Fan Made movie

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Nick_B, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Nick_B

Nick_B Ensign Red Shirt

Hello all,

I have been working with a mate and we have created a fan made movie.

Its not meant to be one of those stupidly serious movies that you see on youtube. Its a bit of fun.

Please have a look see and tell me what you think.

The Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC4frXQ6_pE&feature=related

The movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-sZEep2PuA&feature=related

i look forward to your comments.

Remember, this is meant to be a bit of fun and a homage to all the generations of Star Trek!

Thank you

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I sort of had the impression from your post that it would be funny in some way. It's simply the usual assemblage of solemn close-ups juxtaposed with CG. The editing is good, though. Who did the CG?

3. Nick_B

Nick_B Ensign Red Shirt

Have you watched the whole movie or just the trailer?

I did the CGI,

it is my 1st attempt at it, so its not that good.

I am practising using the CGI software and watching loads of tutorials so the next movie should be a lot better.

Thanks for taking a look at the vid!

Nick_B

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I think the CG is pretty good for a first attempt.

I've just watched the trailer.

5. Nick_B

Nick_B Ensign Red Shirt

Thank you, I personally think I rushed the cgi a bit.
    All the filming had been done before I got involved, I work with Luke and said that I might be able to do some cgi for the movie. I quickly got everything I needed and learned the basics.
    The next movie is going to be co written and sets built. The cgi will be an integral part of the film.

Please check out the movie, the trailer is just a small snap shot of the film.

Thank you for your comment on the cgi, when people appreciate my work it really pushes me to do better!!

Thank you

6. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Thanks for showing us your film!

7. Nick_B

Nick_B Ensign Red Shirt

No problem,

I really appreciate you taking the time to watch it!

I've been looking at the posts about the starship Ajax, I would love to be able to build a set like that!

Awsome!

Thanks again guys

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

First, let me say I applaud your efforts making this. Making any sort of film, start to finish, is a lot of work. Is this a first film?

I don't know if you're looking for actual creative criticism, so I'll hold that back until I'm sure you actually want to hear it. :)

9. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love the Vegan with a Rotheram accent

10. Nick_B

Nick_B Ensign Red Shirt

Hi Maurice, thank you! It was a lot of work making the film
    But 99% of all the effort was put in by Luke from Luke s film. I just did the cgi, (which was a fairly big job in itself). This is the 1st film, please don't hold back with any comments it's great to get any kind of feedback good or bad.
    Myself and Luke will be working a lot closer together for the next film and we are now aware of the potential possibilities of the cgi.

Oh and solarbaby, we are all from Huddersfield in west Yorkshire about 50 miles from Rotheram! Not a bad guess though! Lol

Im looking forward to your comments on the film and the trailers.

Thank you

Nick_b

11. Maurice

Nick:

It's good that you're open to constructive criticism. A lot of beginners, and even many "pros" are defensive.

The biggest problems I see with the film are with the sound. Sound trumps picture, and even good video seems terrible if the sound is bad. I strongly suggest recording "second sound" to a separate recording device and use boom mics. Having good sound will make your film 3x as watchable. Bad sound will have the inverse effect.

If Luke S ("Lucas", oy) is open to suggestion, you might point him to the Fan Filmmaker's Primer thread here (link), in which I and others have posted techniques and suggestions for budding filmmakers. There's stuff on lighting, audio, and basic cinematography (including one of the most basic cinematography must-knows: The Line (link)).

There's also a shorter Fan Film Writer's Primer topic.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  12. Nick_B

Nick_B Ensign Red Shirt

Hi Maurice,

Of course we're open to constructive criticism! and we really appreciate any assistance
    from anyone.

We are aware of the sound issues, but at the time of filming we had limited funds and
    equipment. Hopefully we'll be able to resove a lot of the sound issues in the 2nd film.

And yes, Luke S Film is meant to be a parody of Lucas film. The main man writer/director/actor
    is called Luke Sykes hence the Luke S Film.

We will have a look at the link you posted and hopefully we'll be able to use the tips
    and advice on there!

We really appreciate your help and comments.

Thank you

Nick_B

13. Nick_B

Nick_B Ensign Red Shirt

Hello,

I have had a read of your film makers primer thread.
    There are some absolutely brilliant tips and tricks and we will definitely be using a lot of them. We are planning on recording the sound on 2 separate laptops with separate mics positioned on boom mics.

And we are going to put a lot of focus on lighting!

thank you

14. Nick_B

Nick_B Ensign Red Shirt

We have also created a blog, (mainly because I dont know how to build and maintain a website)

http://stellartrek.blogspot.com/

Have a look if you get chance

Thank you

15. Maurice

You're welcome. I started the thread as a way for fan filmmakers to learn from each other's successes and mistakes.

As to the thread, I need to add more to it and get into things like maintaining directional continuity in traveling sequences, more about framing relative to the distance of the shot, "dominance" in composition, etc., etc.

16. Nick_B

Nick_B Ensign Red Shirt

Absolutely fantastic!!

Thank you

I'll keep you all updated with the progress of the next film.

have a look at the blog if you get chance
    http://stellartrek.blogspot.com/

17. Nick_B

Nick_B Ensign Red Shirt