details on Singer's Trek pitch

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Temis the Vorta, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some of it sounds cool.

Like:

Don't Like:

Klingons aren't politicians and it shouldn't be that easy for the Rommies to ever play nice.

Neutral:

2. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I'd tune in on Singer's name alone (with hopes of a Torchwood-y Trek). Oh well... :sigh:

3. Jonny

Jonny Commander Red Shirt

Don't Like:

Klingons aren't politicians and it shouldn't be that easy for the Rommies to ever play nice.

Neutral:

[/QUOTE]

Agreed about the Klingons being less warrior like and being more political I don't like the sounds of that it wouldn't be the Klingons if they were less warrior like unless there were underground rebellions to try and get Klingons back to the old ways while the official way was the new more political way ?

As for the reunification I'm neutral on that and it could lead to interesting episodes if there were some kind of resistance to it from Romulans somewhere.

As for the 30th century yeh I'm neutral on that.

I'd tune in just to see new Trek:techman:

p.s.

Do we know if it was officially pitched ?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you're going to bother to do another Trek series it's worthwhile to get the Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians and all their ilk out of the firing line from the get-go. Otherwise, just remaster and resell the reruns.

5. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Perhaps having their homeworld destroyed had something to do with that, depending on which multiiverse it is set in...

6. Temis the Vorta

Singer's pitch was made years ago, before JJ blew up Romulus and screwed the whole deal. My main objection to the Vulcan-Romulan angle is if you tame the Rommies, then what's interesting about them? How are they different from Vulcans? Maybe that's not what Singer meant, but tame Rommies...ergh. I like the bald, nasty, tattooed guys better.

I wouldn't mind more exploration of this angle in the 24th C, but the Vulcan unifiers are going to be playing with fire, and the story should be written to acknowledge that. And I can't help but think that the Vulcans & Rommies would be more interesting in the JJverse at this point...

The best part of the pitch is that it makes space exploration sound dangerous and exciting again. If Starfleet is all about exploration, why aren't they a lot further out, even with ships and colonies that are outside the range of frequent communication and Federation protection? Why aren't there generational ships leaving the Federation with some distant colony in mind, and no plans to ever return? Does no one have the guts to go boldly!?! I don't see why it would take several centuries for this to develop. It should have been true in the 24th.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

A part of me thinks these points are genius. I agree that Klingons are not politicians, and they don't need to be more warrior like. They're an honor based warrior society. Almost everything they do is based on the concept of honor. Yes this was basically introduced in TNG but nevertheless is true. I like the fact that Romulans and Vulcans have reached unification. I would love to learn more details from this.

8. Temis the Vorta

What if unification means Vulcans are more like Romulans? We can't just assume the reverse. :eek:

Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to write off the politician Klingons. We've seen machiavellian aspects of their culture, and that sometimes they talk more about honor than they deliver. That hypocritical streak is interesting. If that's what Singer means, then I can see it. Don't want to limit the Klingons so much that they become boring cliches, honor, bloodwine, blah blah blah...

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That'd be a risk of reunification, yep. The assimilation of culture and other attributes (including emotions) would be something the Vulcans out of logic would have to accept. I think this is probably why (outside of the political and ideological problems) Spock has had such a one sided battle with this.

10. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I don't see there being a problem with exploring the political aspects of Klingons. TNG already did that, and there have been quite a few novels which have expanded upon it.

There's quite a bit going on behind the honour facade, and it might be interesting to explore (or not; I'm not sure how attractive sci-fi politics are to the average viewer).

The mere fact that reunification has been completed does not suggest total unanimity, or a lack of tension...

11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I actually like the idea of Klingons as being more political. It could be a time during the Empire when the Warrior Caste is no longer in power. Rather than go about shoving disruptors and bat'leths in everybody's faces, they've might've just returned to being more sneaky and sly as they were during TOS...

12. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like that the Klingons would've been more political too. Reminds me of Gorkon and what-not in Star Trek 6.

Also Bryan Singer and trek=win

[​IMG]

Except in Nemesis, that movie sucked

13. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

Well, obviously not the whole Romulan population - nor the whole Vulcan population - would agree with unification. On the Romulan side, there could be factions which strongly disagree - guerillas, terrorists, what have you. On the Vulcan side, there'd probably be people just as opposed but using different, more political means. I think it'd be way more interesting than bald tattooed Rommie guys who run around blowing up planets because they're "mad". :rommie:

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

So the executive producer of House M.D., director of X-Men, The Usual Suspects, Valkyrie, etc..., the actor who played William Riker, and the actor who played goddamned Captain Kirk, come together to pitch a new Trek show, and it gets rejected?

Fuck CBS.

But then again, this is some rumor on Aint it Cool Lies, so I don't buy it for a second.

15. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nope, they all pitched independent ideas and different points. CBS said no multiple times. And to be honest, I'm not surprised. I'd watch this Singer pitch, and I'm sure most people here would as well, but I don't really see anything here that will attract more than the 3-6m people Enterprise got.

Until someone proves to CBS that 10+m will watch a space opera or CBS buys a cable station that will be happy with 3m, all Star Trek pitches will be DOA regardless of who did the pitching.

16. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it doesn't matter how good the proposal is or who it's by, it's going into CBS' "Shit Ain't Happening" pile regardless.
    :rofl:

17. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Couldn't a new Trek series be on The CW? Oh wait...I forgot where I am at. :rommie:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011
  18. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still think the most viable concept is the original premise: a ship named Enterprise boldly going. All the astro-political stuff is secondary.

19. Temis the Vorta

They did, it's called Showtime. It's conceivable that Showtime might see Star Trek as a great way to get more subscribers (seems like there'd be a million or so Trekkies willing to subscribe, that really isn't that large a % of the population) and a cable show doesn't need to attract 10M viewers to survive. It's the only viable possibility.

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Showtime did do Stargate for 4 years so there is precedent of good sci-fi drama surviving on that network.

I like the idea of the ship being far enough way yet still being "alone". Minus the point of transmissions taking years that element reminds me of the New Frontier concept by Peter David.

The thought of Klingons being more political isn't a problem. Afterall, as noted, in TNG and DS9 this "transition" was shown already. Then when needed, on DS9, they got their warrior mojo back. I think the emphasis being on politics for Klingons isn't a drawback but a great drama maker. Afterall, would you want to wake the sleeping beast inside them?

Romulan/Vulcan unification is an organic plot line I'm fine with as well. AFter all Trek has always used the alien species as templates for our own real world socio-political climate. East & West Germany came back together and ideally at some point so would Korea so I think a Romulan/Vulcan unification would play tribute to Gene's legacy.

What the show would need is strong new atagonists. The franchise dopped the ball with Kazons and you can't have a redo of that.