Quote John 3:16 to get oil change discount

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

What a lot of crap... no offence.

I would go there, quote it, so the discount would be mine, and then say it's all a bunch of Bronze Age crap, and if he doesn't give me the discount, I would call that attorney general back.
    That's just me.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Technically it's Iron Age (or, more specifically, the Classical Period). The Bronze Age is usually seen to end by the Neo-Assyrian Empire.

3. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

John 3:16

For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him might not perish but might have eternal life.

In case anyone wants to know.

4. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

There's a difference in my mind between the government or other monopoly doing something like this as a requirement to use its services (MAJOR no-no) and a private business that has plenty of competition. In the latter case, I think the free market can send a message as to what will and won't be supported. It would not surprise me, for instance, if one of this guy's rivals came up with a deal to undercut him.

I do not have a problem with the public display of faith or the incorporation of faith into a business such as how Hobby Lobby or Chick-fil-a (sp?) do it. Both of those businesses do so, and demonstrate a nice attitude. As such, they are businesses I will gladly patronize.

Listening to the interview, I do not like that guy's attitude; he's belligerent, and that's a bigger turn-off to me than anything. That's not someone I would want to do business with. I do not believe that sharing my faith with others requires such snottiness. I find it incompatible with that.

5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Meh. For Halloween one year, while also giving out regular candy, I gave out HUGE candy bars if any child in the group could quote John 3:16.

6. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

What do you get if you can quote the King James Bible version or even the original Greek?

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ Θεὸς τὸν κόσμον, ὥστε τὸν Υἱὸν τὸν μονογενῆ ἔδωκεν, ἵνα πᾶς ὁ πιστεύων εἰς Αὐτὸν μὴ ἀπόληται ἀλλ᾽ ἔχῃ ζωὴν αἰώνιον.

...and yes, I did cheat and look these up on the Internet.

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a good idea. This year I'm going to make 'em quote AJ 1:4

"Don't use your fancy mathematics to muddy the issue!"

8. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Probably depends on how you pronounce the squiggly parts.

Ha! Good idea! :lol:
    I might ask if anyone's a brony and give them boxes of Peeps or something. :D

9. Asbo Zaprudder

AJ = Alidar Jarok?

I'd like to read the gospel according to him. ;)

10. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Applejack. ;)

11. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

He's a creepy guy, but he's got the same rights as everyone else.

12. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

WIN.

13. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I don't really see the problem with this. It's certainly obnoxious and if a store tried lecturing me about the bible I would think "what a dick" and not come back, but it's his business.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The guy certainly has a right to run his business anyway he wants, but he doesn't have to act like such an asshole about it.

And maybe it's just where and how I get my oil changes done but $47 strikes me as terribly high for one.

15. NCC1701

NCC1701 Commodore Commodore

I get a huge discount off my car's oil changes by doing them myself, as any man with a pair of testicles, or any female with a pair of ovaries, should be doing anyway.

16. Alidar Jarok

While I certainly don't decline nouns like the King James Bible does, I'm used to the verse including the word "begotten," so I probably would come close to using that version as well. I think you should get bonus points for Latin, Greek, or Aramaic, but the guy probably wouldn't know what gibberish you're speaking.

Me: Ekna gir ahb Alea lolma, aikna dlbre ihidia ntl, dkl mn dmeimn be, la nabd, ala neuun le hia dlolm.

Him: What are you speaking, Arabic?

17. Asbo Zaprudder

18. Alidar Jarok

Well, that's where I found it.

19. Judy Waxhorn

Judy Waxhorn Lieutenant

OP: There are plenty of non-faith-based discount oil-change centers for you to choose from.

Let the Faithful have their well-lubed moment in the Son. If it offends you that bad, just ignore 'em... No need to go on the attack because your beliefs are different.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This sounds sooooo wrong! :lol: