Medium Series Finale

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Witterquick, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Witterquick

Witterquick Captain Captain

The last episode just aired and it was a beautiful ending. I don't know what it is with this show but I've always loved it and the Dubois family, even though it's not the usual type of show I watch.

It's time for the show to end but I'll miss it. IMHO, Alison and Joe are one of the best TV couples of all time. If you watch this show, you'll know what I mean.

Now that the show has ended, I hope the actors will find themselves in future great scifi/fantasy series so that I could watch them again. In particular, I would love seeing Joe (Jake Weber) and Bridgette (she's adorable) again.

Anyone else who has been a fan of this show for all these years?

2. NCC1701MF

NCC1701MF Captain Captain

I'm a fan.

Did the ending remind you of the ending of the film The Ghost and Mrs. Muir?

3. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've watched the show from the beginning and enjoyed it throughout. Definitely one of the best TV families, and it's been neat watching the girls grow up over the years.

4. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had stopped watching this several seasons ago because it wasn't as good as it once was but I did watch tonite's finale to see how they wrapped it up and I have to say it was pretty "meh". I didn't like it was all just a dream. I also thought the show wasted opportunities to give the entire ensemble a chance to shine--instead we get the dream and a boring court case involving a drug dealer(yawn).

The only inventive poignant part was the flash to 41 years later and Alison passing away but that was only two minutes or so.

I won't miss the show and this rank's as yet another weak series finale in a long line in tv history.

5. Witterquick

Well at least the growing old part wasn't a dream.

Hmm. I wouldn't know. Never watched the film. Is it good?

6. OsmiumJohnnycake

OsmiumJohnnycake Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i haven't watched the finale yet but i've been onboard since day one and seen all the other episodes. the strength of the show is definitely the characters (i think the dubois family might be my favorite tv family ever). in earlier seasons they definitely seemed to focus more on the cases - lately it seems like they've almost developed a shorthand for the cases (sometimes we don't even see them resolved, we just are given enough information to know they will be). the focus is definitely on the characters and i'll certainly miss them.

7. NCC1701MF

NCC1701MF Captain Captain

It was released in 1947, a nice romance between a woman and Captain Gregg, a ghost (they never met while he was alive). As in Medium it is an immortal love. Similar to the finale of Medium, at the end of the movie we see the now old Mrs. Muir die spilling the milk she was drinking. Captain Gregg appears and we now see her young again and they walk off into eternity.
    Here's a link to a trailer http://www.matttrailer.com/the_ghost_and_mrs_muir_1947

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

im glad it ended well with the short warning it got.

9. OsmiumJohnnycake

OsmiumJohnnycake Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

okay, watched the finale and thought it was a great wrap-up, sort of unexpectedly sad/tragic followed by happy flashforward.

i didn't really take the dream which made up the bulk of the episode to be "just a dream" - the set-up with alison as d.a. and the rest of the cast and where they had gone i assume was the truth that joe saw (with the exception of the 'joe never visted' aspect and the whole derailment of the trial as alison pursues joe). it certainly isn't the first time they've revealed future truths in some that 'turned out to be a dream'

10. Witterquick

It's still really sad if I think about it, that such a great family had so little time together. Joe left too early.

11. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I found it kind of annoying, but the show has always had annoying plots now and then.

SPOILERS ahead, of course>

I didn't like that they killed Joe. And I didn't like the "it's all a dream" revelation (should have seen that coming, actually - what are the odds of Scanlan becoming Chief of Detectives? :lol: )

Liked the actress playing teenage Marie - it's nice that Alison has ONE attractive daughter. :borg:

I loved the farewell shots of all the actors at the end, especially Duvalos smashing a table-tennis ace at the camera, and Bridgette sneaking another donut.

12. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, very much so.

I agree. I was crying into Hubby's chest, and he was tearing up too. We both really liked them as a couple. And all I could think of was my Mom saying a few hours earlier how much she misses Dad and that it keeps getting worse, not better missing him--and that I don't know what I'd do without Hubby.

13. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, so I knew that the whole episode was a dream. They ALWAYS start the episode with a dream. Always. If Allison doesn't wake up, it's going to be a fake out.

What broke my heart was her waking up. I started bawling then and didn't stop. Few shows get this kind of send-off, and even fewer that I love as much as I've loved this show. I think the move to CBS hurt the show. I don't know if the new network had an affect on the writing, but it has suffered since the move, so I think it was time for the show to end this season. I would have LIKED for the show to have had time to create a big multi-part finale, but I guess they didn't have enough warning ahead of time? Ah well.

I will miss Allison and Joe. I have been emotionally invested in their relationship from the beginning. I wish I could find my own Joe someday. :adore:

*sniffle* Okay, where are the tissues?

14. Witterquick

I feel exactly the same way. Well not that I want a Joe, just a relationship like theirs. It's so amazingly well written that so many people feel this way about them.

Edited to add: Not just well-written, but well-acted with great chemistry.

15. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

A show as well-done as Medium is rare!

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I see what you did there. ;)

17. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought I was alone regarding this. My wife and I have seen every episode and had no clue that was the end until it happened. I guess it caught me off guard, because I cried like a baby when I realized they had actually killed Joe. Many times during the show I'd see scenes/hear dialogue that my wife and I would note could have come from our house. The believability factor of Joe and Allison's relationship was amazing. And the girls were adorable to watch grow up. I just didn't realize how invested I was in them. It felt like I was losing a friend. Yeah, I'm a sap.

I actually was reminded of Bicentennial Man by the ending for some reason. Whatever the inspiration, it was a great finish.

18. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I wish they had gotten another half-dozen or so episodes to do a wrap up, rather than in the rushed fashion it felt.

It's sad, the show usually managed to surprise me, and that's not easy, and now it's gone.

Good TV is really dying, IMHO. There's just next to nothing left to watch.

19. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I used to watch the show religiously, but then it kind of fell off my radar. Weird work schedules and all. I did manage to watch the second to last episode and then watch the finale.

All I can say is sad. I'm sure on any other show I'd be mad that they made most of the show a dream. But then again, Ghost Joe did say that what he was showing Allison was her future without him, it was only her unwillingness to let him go that lead to Joe being a part of her dream

The end with old Allison finally passing away and being reunited with Joe was such a beautiful moment, the tears did not stop rolling. Even thinking about that moment right now as I type this is making me misty eyed.

20. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

This.