Avengers vs. The X-men Marvel's 2012 event *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Whofan, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

http://marvel.com/news/story/17810/avengers_vs_x-men

The crossover will deal with the Pheonix force (Not sure if we'll see Jean come back or not) and also reportedly the recently redeemed Scarlet Witch (Who has a history with both teams).

Of course this isn't the first time the team have crossed over. Apart from Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver who at that point were X-men villains joining the team early on, Beast joining the team for a while and Rogue's complex history with Ms. Marvel (Who herself was an X-men supporting character for many years). There also was a miniseries where the two fought over Magneto joining the team in the 80s, problems during the Secret Wars, Onslaught , Bloodlines and of course the House of M.

Of course the major reason for this is probably to promote the Avengers film :)

2. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't forget the Dark Avengers went at it with the X-Men.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm excited. I don't know if this means Jean will return or not...Marvel has reportedly had plans to bring her back as far back as when they first introduced Hope Summers. They're quite aware there are a ton of fans who want to see her back. I personally think that the Phoenix entity will choose either Hope...which as far back as Second Coming had been teased with the Phoenix, or Idie Logan's new protege. I don't know why I feel this way but I do. Rachel Grey as well has had Phoenix moments over the last couple of years...it is curious that the entity was shown as white in Point One and not it's traditional orange/fire because Jeannie was in the White Hot Room at the end of Greg Pax's End Song and regenerating. It seemed to be at peace with using Jean as the host...I guess this has changed. I can't wait for this.

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Ridiculous.

X-Men are just too overpowered right now to make this a fair fight.

So naturally all the mutants are going to operating with one brain cell each.

5. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Someone on a comics forum said something along the lines of "it's the wrong decade to do this and have the X-Men look good". Which it is. Marvel are in the middle of making the Avengers their premier team and franchise, so they shall come out of the event the "stronger". If this was done in the eighties, it'd be the other way around.

Nothing inherently wrong with any of that, but as an X-Men fan and not so much an Avengers fan, I wait for the day when the next EiC comes in and wants the X-Men back.

6. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah honestly it just feels too much like a forced situation (I guess they're all forced situations) but even more so because of the upcoming Avengers movie. On the one hand, I like that the Avengers give a flying crap about what happens with the X-Men, on the other it sounds like Cap going all Jingo on Scott's team and just acting like a complete utter jackass, but being somehow "justified" with it. I know he's "in charge of the security of the free world" but I think ever since his return and his placement in the MU as a whole, he's become quite a bit more I won't even say arrogant, but I will, but more hawkish. It's nice to see that a lot of things many fans didn't agree with, Cap is calling their bullshit on - but he's been far too angry. It's almost like he's USAgent all of a sudden.

I sort of miss the slightly more naive and friendly Steve Rogers of old. I seriously believe Marvel needs to sort of... go back to the way it was. With a Nick Fury type in charge of SHIELD and all the dirty tricks it entails. Cap to lead the Avengers and not be the World's Top Cop. He's a soldier. Even the whole "Commander Rogers" thing was sort of... off. I'm glad he's Cap again... but I think after everything he's done and been through... man should at least be called Colonel America or something by now!

Of course after reading some of the latest stuff in the Marvel Digital Unlimited - and the shit fit he threw after finally finding about the "Illuminati" which was a secret group made up of Namor, Tony Stark, Reed Richards, Black Bolt, Professor X and Dr. Strange and basically all but wanting to throw the whole lot of 'em in prison for "daring" to keep the existance of their group a secret. I suppose really... he's got quite a bit in for anyone in Namor and Professor X's camp - even if Scott's doing his own thing - but if it involves some "Galactic level threat" - he's going to want the Avengers to weigh in - regardless how it turns out.

Why does it feel like we need a Chris Crocker like thing with like Scott under a bed sheet going "LEAVE THE PHOENIX ALONE! She didn't do anything... this time around!"

7. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

by chance anyone know which current roster of each team we're dealing with here?

8. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

X-Men
    Magneto
    Cyclops
    Emma Frost
    Colossus with Juggernaut powers
    Storm
    Hope
    Magik
    Danger

Avengers
    Vision
    Iron Man
    Cap
    Red Hulk
    Hawkeye
    Spider-Woman
    Quake
    Protector (the new Captain Marvel)

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

While I'm still following the Avengers, I gave up on the X-Men about a decade ago. So I'm not that interested in this.

10. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not even in a "let's take a moment to see what the X-Men are up to these days, while still rooting for the team I'm interested in" kind of way?

It's the reason I picked up the World War Hulk: X-Men issues, I hadn't read a book with the X-Men in it in forever, and I loved those issues! Sadly, it was better than the main even itself. But it was still fun to "catch up" with them, so to speak.

I'm excited for this event!

11. Nerys Myk

Bits and pieces I've seen of the X-Men's current status do nothing to raise my interest.

12. Admiral_Young

Storm is also an Avenger right now. We also don't know how the New Avengers or Secret Avengers will factor into this or with The Jean Grey School or the other X teams.

13. Nerys Myk

Maybe Storm, the Beast and Wolverine can form the X-vengers. Did Quicksilver ever join the X-Men? If so, toss him in as well. ;)

14. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Pffft...the battle between the two teams will be over once Batman enters the scene and defeats them both.

Assuming he has enough time to prepare.

15. Admiral_Young

Bruce is too busy preparing for and trying to figure out who the heck Leviathan is to worry about taking out Avengers or X-Men :)

16. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't he like Wolverine and can easily appear in 15456468404 books at once?

Anyway, will this crossover ignore The Last Stand?

17. Admiral_Young

I think everything ignores the Last Stand and I think Logan is in more books than Bruce...maybe Deadpool beats them both.

I guess the other thing making the rounds is the continued speculation fan rambling that Marvel could be using this as a means to relaunch like DC...which i personally do not believe is going to happen and that Tom Brevoort has stated won't happen.

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/2011/12/could-marvels-2012-event-end-up-being.html

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  18. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Maybe they'll turn some X-Men characters into full tie Avengers to get around Fox owning the cinematic rights to all their mutant characters?

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

No lawyer in their right mind would have signed off on a licensing agreement that didn't spell out which characters Fox had the movie rights to.

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not to mention being on two Justice Leagues and being the only adult hero (so far) on the main one.