Is a complete list of all the Psi Phi Awards available?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DS9forever, Feb 21, 2008.

1. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

When did they begin? I know KRAD's fantastic Horn and Ivory won best short story in the 2001 awards. It would be a great help to us on Memory Beta.

2. frkcd

frkcd Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've got a list that I've created in a word document as well as a spreadsheet that tallies the wins in categories by year and by "series." I can email both as attachments (although it may need to be Monday as I believe both are on my home computer and not here at work) if you are interested.

DBG

3. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I recall Twilight winning best novel of 2002.

4. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have an "official list" typed up and sitting in a Word file on my home computer. I've been meaning to put up a webpage, but I admit that Memory Beta would make a good substitute. Since I'm lazy.

5. Stevil2001

Got it. In includes some background and comments and such.

THE PSI PHI AWARDS FOR ACHIEVEMENT IN STAR TREK LITERATURE

Since 2000, the denizens of the Internet (primarily at the Psi Phi Discussion Forum) have voted on what the best Star Trek books of each year have been. Though Psi Phi is largely a shell of its former self, the Awards continue. They have been organized by a number of volunteers over time:

2000: Simon Cooper
    2001: CA Surfer Guy
    2002: Michael Schuster
    2003: Steve Mollmann & Michael Schuster
    2004: Steve Mollmann & Jonathan Polk
    2005/2006: Brendan Moody & Andrew Timson

Over time, rules have changes, and categories have been added and removed. No volunteers stepped up to run the 2005 Awards, necessitating a combined ceremony the next year.

BEST NOVEL

2000: Andrew J. Robinson for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #27: A Stitch in Time
    2001: S.D. Perry for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Avatar
    2002: David R. George III for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission: Gamma, Book One: Twilight
    2003: David R. George III for Star Trek: The Lost Era, 2311: Serpents Among the Ruins
    2004: Keith R.A. DeCandido for Star Trek: A Time for War, A Time for Peace
    2005: Keith R.A. DeCandido for Star Trek: Articles of Federation
    2006: David R. George III for Star Trek: Crucible: McCoy: Provenance of Shadows

BEST eBOOK

2000: Keith R.A. DeCandido for Star Trek: S.C.E. #2: Fatal Error
    2001: Keith R.A. DeCandido for Star Trek: S.C.E. #6: Cold Fusion
    2002: Keith R.A. DeCandido for Star Trek: S.C.E. #23: War Stories, Book One
    2003: David Mack for Star Trek: S.C.E. #24: Wildfire, Book Two
    2004: Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore for Star Trek: S.C.E. #44: Where Time Stands Still
    2005: David Mack for Star Trek: S.C.E. #49: Small World
    2006: Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore for Star Trek: Mere Anarchy: Things Fall Apart

BEST COMIC STORY

2000: Peter David, Michael Collins, and David Roach for Star Trek: New Frontier: Double Time
    2001: John J. Ordover, David Mack, Andrew Currie, Michael Collins, David Roach, and Richard Bennett for Star Trek: The Next Generation/Deep Space Nine: Divided We Fall

This Award was discontinued due to the lack of Star Trek comics.

BEST SHORT STORY

2000: Peter David for “Shakedown” in Star Trek: Enterprise Logs (Carol Greenburg, ed.)
    2001: Keith R.A. DeCandido for “Horn and Ivory” in Star Trek: Gateways, Book Seven: What Lay Beyond
    2002: Robert J. Mendenhall for “Fear Itself” in Star Trek: Strange New Worlds V (Dean Wesley Smith with John J. Ordover and Paula M. Block, ed.)
    2003: David Mack for “Waiting for G’Doh, or, How I Learned to Stop Moving and Hate People” in Star Trek: New Frontier: No Limits (Peter David with Keith R.A. DeCandido, ed.)
    2004: Keith R.A. DeCandido for “The Ceremony of Innocence is Drowned” in Star Trek: Tales of the Dominion War (Keith R.A. DeCandido, ed.)
    2005: Kevin Lauderdale for “Assignment: One” in Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 8 (Dean Wesley Smith with Elisa J. Kassin and Paula M. Block, ed.)
    2006: Allyn Gibson for “Make-Believe” in Star Trek: Constellations (Marco Palmieri, ed.)

BEST WORK OF NONFICTION

2000: Terry J. Erdman with Paula M. Block for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion
    2001: Adam "Mojo" Lebowitz and Robert Bonchune with Johnathan Lane and Alex Rosenzweig for Star Trek: Starship Spotter
    2002: Geoffrey Mandel with Doug Drexler, Tim Earls, Larry Nemeck, and Christian Ruehl for Star Trek: Star Charts
    2003: Paul Ruditis for Star Trek: Voyager Companion
    2004: Wil Wheaton for Just a Geek
    2005: Terry Lee Rioux for From Sawdust to Stardust: The Biography of DeForest Kelley, Star Trek's Dr. McCoy
    2006: Jeff Ayers for Voyages of Imagination: The Star Trek Fiction Companion

BEST CONTINUING STORY

2000: Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Millennium trilogy
    2001: S.D. Perry for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Avatar duology
    2002: David R. George III, Heather Jarman, Andy Mangels, Michael A. Martin, and Robert Simpson for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission: Gamma miniseries
    2003: Ilsa J. Bick, Margaret Wander Bonanno, Keith R.A. DeCandido, David R. George III, Andy Mangels, Jeff Mariotte, and Michael A. Martin for Star Trek: The Lost Era miniseries
    2004: Keith R.A. DeCandido, Kevin Dilmore, Robert Greenberger, David Mack, John Vornholt, and Dayton Ward for Star Trek: The Next Generation: A Time to... maxiseries

Also known sometimes as “Best Miniseries”, this Award was discontinued due to the decreasing prevalence of miniseries, especially ones where all constituent parts were released in one calendar year.

BEST COVER

2000: Greg Bridges for Star Trek #89: New Earth, Book One: Wagon Train to the Stars
    2001: Cliff Nielsen for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Avatar
    2002: Dru Blair for Star Trek: The Next Generation: Immortal Coil
    2003: Cliff Nielsen for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Unity
    2004: John Blackford for Star Trek: Tales of the Dominion War
    2005: Mark Gerber for Star Trek: Articles of the Federation (design by John Vairo, Jr.)
    2006: Cliff Nielsen for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Warpath

BEST NEW NOVELIST

2001: Keith R.A. DeCandido for Star Trek: The Next Generation #61: Diplomatic Implausibility
    2002: Heather Jarman for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission: Gamma, Book Two: This Gray Spirit
    2003: J.G. Hertzler for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Left Hand of Destiny (with Jeffrey Lang)
    2004: David Mack for Star Trek: A Time to Kill and A Time to Heal
    2005: Christopher L. Bennett for Star Trek: Ex Machina

First presented in 2001, this Award is given to a writer who publishes his first novel—regardless of whether or not he has already published a short story, eBook, &c.

BEST SERIES

2001: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    2002: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    2003: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    2004: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    2005: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    2006: Star Trek: The Original Series

BEST SCENE

2001: Keith R.A. DeCandido for the fight between Hirogen Alpha and Taran'atar in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Gateways #4: Demons of Air and Darkness
    2002: Michael A. Martin and Andy Mangels for the death of First Minister Shakaar in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission: Gamma, Book Three: Cathedral
    2003: S.D. Perry for Sisko and Kira in the captain's office in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Unity
    2004: Keith R.A. DeCandido for the Troi house being destroyed in the Dominion attack in "The Ceremony of Innocence is Drowned" in Star Trek: Tales of the Dominion War
    2005: David R. George III for Taran'atar's attack on Kira and Ro in The Dominion: Olympus Descending in Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Volume Three
    2006: David Mack for Prynn and Vaughn's cliffhanger in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Warpath

This Award was first presented in 2001. Voting in the final Awards is done from a shortlist created by informally polling the Psi Phi Discussion Form and the TrekBBS Literature Forum.

BEST NEW CHARACTER

2001: Commander Elias Vaughn, first appeared in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Avatar, Book One by S.D. Perry
    2002: Admiral Leonard James Akaar, first appeared in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission: Gamma, Book One: Twilight by David R. George III
    2003: Pharh, first appeared in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Left Hand of Destiny, Book One by J.G. Hertzler and Jeffrey Lang
    2004: Governor Nan Bacco, first appeared in Star Trek: A Time for War, A Time for Peace by Keith R.A. DeCandido
    2005: Doctor Shenti Yisec Eres Ree, first appeared in Star Trek: Titan #1: Taking Wing by Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels
    2006: Lynn Dickinson, first appeared in Star Trek: Crucible: McCoy: Provenance of Shadows by David R. George III

This Award was first presented in 2001. Voting in the final Awards is done from a shortlist created by informally polling the Psi Phi Discussion Form and the TrekBBS Literature Forum.

BEST EDITOR

2001: Marco Palmieri

This controversial Award was only presented in 2001.

6. Stevil2001

THE HALL OF FAME

In 2000, these Awards were for the “Best of All Time”. In subsequent years, they became known as the “Hall of Fame”. In 2004, the rules were altered somewhat (due to the fact that recent books were dominating the Hall of Fame): up to three works could be voted for in each category, but they had have been published before 2000 (with the exception of eBooks, which merely had to be from before the present year). With two years done at once in 2005 and 2006, they were suspended.

NOVEL HALL OF FAME

2000: Peter David for Star Trek: The Next Generation: Imzadi
    2001: Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens for Star Trek: Federation
    2002: Andrew J. Robinson for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #27: A Stitch in Time
    2003: (three-way tie) S.D Perry for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Avatar and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Unity and David R. George III for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission: Gamma, Book One: Twilight
    2004: Peter David for Star Trek: The Next Generation: Q-Squared

In 2003, there was a three-way tie for induction into the Hall of Fame! This, above all else, was the reasoning behind 2004’s new rules.

eBOOK HALL OF FAME

2002: (tie) Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore for Star Trek: S.C.E. #4-5: Interphase and Keith R.A. DeCandido and David Mack for Star Trek: S.C.E. #7-8: Invincible
    2003: Aaron Rosenberg for Star Trek: S.C.E. #33: Collective Hindsight, Book One
    2004: David Mack for Star Trek: S.C.E. #22-23: Wildfire

COMIC BOOK HALL OF FAME

2000: Chris Claremont, Adam Hughes, and Karl Story for Star Trek: Debt of Honor
    2001: (tie) Peter David, Tom Sutton, and Ricardo Villagram for Star Trek: Who Killed Captain Kirk? and Mike W. Barr, Tom Sutton, and Ricardo Villagram for Star Trek: The Mirror Universe Saga
    2002: Peter David, Michael Collins, and David Roach for Star Trek: New Frontier: Double Time
    2003: John J. Ordover, David Mack, Andrew Currie, Michael Collins, David Roach, and Richard Bennett for Star Trek: The Next Generation/Deep Space Nine: Divided We Fall
    2004: Michael Jan Friedman, Peter David, Pablo Marcos, Adam Hughes, and Karl Story for Star Trek: The Modala Imperative

NONFICTION HALL OF FAME

2000: Michael and Denise Okuda & Debbi Mirek for Star Trek Encyclopedia
    2001: Michael and Denise Okuda for Star Trek Chronology
    2002: Terry J. Erdman with Paula M. Block for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion
    2003: Geoffrey Mandel with Doug Drexler, Tim Earls, Larry Nemeck, and Christian Ruehl for Star Trek: Star Charts
    2004: Rick Sternbach and Michael Okuda for Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual

COVER HALL OF FAME

2000: Keith Birdsong for Star Trek: Federation
    2001: Studio X for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Millennium
    2002: Cliff Nielsen for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Avatar
    2003: Cliff Nielsen for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Unity
    2004: Keith Birdsong for Star Trek: The Next Generation: Dark Mirror

ACHIEVEMENT IN BOOK FANDOM

2003: Steve Roby

This special Award was presented just once, at the discretion of the organizers.

THE ORDOVER

2000: John J. Ordover
    2001: Marco Palmieri
    2003: Peter David
    2004: Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens

Initially known as the “Lifetime Achievement Award”, this was renamed in honor of its first recipient. In 2002, the Award was declined.

7. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Minor correction: War Stories Book 1 was S.C.E. #21, not 23. (#23 was Wildfire Book 1.)

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Just a thought. Should the book/comic/cover "Hall of Fame" awards section be listed as being for the product itself in bold, listed first, rather than the creators?

It just seems odd to see the whole string of bolded people listed before getting to the actual entity that won the category.

9. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Who declined The Ordover in 2002 and why was the Best Editor controversial?

Man, me and my curious nature. :alienblush:

10. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't recall who did the declining (KRAD, maybe?), but I do recall some of the arguments revolved around the visibility of editors. Certain editors like John Ordover, Marco and KRAD who have a visible online presence will be better known than others who work on the Trek line but don't/can't participate in online communities (and just to demonstrate that principle, I can't recall who the other editors are, other than Margaret Clark, though I know they've been mentioned more than once). The idea was that such a contest unfairly favoured those editors for something that had nothing to do with editing proper, that Margaret and the others work just as hard but simply aren't/weren't as high-profile online.

Of course, the Psi Phi Awards are run by, and voted on, the online community, so it's only natural that the proclivities of the community will be reflected in the voting, just like the Oscars reflect the preferences of the Academy. Still, I get that one doesn't have to exacerbate the problems of a self-selecting voting pool with categories for work of which we only get an unequal glimpse.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

11. JAG

JAG Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the clarification. I figured it had something to do with that.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I've actually read alot more of those books than I expected.

13. Stevil2001

I like seeing the people recognized. So I did it that way.

14. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore