The movie on TV

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Therin of Andor, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

In Australia, JJ Abram's "Star Trek" premiered here a few weeks ago. It's been a looooong time since any TV station has been terribly excited about a TV premiere of a theatrical movie - the era of reality shows has totally changed Sunday night viewing in the last decade.

In the long-disused "Sunday Night at the Movies" slot at 8.30pm, in direct opposition to the current load of huge reality TV finales and special episodes, "Star Trek" debuted after a bizarre advertising campaign:

"Who would have thought that Captain Kirk's worst enemy would be... an Aussie? Eric Bana stars in 'Star Trek'!"

I'm not sure how it went, ratings wise - one of the reality finales was tipped to score well - but it was a night when every station was going at it aggressively for the points.

2. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not yet appeared on British freeview television. On any of the big 5 stations. I'll be watching to see how it's handled keenly too. Maybe the BBC or one of the commerical stations are holding it back for the Christmas line-up. Maybe it'll spark some reruns of one of the older Trek shows.

Feels like an eternity since ENT died a death among T4's Sunday afternoon programming. I don't have subscription satellite or cable. I've had no need since first run Star Trek on SKY ended in 2006.

CBS Action runs TOS-R and is currently in the second season of TNG, and that is free-to-air satellite.

One of the channels broadcasting ENT in HD, might give me some incentive to upgrade, so I can see it in better quality than DVD. Some of early seasons look pretty grotty these days and there's still no sign of the show on Blu ray.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  3. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heck, I'd watch that. He's already fought a Mexican, a Canadian, a Brit, and God :)

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I don't think it's been on any TV channel here in the U.S.

If it is, I figure TNT or TBS maybe? Or would CBS keep the premiere rights for that?

5. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

How is Nero Kirk's worst enemy? Kirk whupped his ass. Now, Spock, yes. Nero was easily Spock's worst nightmare.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well Christmas and New year is like when you say they generally hold back the big films for, don't think it's quite a Christmas day film but perhaps Boxing Day. Not that I'm bothered either way have it on blu-ray

7. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, don't shoot the messenger (in this case, it's Therin). Rather, send a letter to the Aussie TV station :)

(That's right, Eric Bana > God. At least, according to the TV station. Your mileage may vary ;) )

8. spooky spice

spooky spice Commander Red Shirt

It's due on RTÉ "this coming season"

9. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

FX snatched up the US broadcast rights for Star Trek XI within mere days of its theatrical release. It's expected to air there during the 2011 Holiday season.

10. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh that's right. I neglected to pay attention to the fact that this is an Australian teevee station :lol: