Photo of Nichelle with MLK?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Darwin, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darwin

Darwin Cadet Newbie

Hi everybody,

I'm a director/editor and I recently shot a new PSA for the ACLU featuring Ms. Nichols. She recalls her interaction with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. when he asked her to stay on Star Trek rather than quit. We have archival photos of MLK to use in the spot, but would very much like a photo of her and MLK together -- if such a photo exists. Does anyone know? If there is a photo of the two of them together, where would we find it? We're editing the spot now and would like to know soon.

Much thanks,

John K.
    Weirdsmobile Prods.
    Los Angeles

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Somewhere on this site there was a thread that related to Ms. Nichols varying and contradictory versions of the story told over the years. I can't find it with the search feature.

Anyone?

3. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

She never really met MLK.

4. Darwin

Darwin Cadet Newbie

Sorry I beg to differ. She met him at a fundraiser and he told her she was playing one of the only non-sterotype roles of a black woman on television, and that she should stick it out.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Sure, but Nichelle's earliest recollections of that first meeting, according to many fans who heard her talk at cons in the 70s, was that it was a phone call. Hence if she did later meet King face-to-face at a NAACP fundraiser ("Beyond Uhura", pp 163-164), when did the discussion about sticking with ST occur?

If a photo existed, Nichelle would have ensured it made it into "Beyond Uhura", her autobiography.

6. Matt

Matt Commodore Commodore

7. Darwin

Darwin Cadet Newbie

The exact when's and where's of their exact exchange is irrelevant to my request. I'd just like to know if anyone has ever seen such a photo. Ms. Nichols thought there was one but did not have a copy in her possession; since the whole point of fundraisers is to get some publicity for donating money a photographer is usually present. I'd like to believe someone took a photo of the two of them together...

8. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

If there is one... none of us have ever seen it.

There have been numerous topics on exactly this subject. If a bunch of us fanatics who hang out on this board for years reading everything were unable to locate said photo, I doubt that your people can.

If you do however manage to track it, will you please share it here? It will put to rest the general belief that such a meeting never occurred.

9. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If memory serves, Nichols first had it as a hypothetical:

She thought of dropping out of the show after the first season, and then considered: What would MLK do? So she stuck around.

Stage two, she's thinking of dropping out, and she gets a phone-call from MLK, who remins her of what a positive role-model she is. She decides to stick around.

Stage three, she meets him in person. And you get the idea.

Maybe she met him then, maybe she really did meet him later. But I'd have doubts, just like I have doubts about Fritz Lang's reputed meeting with Joseph Goebbels. Just because Lang or Nichols repeat a story a lot doesn't necessarily mean it is true. :)

10. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^That's my recollection as well. I recall in the early 70s either reading or seeing her at Shore Leave recount the "What would MLK do?" version, and being a bit surprised later when I read that she had actually met with the man.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really think we need Samuel T. Cogley to weigh in on this. His account of her recollection of the meeting is, uh, particularly vivid. ;)

12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I'm inclined to agree.

13. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

Cadet Darwin,
    Being the projects director I find it odd that you seem unconcerned on wheather this meeting actually took place.
    You have heard the contradictory accounts. Do you hold no alligence to the truth.

14. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's directing a PSA which happens to feature her, not doing investigative journalism.

16. An Officer

What is a PSA, if I may ask?

17. GodThingFormerly

GodThingFormerly A Different Kind of Asshole

An "American" in Friedrichshafen, Deutschland
    "Public Service Announcement." :)

TGT

18. An Officer

Ah. Thank you, The God Thing. :)

19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Personally, I'd like to see this put to rest or at least laid bare. If she did meet him, great; historic. If she didn't, shame on her for creating this fantasy.

Does anyone have links to any older interviews where she tells a different version of the story.

20. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

I just got another cease and decist in the mail. The odd thing is, it's signed by Martin Luther King, Jr. And in the post script, he begs me not to leave Star Trek. The handwriting is very feminine, and included in the envelope was a discount coupon for season one of "Heroes" on DVD.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.