Picard's British Accent

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Ro_Laren, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

As we all know (and are used to), the Frenchman Captain Picard has a British accent. When TNG first aired, did that bother a lot of the fans?? Does anyone remember?

2. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Not me

3. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

Not a lot. I mean, I did notice it but wasn't distracted by it. He could have spent a lot of time in Britain or is just putting on the accent like Baltar in BSG.

4. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Actually, Patrick Stewart is British. :)

5. NiteTrek

NiteTrek Captain

I thought it was kind of dumb. Why not just make the character british? A frenchman with a british accent really made no sense. It's not like Picard's french ancestry was vital to the story any more than british ancestry would have been.

Or, why not have Stewart do a french accent?

Then I guess his brother and his brother's family also spent a lot of time in Britian, meanwhile keeping the family vineyard going in France.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would have been comical. There's no way around it.

7. NiteTrek

NiteTrek Captain

Well, they could have changed the character's name to Captain Clouseau. :lol:

8. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

So's James Callis, but Baltar's accent is still fake. :)

9. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

He probably learned English from a Brit so of course he spoke with a British accent. So that never bothered me.

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

My personal canon is that somewhere amidst the post-apocalyptic horrors of late-21st century Earth, Britain conquered France. :techman:

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I always sort of retconned it having him be so eager to get into the Academy that he managed to convince his family to send him to schools in England, prestigious universities and boarding schools where having spent most of his formative years he formed a British accent.

12. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

A lot of French people speak English with an English accent. It's not surprising since they learn their English in the UK. I'm surprised you think it's surprising.

13. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Indeed.

Sometimes the parochialism makes the mind boggle.

14. Amaris

Amaris Guest

This is what I thought also. My French teacher (who was from France) spoke with a British accent when speaking in English. I figured that was commonplace.

J.

15. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Universal translator - he was speaking French all the time. What? you think all those aliens spoke with American accents? :p

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

That's always been my theory.

And, of course, the French offered very little resistance to the British invasion forces. ;)

17. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^I was going to offer that in all the chaos, they surrendered proactively when they hadn't even been fighting the British...but I didn't want to insult any of our posters from France. ;)

18. NiteTrek

NiteTrek Captain

Which still doesn't explain why Picard's brother, brother's wife, nephew all spoke with a heavy british accent. Even Picard's old friend (Louis?) didn't speak with a french accent.

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Pfft. What are they going to do? Throw their berets and croissants at us?

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

There's not a lot of water separating the two countries in the 21st century, and there's a tunnel ("the Chunnel") connecting the two. People go shopping "over the Channel" for the afternoon.

Seems to me that by the 24th century - even without the transporter - there could be parts of France where British accents are the norm, and parts of UK vice versa. One could raise grapes in a French vineyard, yet socialize and be educated in Britain, or a British-dominated French university. Easily.