Star Trek: Frontier

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Kagan, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Kagan

Kagan Commodore Commodore

2. johnhazard

johnhazard Commander Red Shirt

I came across that myself recently. I was surprised how good it was, for machinima. I've always thought that someone could make a good Trek fanfilm with anything, so long as they had a good story. That had a lot of the usual clunkiness of machinima- bad sound, bad editing, awful space shots- but it's the most watchable Trek machinima I've ever seen, just because there was some real personality in there. I'd like to see more.

3. rsswope

rsswope Cadet Newbie

Hello,

I'm the person who made the Machinima Star Trek:Frontier videos featured on YouTube. Thank you for the positive comments. I sort of gave up on the series because they took so much of my time to make and they never turned up the way I wanted. I am a writer and I had to cut the script down to a bare minimum just to be able to produce the features within a workable timeline. I discarded the majority of the Captains back story which related his relationship with the Klingon Empire just because it would have so long to produce. I did all the work myself on our home computer (using The Movies! game along with Moding and old fashion stop motion animation) and had my wife, son and a friend help out with the voices and it was very frustrating when after a lot of work he video or sound distorted at the last minute. I may pick it up again to finish the episode "A Matter of Time" which is intended to be a whimsical episode along the lines of "A Piece of the Action" and "The Trouble with Tribbles". Right now I'm working on a novel and trying to market some of my other books and short stories so it would be a while. Thanks again for all the positive feedback.

4. Kagan

Kagan Commodore Commodore

rsswope, I was impressed. I could tell that you had to cut part of the story. HOWEVER, I was impressed with: 1) the spirit of TOS, 2) placing a character in a dilemma (very Trek-like), and 3) having known enemies (Federation-Klingons) work toward a common goal.

When you make enough posts to exchange PMs, I'd like to discuss steps in the publishing process of writing.

5. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

Welcome to the board rsswope! I hope you enjoy your time here with us. :)