Announcing: Deep Space Nine Season 10!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by DS9Continuing, Jun 20, 2011.

1. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hi all

This is my first Fan Fic project, and it's a pretty massive one, so I hope you'll indulge me, and I hope you enjoy!

Some of you may know, I have previously made a project out of adapting all the existing DS9 relaunch novels into screenplays, as if they were seasons 8 and 9 of the show. 26 episodes from Avatar to Unity (season 8), and 24 episodes from Unjoined to The Soul Key (season 9).

Now that the DS9-R seems to have fizzled out and people are wanting to know what happened between The Soul Key and Rough Beasts of Empire, I decided to come up with my own stories to fill the gap. Another whole 22 episodes, hence "season 10." The stories are written in screenplay form, as if they really were TV show scripts, each episode approx 60 pages. So it's a big investment, both by me as a writer and by you as a reader. Also, since it's so big, it's impractical to post the entire text onto the board, so I've formatted each episode as a PDF to download and store if you want.

During these 22 episodes, I plan on answering many of the questions TrekLit readers in general, and DS9-R readers in particular, have had ever since The Soul Key. Answers to what happened with the Dominion, the Ascendants, Dax's transfer, and lots more. Timeline-wise, episode one picks up right after the last page of The Soul Key, and by season end, we will be up to the beginning of TNG's A Time to... series.

The first six episodes are written, and I am now ready to begin uploading for everyone to read. I really want to generate discussion with this, as if they really were new episodes of the show. I'm hoping to get TrekLit board folks over here to join in too.

Download episode 10x01 "Emancipation" right here: 10x01 "Emancipation"

Enjoy!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

Count me in on this one.

3. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm interested too. No telling when Pocket will give us a couple of books to explain the big gap we have between those novels.

4. DS9Continuing

Thanks for the interest, guys. The first ep is right there for you now, and I was planning on uploading a new one per month. Have to give myself time to write the rest of them!

5. Smalley

Smalley Cadet Newbie

I tried to find them but couldn't'; lv, could you give me links to the previous fanfiction DS9 seasons?

6. DS9Continuing

Sorry, I hadn't uploaded the scripts for season 8 and 9, since I felt that would be rude to the original authors of the novels upon which they were based. It would effectively be giving away their books for free, and I didn't feel comfortable doing that. I did them mostly for my own entertainment and to learn the craft.

Since I'm now doing purely my own ideas (albeit based on what I strongly suspect some of the authors' and editors' plans might have been), I'm now free to upload.

Unless some author gives me leave to make the earlier scripts available, or someone can convince me it's alright to do so, I'd rather not do that just yet.

7. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    Any chances for an epub format? Reading from a computer screen is not that great and reading a pdf from eReader is even worse (tiny font).

8. DS9Continuing

To which my only response is "Buh?"

Since I have no idea what that even is, I'm going to have to say no. Unless it's something really simple that you can talk me through, then I'd be happy to.

9. Gul Re'jal

10. DS9Continuing

So... has anybody actually read it yet?

:whistle:

11. Gul Re'jal

I started today and I'm on page 45. As someone used to stories with traditional narration, the format feels a bit strange to me, but maybe I'll get used to it.

As for the plot, still not many things revealed, but it got me interested :)

12. DS9Continuing

It's kind of a slow start, I know. My plan was more to tie up some of the loose ends from the previous "season finale" (The Soul Key, part 2, aka 9x24 "Ha'mara"), plant a few seeds now and watch them grow over the course of the season. Things definitely get bigger in later episodes.

Sorry if I'm being antsy, just I want to know what people think!

13. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just downloaded it and started to read it alittle. Will check read more later but its good so far. Feels like a novel and an episode together.

14. Gul Re'jal

I finished episode 1 and I'm looking forward to more, especially since you left some cliffhangers ;)

15. DS9Continuing

Thanks! Any specific comments? I just kind of want to know what people liked and didn't like, and if there's anything I need to work on.

And how often do you want new installments? Is one a month about right? Bearing in mind I've only got six written so far...

16. Gul Re'jal

It was more like a character development episode. Showing who stands where and preparing ground for new plots.

The characters seemed consistent and as they should be, no one felt out-of-character. What I miss is their seeing thoughts, something that is shown in a story-like narration, but since we can't really see what characters think on the screen either, lack of that detail makes sense in a script. Like I said, the format takes some time to get used to, but as I read I was forgetting about the format and concentrating on the plot.

It really depends on you. The story reads fast and if I had more time, I'd read it within two-three hours. Now, when I should have a bit more time, I can read some more.

So whenever you post next episodes, I am ready ;) I don't know about the others, tough.

I'm especially curious about Taran'atar's reaction to the Founders' decision to abandon everything and leave :)

Oh, which reminded me. I think it would make more sense if Glessin were furious about Jem'Hadar slaughter of Cardassia Prime and Lakarian City than the Obsidian Order fleet. Not only this was more recent, but also way worse. Before he explained I was sure that was the reason of his hatred.

17. DS9Continuing

re Glessin, I was going for it being a bit of everything. He mentioned Neane and Coamis, then the OO fleet, then "a billion Cardassians" which I intended refer to the final assault on Cardassia Prime.

We knew of course that Taran'atar would go aboard the Even Odds from the end of The Soul Key. But it was only when I realised that there was already a Cardassian established who was a survivr of a Jem'Hadar attack that I realised "Ah-ha! There's my story." That was also what happening right at the beginning, when Brad describes him as "curled up in a ball, talking to himself" - he was remembering the original attack on the OO fleet.

18. Gul Re'jal

I disliked the last two DS9 books with mirror universe, so I deleted most of content from my memory ;) Especially tiny details ;)

19. Enterprise1981

Enterprise1981 Vice Admiral Admiral

I finished "Emancipation" in one sitting. It made for quite an interesting rehash of events in DS9-R, and I look forward to seeing how the effects of the Changeling "mass-suicide" from Olympus Descending continues to play out.

Are earlier ones like this available anywhere?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  20. DS9Continuing

Well, as I say, the earlier ones are just adaptations of the existing novels. So if you've read those, then there's little new there. And I was afraid of pissing off the authors.

You're right that "Emancipation" is mostly a here's-where-we're-up-to episode, but I felt that "Ha'mara" (the ninth season finale) left us with so many loose ends and unanswered questions that we needed that kind of episode to set us straight. There's also the idea that any season premiere ought to make everything as clear as possible in case there are any new viewers starting there who might not have seen everything that went before. Hence the idea of the admirals all coming to talk it all out.