Re-reading SCE/COE

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Zman1, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Zman1

Zman1 Captain Captain

I'm amazed at the quality of these stories, thanks to the authors, editors, and publishers who made them happen. (Who should make them continue to happen if only as cameos but i'd prefer a novel or several)

An odd question though reading through #12 so far I keep imagining what characters sound like, Soloman sounds like Thor from SG1... and Gold like a combination of Saul Rubinek, Judd Hirsch, and James Earl Jones... anyone else do this?

2. Cybersnark

Cybersnark Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, there are SCE members scattered throughout the casting thread, if you go looking for them (they tend to be scattered every few pages).

Some of my personal picks:

The late Roy Scheider as Captain Gold (for that dry, grandfatherly sarcasm), Katee Sackhoff as Domenica Corsi, Kenneth Mitchell (from Jericho) as Bart Faulwell, Lani Tupu voicing Soloman (with his "Pilot" voice from Farscape), a younger (SeaQuest-era) Don Franklin as Vance Hawkins, and Sasha Roiz (in full Caprica mode) as Makk Vinx.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  3. T'Ressa Dax

T'Ressa Dax Captain Captain

Now that you mention it, I'm going to have to agree on Roy Schneider and Don Franklin having thought about it.

4. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I'd have to go with Leslie Nielson as Captain Gold.

5. Zman1

Zman1 Captain Captain

To paraphrase South Park "you bastards! you killed Duffy!" Even with fore knowledge having read it before it still has an impact. I'd like a way to bring him back but it dosen't work like that... dead is dead, having the cold body on the deck kinda hurts the options of bringing him back ya know.

Anyone know what Captain Gomez is up to with the DaVinci in the current post borg war timeline?

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

seeking out new tech, unearthing ancient tech and boldly repairing what needs repairing.

7. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Which is exactly why I made certain that scene was in the book. First rule of SF/F death — if there's no body, someone will always claim, "Maybe s/he isn't really dead!" So, for Wildfire, I put Duffy's cold, dead corpse on the deck for everyone to see. Just so y'all would know I meant for it to stick. :evil: :)

8. JWolf

If I am not mistaken, I think he's retired

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The question was about Gomez, not Gold.

10. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

She's still roaming around on oddjob missions in da Vinci, as captcalhoun said. She shows up briefly in Indistinguishable From Magic, doing Geordi a favour or two.

Tev seems to be with her, and Corsi was still there in A Singular Destiny, though Fabian Stevens is now on another Corps of Engineers ship,and as mentioned Gold retired after the Supercube Crisis (though I think he was with the others on Koa for the admission that December). The others, we don't know yet.

11. JWolf

My bad. I misread.

12. Zman1

Zman1 Captain Captain

Yea, I remembered something about Captain Gold retiring. The cameo in Indistinguishable From Magic really left me wanting more SCE/COE. That and the BBJ'ers made me think of Duffy. I mean Duffy saved a species with his death, Janeway even with Q warning her still ends up as the proverbial cat.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have you read A Singular Destiny yet? The Da Vinci crew has a few scenes in it.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

"We're very sorry to bother you at a time like this. We would have come earlier, but your starship wasn't dead then."

15. Zman1

Zman1 Captain Captain

Yes, but that seems to be the problem a few scenes here and there but no full stories. I wouldn't mind a Destiny story now either though.

unrelated... Tev is a pig! his attitude just isn't kosher. just had to say it but :rofl:

16. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

I wish POcket would get the rest of the SCE books in print. Not to mention Slings and Arrows.

17. JWolf

I'd rather have a new set of SCE/CoE stories then the current ones reprinted.

18. Zman1

Zman1 Captain Captain

ooh slings n arrows in deadtree would be nice. :techman:

19. Zman1

Zman1 Captain Captain

cant we have both?

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would be nice. But at least it being gone will give those of us who have recently started a chance to get caught up just in case it does come back some day.