TMP and TWOK Fan commentaries

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by stvivona, Jun 15, 2011.

1. stvivona

stvivona Ensign Newbie

Here are links for 2 audio commentaries I participated in for Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. More will be posted in the near future. Our site, www.geekfestrants.com, features podcasts and commentaries provided by a group of guys who have been friends for 20 years, and sci-fi fans all our lives.

http://www.geekfestrants.com/2011/0...urethe-directors-edition-geek-commentary.html

http://www.geekfestrants.com/2011/0...f-khan-directors-edition-geek-commentary.html

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Nicely produced.

I realize it's commentary, but unfortunately, the TMP one is rife with incorrect information. Robert Wise did not "come up with" the uniforms (Robert Fletcher did--Wise wanted the muted colors). Scotty and Kirk in the "shuttle pod" was not "front projected" (it was rear-projected). The wormhole streaking isn't hand drawn (areas to streak were isolated via rotoscape masks and then the streaking of those elements was done in-camera.*), etc., etc.

*source Cinefex #1, March 1980

3. Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic Lieutenant Red Shirt

Gordon bennett... ease up there... it's fan commentary, so what, they got a few facts wrong, I doubt they were paid for it... and as for quibbling over who came with the uniforms... look both guys worked on it, but Robert Wise was the director, ergo what the director wants the director gets, he wanted muted he got muted... anyway most stories I heard was that he came up with them.

Everyone appreciates you're a film making guru on here, and whether no one else is brave enough to say it, I will...

Ease up, chill out, there are no medals for nit picking :cool:

4. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

5. Maurice

Neither are there rewards for not doing your homework.

6. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Afraid I'd have to agree with Maurice on that one. If you're going to produce a commentary and put it out there for people, you probably want to provide accurate information.

Your mileage may vary of course.

7. Ensign RedShirt

Ensign RedShirt Cadet Newbie

Hi guys.

Brian here, one of the guys featured in the commentary.

Thanks for the feedback-these commentaries were our maiden voyage and we're still ironing out the kinks.

As far as inaccuracies go, I'll accept the blame where it's warranted since most of them came from me. However, I don't believe I was wrong about Wise wanting that asexual jumpsuit look. As was stated above, Fletcher may have designed them, but not without input from the director.

We're going to finish off the TOS movies in the next couple of months...keep an eye out for them.

Cheers!

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

An...interesting...philosophy for a would-be filmmaker, but ridiculously patronizing of the people who put this together.

Back off.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Nicely produced. Just listening to the TWOK commentary now. Nick Meyer didn't direct The Seven Percent Solution though, as stated -- he only wrote the script based on his novel -- Herbert Ross directed that movie.

10. Maurice

^^^Exactly.

11. Ginandtonic

Back off?... My point was actually missed..!

Nit picking is a pet hate... and it's annoying when people put in alot of hard work and effort, that gets overshadowed by nit picking. No offense, but it's the reason why I gave up on Star Trek in a big way... I was a huge fan.

And don't misconstrue the point I was making with the guys behind the commentary... I was merely stating that they have put in hard work and chances are voluntarily. If there are mistakes... lighten up... I'm sure they working on ironinng them out! Those that are genuine mistakes that is.
    I stand by the commentary team on the TMP costume front, watch the Omega Syndrome to see where some of Wise's inspirartion came from for the look of the film in parts.

Sightly :wtf: but keeping :cool:

12. USS Intrepid

DS9Sega wasn't nitpicking he was pointing out factual errors in a commentary, which is a completely different kettle of fish. Whether it was done by fans for free, or a studio for profit, surely it makes sense for the people producing it to get their facts correct.

He wasn't berating them. The point was made quite politely, and he complimented them on how well produced it was. He also took the time to listen.

I think you are reading a completely different intent into DS9Sega's comments than was intended, and your response seems a bit out of proportion to me.

As far as the uniforms are concerned, Wise undoubtedly had input, but I don't think input equals 'coming up with'. Again, your mileage may vary, and it's certainly an interesting discussion point. :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  13. stvivona

stvivona Ensign Newbie

Hi Guys,

I also appreciate the comments and constructive criticism - when you put yourself out there for public dissemination you have to be prepared to take the hits, and I think we've learned that we need to be more on top of things. That said, while we're rapid Trek fans, we don't purport to be film historians. Speaking purely for myself (as the guy who made the NM blunder for the TWOK commentary) our scholarship of the films is imperfect at times based on memory. I'm not suggesting that absolves us from criticism.

I have every intention of going into future commentaries armed with serious backup if I'm going to make an assertion, but I can't promise (speaking for myself) it will never happen again. We're human. The filmmakers have already said their peace - in our own way we're trying to share why we love Trek and how it's impacted our lives and we had a blast doing it. If we screw up now and again, feel free to call us on it.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

And that is a professional attitude. :techman:

15. USS Intrepid

For what it's worth, I think the comments were intended to be helpful, rather than anything else. And I second Dennis' sentiments. :)

16. Maurice

Omega Syndrome was made in 1987.

17. Ginandtonic

Arghh... I meant Andromeda Strain...

18. Ginandtonic

What are you insinuating at?

19. USS Intrepid

Dennis doesn't insinuate, he'd never be that subtle. ;)

20. Maurice

I'll make you a preposition: "at". :D