August Challenge - Captain Robert April

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Captain Robert April, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's the planned but never completed post-WNMHGB phaser rifle...

[​IMG]

2. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

I really want to be polite here, but that just looks silly to me.

3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Okay, but not much sillier than the "ray gun with radar dish" that ended up being used.

4. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Maybe, but a least that looked like it should be what it was, and like it was all one piece.

5. Tan Ru

Tan Ru Captain Captain

Compared to the TNG's uninspired "blocks of wood" carbine phaser, this is a Da Vinci work-of-art.

I like it. :techman:

6. Captain Robert April

This is based on the announced design intent for the later phaser rifle, as well as taking hints from Matt Jefferies original design sketch (there's a notation for a small notch at the back for the attachment of "unit #4", presumably the rifle stock) and taking the approach that they did on the show, i.e., reuse as much as possible and keep it cheap.

So, since the premise is supposed to be something that the Phaser II would snap into and increase both power and range, it makes sense that a part of the design would incorporate additional power packs and a beefier emitter.

I've shown this to Bjo Trimble and Mike Okuda, and both said that this is probably spot-on to what Jefferies would've cooked up. I think it also helps that it's reminiscent of the Special U.N.C.L.E. gun, especially if you stick another power pack to the pistol grip, which would've been a definite plus for merchandising.

7. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

Ya know- my first thought was: WTF? But I looked at it longer. I've always been sure that there was a lot of modular type technology in Starfleet. It makes sense for ease of use.

In this case- the added power packs needed for range and strength. The longer emitter for focusing that extra power.

It's already a 2 part PHASER. Why not all or at least some that have this modular capability?

As for the size, I like it being still smallish to reflect the technology.

Anyway- I like it.

8. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

Since it's related, this is what I came up with back in 2004.

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

^ it's odd- I don't like it. I get the idea behind it, and the styling is consistent with the pistol...

It would probably grow on me. I do like the simplicity of it.

I wouldn't say that it's in any way similar to CRA's though. His is a modular device, while yours is a stand alone unit. Nothing wrong with either ideas.

10. Captain Robert April

I'm also thinking this could be fairly easily accomplished with a couple of add-ons to whatever phaser replica you have on hand.

11. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

only similar in that we're talking about phaser rifles never seen. :)

just a regular phaser mesh I pushed and pulled vertices on.

I don't care for the way the front stock turned out though.
    But I had a difficult time figuring a way to make it look better.

I'm digging your concept cpt april

12. Captain Robert April

I will admit I'm not totally satisfied with the butt, but it'll work for now.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Both Versions of a TOS Phaser Rifle Mark 2 here look awesome to me :) :techman:

14. Captain Robert April

Am I the only one who's come up with something for this month's contest?

15. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sketching out an idea, but it is taking much longer than I would like. I hope to have it posted soon. I just need to finish it enough that I feel confident that it will convey my idea, so that I can get opinions, use what ever advice I can get, and hopefully finish it in Illlustrator.

16. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Still plenty of days left in the month! :p;)

17. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Here's a very quick and dirty sketch of an idea I had for a TOS Phaser III.

[​IMG]

The stock and "barrel" would slide apart at the frame member there and then, once phaser II is inserted into the stock the barrel is slid into place, locking over the emitter nozzle of the pistol unit.

The stock would contain a bigger power supply then just the handle pack and the barrel would allow a much greater range and higher power settings.

I hope I don't derail CRA's thread. I don't intend to finish this off enough for an entry this month. I just thought I'd throw out my idea and see what people think.

--Alex

18. Captain Robert April

Looks similar to some of the ideas I'd played around with for a few years.

Then I started thinking about what was most likely to show up on the show, and I hit on the idea of using stuff they already had on hand, like the phaser power packs. Just cannibalize a couple of broken phasers, stick the emitter on a tube, get the butt stock from an U.N.C.L.E. gun from the local toy store, and voila, new prop.

19. Captain Robert April

Here's where we really start treading on Napoleon Solo's territory...

[​IMG]

Maybe really up the ante by sticking one of those old gooseneck viewers on top as a sighting device...

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

awesome Phaser Rifle :) :techman:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.