Shore Leave

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by terpette, Jul 9, 2008.

1. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

I'll be looking forward to near a dozen novels next year, then!

Two Titan, two Vanguard, two DS9 Relaunch, the Destiny follow ups, the new NF novel and the TNG and VOY Relaunch books too!

My favourite cover is the one for Over A Torrent Sea, because it's the first time we're presumably seeing my beloved Ensign Aili Lavena!

2. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Okay, here's the current schedule, with some new stuff announced for the first time at the Pocket presentation at Shore Leave, presented by Marco Palmieri and Margaret Clark. Please keep in mind that the schedule is tentative and subject to change, particularly as you get farther away from the present.

Key: hc=hardcover, ho=hardcover omnibus, tp=trade paperback, to=trade paperback omnibus, mm=mass-market paperback, mr=mass-market reprint

July 2008
    Myriad Universes: Infinity's Prism by William Leisner, Christopher L. Bennett, and James Swallow (tp)
    DS9: Fearful Symmetry by Olivia Woods (mm)

August 2008
    Myriad Universes: Echoes and Refractions by Geoff Trowbridge, Keith R.A. DeCandido, and Chris Roberson (tp)
    TNG: Greater than the Sum by Christopher L. Bennett (mm)

September 2008
    Star Trek 101 by Terry J. Erdmann & Paula M. Block (tp)
    ENT: Kobayashi Maru by Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels (mm)
    Star Trek calendar
    Ships of the Line calendar

October 2008
    COE: Wounds by Ilsa J. Bick, Keith R.A. DeCandido, John J. Ordover, Terri Osborne, and Cory Rushton (to)
    Destiny: Gods of Night by David Mack (mm)

November 2008
    Destiny: Mere Mortals by David Mack (mm)
    Academy: Collision Course by William Shatner, with Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens (mr)

December 2008
    Destiny: Lost Souls by David Mack (mm)

January 2009
    Mirror Universe: Shards and Shadows, ed. by Margaret Clark & Marco Palmieri (tp)
    TOS: Errand of Fury: Sacrifices of War by Kevin Ryan (mm)

February 2009
    A Singular Destiny by Keith R.A. DeCandido (mm)

March 2009
    TOS: Mere Anarchy by Mike W. Barr, Christopher L. Bennett, Margaret Wander Bonanno, Dave Galanter, Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore, and Howard Weinstein (to)
    Titan: Over a Torrent Sea by Christopher L. Bennett (mm)

April 2009
    NF: Treason by Peter David (tp)
    VOY: Full Circle by Kirsten Beyer (mm)

May 2009
    TOS: Crucible by David R. George III (ho)
    Vanguard: Open Secrets by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore (mm)

June 2009
    TOS: Troublesome Minds by Dave Galanter (mm)

July 2009
    TNG: Losing the Peace by William Leisner (mm)

August 2009
    Seven Deadly Sins, ed. by Marco Palmieri (tp)
    DS9: The Soul Key by Olivia Woods (mm)

September 2009
    DS9: The Never-Ending Sacrifice by Una McCormack (mm)

October 2009
    ENT: The Romulan War by Michael A. Martin (tp)
    VOY (title TBA) by Kirsten Beyer (mm)

November 2009
    Myriad Universes (title and authors TBA) (tp)
    Titan (title TBA) by James Swallow (mm)

December 2009
    COE: Out of the Cocoon by Robert T. Jeschonek, Kevin Killiany, William Leisner, and Phaedra M. Weldon (to)
    Vanguard (title TBA) by David Mack (mm)

The following titles don't have publication months yet, but are intended for 2010:
    TOS: The Unspoken Truth by Margaret Wander Bonanno (mm)
    TOS: The Millennium Bloom by Mike W. Barr (mm)

Some artwork:
    Star Trek 101
    Destiny: Gods of Night (art by Cliff Nielsen)
    Destiny: Mere Mortals (art by Stephane Martiniere)
    Errand of Fury: Sacrifices of War
    A Singular Destiny (art by Alan Dingman)
    Titan: Over a Torrent Sea
    TOS: Mere Anarchy
    VOY: Full Circle
    Vanguard: Open Secrets

Also, three images from the 2009 Ships of the Line calendar:
    One
    Two
    Three

Some other notes:

Troublesome Minds will be a five-year mission story. Losing the Peace, like A Singular Destiny, Full Circle, and Over a Torrent Sea, will be a Destiny followup, in this case for the TNG gang. The Soul Key will pick up where Fearful Symmetry left off, while The Never-Ending Sacrifice will focus on Cardassia. Unspoken Truth will be a Saavik story, and The Millennium Bloom will be a Captain April story.

Finally, Seven Deadly Sins will have seven long stories in them:

Pride: the Romulans, by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore
    Envy: the Cardassians, by James Swallow
    Wrath: the Klingons, by Keith R.A. DeCandido
    Sloth: the Pakleds, by Jimmy Diggs
    Greed: the Ferengi, by David A. McIntee
    Gluttony: the Borg, by Marc Giller
    Lust: the Mirror Universe, by Britta Dennison

Okay, it's late and I'm going to bed. If you have any questions, I may not be in a position to answer them until Sunday....

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  3. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Aaaaaaaaaaaand, I just realized that most of this was posted. Ah, well. Sorry for the repetition...

4. Dancing Doctor

Dancing Doctor Admiral Admiral

Don't be. It made it easier for me to copy-paste onto a Word document and print out. You just gave me my Trek Lit shopping list for the next few years. :techman:

5. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

KRAD, can you tell us anything about who will feature in A Singular Destiny? I'm hoping for a follow-up to Articles Of The Federation, one of my absolute favorite Trek novels.

6. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

7. Kopernikus

Kopernikus Commander Red Shirt

Nonetheless, we aprreciate your efforts ;)

Indeed, I have some.

What about the Back-Cover-Texts for Destiny? Are they already ready for the public?

In General some Pagecounts would interesting, for example the Romaulan-War-Trade (We've seen trade from 250 to 650 pages, I hope this one is somewhere on the upper half of this scale)

The Crucible-Hardback: Will the stories themselves be edited or is the new Material seperate, like new Short-stories in this context or something similar? But either way, I will buy this one, for me Crucible McCoy is still the best Trek-Book ever, one that definetly deserves a Hardcover.

Seven Deadly Sins:

How long are the stories? Roughly like an CoE-novella?

Already a third Myriad Universes-Book? The preorders must be astonishing...

Another thing about the Romulan War: What happened to Andy Mangels? Is he too busy with his Non-Trek-projects?

Good to see Olivia Woods appearing on the schdule again, Fearful Symetry was one hell of a debut. I'm usually not a big fan of the DS9-Relaunch but this one was amazing. Hopefully she joins the Author-gang here at the TrekBBS someday.

Which ship is that on the Open Secrets-cover? Looks like NCC 1896?
    Really nice covers btw, a nice misture of ships, characters and abstracts, each one being very beautiful in it's very own way.

Overall this looks like ine hell of a vintage, looks even more promising than the gorgeous 2008-schedule did.

8. Andy Mangels

Andy Mangels Writer Red Shirt

The book IS only being written by Mike.

Within the next few days, we should be posting a statement, so please hold speculation until then.

9. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

going out on a limb, here, i'd say the Endaevour

Treason, a TP? will it get an MM reprint?

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

If it does are you really going to wait another whole year? ;)

11. Baerbel Haddrell

Baerbel Haddrell Commodore Commodore

That is an excellent mix: Something for everybody! All that is missing is more Gorkon.

I find it very interesting that NF will be a trade paperback for the first time and we get an omnibus as harcover! Enterprise as a trade paperback that is not a novelization, that is new too!

The Destiny and related covers are excellent. Especially the "A Singular Destiny" cover got my attention. Not only it is an impressive piece of art, it makes me very curious. Maybe the aftermath of Destiny will be a rebuild and reorganize chapter in Starfleet, the Federation and beyond. But we will see, of course.

There are a lot of promising books here and a lot of money I intend to spend. But I am not complaining, far from it! :)

Has anyboy some more information about the new New Frontier novel "Treason"? Is it another Destiny related book?

12. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

NCC-1895; The Endeavour.

Interestingly enough, when I was shown an "almost, but not quite" version of the cover, the ship had 1701 (because that's what's on the original digital model artist Doug Drexler had created for Constitution-class ships). That's my current desktop background :evil:

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Hey folks, please be careful with the Fearful Symmetry spoilers. Some of us haven't read it yet.

14. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

That's an excellent lineup of books. There are a couple of them I really don't have much interest in, but aside from the Crucible omnibus (I already have the three books) I'll be buying all of it.

Coolest surprise: a Saavik novel by Margaret Wander Bonanno.

15. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A ton of cool stuff. I'll be buying a ton of books.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if Unspoken Truth will take any of Saavik's non-screen appearances into account?

17. Therin of Andor

Margaret Wander Bonanno's Pike novel, "Burning Dreams", was well-researched for what had gone before in the novels.

18. Therin of Andor

But... it's... got... new... extra... stuff... in... it...!

Cannot... resist... extra... stuff... :bolian:

19. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I can answer that one, being that I'm writing "Reservoir Ferengi" in it... 20,000 words, so yeah, novella-length.

20. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Excellent to see so many different types of books listed for next year. I'm really excited about the new Tos Books A new Saavik novel written by Margaret Wander Bonnano awesome. I always hoped there would be a solo novel about her again after Star Trek 4.and Captain April. Glad to see 2 new ds9 novels Olivia Woods and Una McCormack is back again terrific news!And a giant trade paperback about Enterprise and the Earth /Romulan wars is the one I've been looking forward to getting. Actually alot of great books to choose from.:bolian::) More Titan books is what I've been hoping to see happen!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008