Picard entered sickbay, walking past the various crew who were being treated for the minor injuries sustained in the journey into the Delta Quadrant.

His eyes met with Dr. Crusher, who was treating Ensign Katari on one of the bio-beds with a hypo.

"Get some rest Karyssa," Beverly said, patting the young blonde Ottoian on the back, and letting her out of her care.

"Doctor," Picard called to her in greeting, smiling. "Now that we may face the Borg again, I understand you have something you wanted to show me?"

"Yes," Beverly replied, returning his smile. "I want to show you something in the lab that I've been working on....since 2063." She joked as she led Jean-Luc into the medical lab.

Entering the lab, she crossed to the microscope to peer in on her experiment.

[​IMG]

She focused, then turned back to the captain. "As you know, the Borg assimilate via nanites, and we've had a plentiful supply on the Enterprise."

Picard nodded, not fondly remembering the near total assimilation of his ship at the hands of the Borg when they were transported to 2063 by them.

"What I've seen is that they assimilate the victim's blood first," Beverly said as the graphic behind her showed exactly what she was saying.

[​IMG]

"The assimilation is almost instantaneous this way," Beverly explained.

"The Borg take over the blood-cell functions...like a virus," Picard remarked with a dispassionate, dry voice.

"Exactly," Beverly remarked, and pointed back at the graphic, "which tells me we should try to enhance the immune system, creating a sort of antibody to assimilation."

"We were also working on a way to weaponize the nanites as well," Picard said, remembering a post-Wolf-359 briefing he had had. "Have you attempted that as well?"

"Yes, we've explored that avenue as well. We think we can reprogram the nanites to attack specific DNA sequences, destroying them instead of assimilating them," Beverly answered. "Are you planning on destroying the Borg?"

"Maybe," Jean-Luc replied. "If we were to do so, then being in the heart of their territory would be the place to do it. I simply want options available."

Beverly's expression at the suggestion of such a mass extinction was one of shock. As a doctor, she dedicated herself to preserving life, not extinguishing it with her work. Then again, the Borg did not have her same dedication; they would wipe out everything she had worked to preserve without a second thought.

"But I think we need to find out what has the Borg so frightened," Picard continued, "and if they are a bigger threat,....we may need to use this on them if necessary."

As Picard spoke, the recording of the blood assimilation repeated itself.

========

12. JJohnson

Edit to post #5:

"Forty-thousand light years?" Picard repeated, taking it in.

"Confirmed, captain," Data said, tapping commands into his operations console. "we have been displaced into the Delta Quadrant. And if our sensors are functioning correctly..."

The image on the viewscreen was unmistakable. A Borg cube loomed large across the screen, pausing only to scan the Enterprise. It stood there a moment, not making a move.

Picard heard the voices again. The Collective. But it was...different. It seemed...almost worried.

The cube proceeded forward, followed by two more, then a dozen more, entering warp ahead of the Enterprise.

[​IMG]

"Sir, I can't form a stable warp field..." Helmsley reported as he tapped at his helm controls, attempting to get the Enterprise out of the way of the Borg. He had only heard about them, but what he did hear, he wanted nothing to do with them.

The ship's power, already fluctuating in some areas, began fluctuating slightly as the ship trembled as the Borg vessels roared past, tossing the Enterprise around in their wake. The crew held on to their consoles, as the inertial dampening field strained to compensate.

One cube paused momentarily to scan the Enterprise; Perin made a sarcastic comment, "Think happy thoughts..."

[​IMG]

The cube broke off the scan and continued with the other dozen vessels ahead.

"Helmsley," Picard called, snapping out of it. "Follow them. Best possible speed. But keep our distance."

"Captain?" the conn officer turned around, wondering why they would want to follow the Borg.

"Call it a hunch," Picard answered the unasked question.

Helmsley entered the commands and the Enterprise made its best impulse speed; warp power was still a few minutes away.

"Captain," Troi began as Picard sat down at his chair. "You heard it again, didn't you?"

"I did, counselor," he answered, turning to Troi. "They sounded...disjointed. Almost worried. Something is going on here, and I want to find out what it is. It may have something to do with why we're here."

"Helmsley, keep us a safe distance from the Borg, and I want senior staff to the briefing room in twenty minutes," Picard ordered as he got into the turbolift for astrometrics himself.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  13. JJohnson

=======

"Captain Picard to the bridge," came Perin's voice over the comm.

Picard, who was still in the lab with Beverly, tapped his combadge, and responded, "On my way."

He began walking out, and as the door hissed open, he turned back to Beverly, "Beverly, keep me apprised." The door closed as Beverly watched him exit.

"I certainly hope we don't have to use this," she said under her breath as she turned back to her work.

========

Entering the bridge, Picard strode onto the bridge, and glanced at Perin as he took his seat. "Report."

"The power signatures of all those Borg vessels have terminated," Perin replied.

"All of them?" Riker asked, glancing from Perin to Data.

Data nodded, "They're completely inert...approximately 5.21 light years from here."

"Cause?" Picard asked, assessing what could have destroyed fifteen Borg cubes so utterly.

"Unknown," Perin replied, as her hands crossed the science console on the starboard side of the bridge.

[​IMG]

Picard thought for a moment. "Mr. Helmsley, set a course for their position - warp 2."

"Aye, sir," Helmsley replied, entering the coordinates.

"Engage," Picard said, giving the command.

[​IMG]

=========

14. JJohnson

Off topic
    ----------
    I'm looking for someone who can do a few photomanipulations along for this fanfic, so that it will tell the story better.

Any takers?

James

15. JJohnson

======
    [​IMG]
    The Enterprise came into the system at low warp, everyone at red alert. On the bridge, everyone manned their stations, ready for whatever might happen.

"We are approaching the ships, captain," Data informed as he adjusted his sensors.

"Slow to impulse. On screen," Picard ordered, as he stood up from his seat at the sight of it, walking down to the viewscreen area. He took in the sight of fifteen destroyed Borg cubes. The crew behind him were similarly surprised and amazed that the most indestructible foe they had faced had been so utterly destroyed.

Riker stood up as well, and looked to Data, "Lifesigns?"

"A few commander," Data replied, adjusting the scanners. "But they are....erratic."

"Captain, I'm detecting two residual weapons signatures in the debris," Perin reported, looking at her sensor data. "One is Borg....the other is...of unknown origin." The confusion in the young science officer's voice at the odd energy signature showed through.

"Who could do this to the Borg?" Helmsley asked from his station. He tapped a few controls to maintain the Enterprise's distance from the shifting debris.

16. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting tale you have here-got more?

17. adm_gold

adm_gold Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Since you mention this is in the timeline of Voyager's events with the Borg and Species 8472, AND you have a pic of 7 of 9 at the top, I'm interested to read more. More Please :bolian: And happy holidays.

18. JJohnson

I'm working on more; I do need a 'resident photo-manipulation expert' to do some simple photo-manips of the TNG movies' screen caps so I can plug them into the story here. If anyone's up for it, I can give you a screen list of what's coming up.

Thanks,

James

19. JJohnson

[graphic: Enterprise flying through Borg ship debris]

Captain Picard studied the viewscreen, taking in the sight before him. Part of him was secretly glad at seeing someone take out the Borg; the more immediate part, however, was frightened at what this 'someone' might have the potential to do to his ship and crew. He commented from his command chair, "Someone more powerful than the Borg...it's difficult to imagine..."

"But they seem to have taken out fifteen cubes..." Perrin said from her science console, with a voice laced with curiosity and awe at the feat. She leaned over the outer console to take a better look at the main viewscreen. "It's possible we may have just found ourselves a way through Borg space, if we can ally ourselves with them..." she said to no one in particular.

"Whoever it is," Helmsley remarked back to Perrin, "I'd like to shake their hands....if they have hands."

"Let's not jump to conclusions," Picard jumped in, to reign in any false hopes. He still felt uneasy, especially with Counselor Troi's earlier psychic event. "Mr. Data, scan the vicinity for other vessels."

"No other vessels present in the area, captain," Data replied, his fingers running across his console in his usual efficient manner.

"Hold on," Perrin said, attracting her two senior officer's attention. Riker stood up and walked over to the science console to get a better look at her readouts. "I'm picking up some sort of biological readings...coming from...the outer hull of one of the Borg ships."

Picard was looking to Perrin, who had changed the viewscreen to show what she was seeing [graphic: bioship on hull]. Riker looked to Data, as he and the rest of the crew see what's on the screen.

"Magnify," Picard ordered, as Data increased the view. The small, organic-looking bio-mass increased in size, looking like an ashen-colored squid, though without tentacles.

[graphic: magnified bio-ship]

"Definitely organic captain," Perrin confirmed. "But our sensors can't seem to penetrate its surface."

4 graphics requests: Enterprise through the debris; far view of bio-ship on view screen, magnified, and Perrin (Sophie Howard) at a side bridge console

20. Enterprise1981

Enterprise1981 Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting premise. I look forward to seeing how this plays out. So, the plan I guess is to make Seven of Nine an Enterprise-E crewmember, setting the stage for a whole different post-FC timeline.