A look back at Season 1

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by donners22, Jan 14, 2008.

1. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I wrote this for a fan magazine, and thought it may be of some interest to people here. Give me credit for digging up decade-old articles, if nothing else!

It is interesting to look back at the Victorian media's reaction to Voyager's début on 16 April, 1996. The Age' Green Guide was complimentary, praising the “evolution of modern day Star Trek”, noting that DS9 has “social realist” characters who “don't quite get along”, while Voyager is “darker, grittier, more desperate” with “very little sense of control”, adding that the “new starship is terrific” and, “Janeway continues the proud tradition of Starfleet women”. The Herald Sun featured several articles. The 10 April TV guide featured a half-page interview with Derek Screen, president of the Star Trek Appreciation Society of Victoria. He says that Voyager has “less technobabble” and “over-the-top” characters, making it more accessible. 14 April's TV Guide calls it a “boom series” which goes “back to the the true adventure elements of The Original Series” and predicts it will “turn out to be the best of the Trek spin-offs”. In a mild irony, Eric Bana has a full-page article in the same guide, well before signing on for Star Trek XI. The only negative review came on the day it aired, with a Herald Sun reviewer saying it “adds little to the genre” and that “Mulgrew is plain annoying”, though it “was worth a look for style alone”. The reviewer made it clear he was not a Star Trek fan, so the comments should be taken in that context. Most notably for fans used to poor treatment of Trek by TV networks, Voyager débuted at 8:30pm, with both TNG and TOS on at 11pm the same night. Unfortunately, it did not last long, with Voyager relegated to a late-night slot in a couple of weeks.

The best thing about a complete set of a series is seeing how the show began and tracking its development. Voyager started with a strong pilot, much faster-moving than TNG and more comprehensible than DS9. It is quite frustrating that many of the elements that made it so promising are quickly abandoned. Neelix has a real edge, Kes has the strength and impetuousness that saw her originally leave her people and there is the promise of conflict between Starfleet and Maquis, yet none of these are really developed in this season.

The first few episodes after the pilot have problems. "Time and Again" is weighed down by technobabble and simply bad science and the next episode, "Parallax", features an identical concept of time displacement with effect proceeding cause. Two of the first ten episodes feature aliens who look exactly human, with no explanation, there are no language difficulties, one race has pistols and another pet dogs! This greatly detracts from the concept of being on the other side of the galaxy, and does not capture the sense of the “unknown” as Enterprise did. Perhaps of most concern is the writing of Neelix as jealous and possessive of Kes, then selfish and whining when he confronts Janeway for taking risks. This makes the character quite dislikeable, and early impressions remain.

The early problems are notable. However, the series offers so much more, which those who gave up on it early would miss out on. Most evident is the development of the Doctor. Watching his struggle to be accepted, nervousness with his first away mission and interactions with Kes are a reminder of how far the character came. It is quite amusing to hear him speculate about creating a family or raising an army and scornfully dismiss a suggestion that he sing – he will do all three later in the series. Janeway's different command style, trying to be “more than a captain” to her crew and maintain discipline without provoking a mutiny, is also refreshing. Watching her blistering rebuke of B'Elanna without ever raising her voice, her shock at Tuvok's betrayal, her confrontation with Cullah (“I don't like bullies, I don't like threats, and I don't like you!”), it is clear this is a very different captain to those that came before, and Mulgrew plays it well.

Of the specific episodes, there are several standouts. “Eye of the Needle” is a well-told story of the crew's attempts to get home, and watching the reactions as each option fails is memorable and emotional. “Emanations” is an interesting study of what happens when Voyager's inadvertent interference reveals to a race its afterlife isn't what it has long believed. “Prime Factors” is able to use Voyager's unique story of having both non-Starfleet crew and a desperate need to return home to have senior officers betray Janeway. Such a disobeyal of a captain's orders would not have been easily explained on another series, but here it makes sense. “Jetrel” reveals the potential of Neelix in a dramatic episode with downright poetic dialogue.

The extras on the DVD include a look at the original Janeway, Genevive Bujold, who looks distinctly uncomfortable in the role. There are also looks at the special effects, a day on the set and reflections from the cast.

The season is brief (four more episodes were filmed, but held over for season 2), and unlike following seasons, does not end with a cliffhanger. There are few ongoing plots, presumably to keep the series accessible to new viewers. However, the exposure of a traitor aboard Voyager will have consequences in the second season. It is not Voyager's best season by any means but serves as a nice introduction to the characters and mission.

2. Luckyflux

Luckyflux Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, Voyager did have its share of problems but overall I thought it was pretty good. At times, I thought that Voyager had better episodes than DS9 (Heresy I know!).

At least, to me, it felt like Star Trek. Tuvok was a great character. Too many Borg episodes but overall good stuff.

I don't know, alot of people seem to hate Voyager for some reason, but for me I enjoyed it. It was Star Trek, and the stories were good. I guess I don't look into stuff as much as other people, I just enjoy the episodes for what they are/were.

3. misskim86

misskim86 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I received whole Voyager this christmas and I just finished season 4 today.

Only thing I really remember about season 1 besides the pilot and DS9 was that I got so disappointed when Neelix didn't die after his organs were stolen

4. donners22

The Borg Cube box set? That's what I got for Christmas. I'm almost done with season 2 now, and have committed to reviewing each one. It may be done over a rather long period at this rate...

5. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Cos smearing gel on a woman is suuuuch an alien and "unknown" concept...

:p

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Define gel.

7. Candlelight

Gel: Something that will make Jolene Blalock look good while giving a silly sci fi explanation.

8. Guy Gardener

Personally to use that technology with the decongel to any serious extent... it should be full body submergence for an hour or two.

because really, how is a spnge bath better than a bath or a shower?

Although I do suppose that that room is illuminating the crew in all sorts of radiation and stuff to burn off infection which the...

I recall B'Elanna had gel on her in Juggernaut because of the radiation problems with the Malon Freighter. And did the Doctor invent an antiborg gel or cream at some point during the 6th seaosn when they all got assimilated.

9. Candlelight

He invented anti-lizard cream in 'Threshold'.

10. Guy Gardener

It didn't work very well.

Trip could have used that from when that Zirillian gal knocked him up.

11. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Guy, ya know there's a forum for discussin' ENT just a mouse scroll further down.

12. Guy Gardener

Just discussing lizards. Any reference to Enterprise is like an unintentional leaky discharge which might end up on your shirt while changing the oil pan in ones car.

13. misskim86

misskim86 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah I got the Borg cube too :)

14. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

Season one was weak ... the characters were new so that hurts every first season series period. What is with the Kazons ... was someone drunk when they came up with the characters.

15. Guy Gardener

They were Biller's allegory for the Gang problems gripping California at the time.

16. donners22

Wouldn't regard it as "weak". There were a few standout episodes, and no outright bad ones (there's at least a few in the second season I've suffered through).

As for the Kazon, they probably weren't well-used until the second season, in episodes like Alliances.

17. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If memory serves, their order is the other way around. "Parallax" was the second episode of the show, which is why it spends its time clearing up a few loose plot threads (mainly, giving Torres the job of Chief Engineer). "Time and Again" was the third.

An interesting article; it's sobering to remember how optimistically this show - and UPN - were initially presented.

18. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

The Kazon were well-used? :confused:

They never made a lick of sense to me, how were those red-neck inbreeds maintaining and managing their ships?

19. Guy Gardener

They didn't have ships. They had city ships 10 times the size of Voyager stuffed with probably 100 times the crew and growing because they keep having babies who are raised through some sort of apprentice type system.

As for resources? The conquer and enslave low tech and weak worlds, when they're not raping each other for supplies and allegiances.

20. donners22

Quite right. I wish I'd let a few people proof-read it before sending it off to be published... :(