is Stargate dead for good?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Temis the Vorta, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just curious what the peanut gallery has to say. What do you think will happen? What do you think should happen?

I've never thought Stargate lived up to its interesting potential, particularly in the ideas trotted out in the first few seasons of SG-1. SG:A also had a few nice ideas, also never capitalized on. I couldn't tolerate SG:U for very long so if it had something to contribute, I wouldn't know what that was.

What I think will happen: space opera is pretty dead on TV and Skiffy is too cowardly to take risks. There may be a long-shot hope of a more visionary basic or premium cable network resurrecting Stargate, but if it's Showtime, I'd prefer they resurrect Star Trek first, which is certainly a more respectable brand, and more fitting for Showtime, which has built itself from its humble beginnings into a worthy competitor to HBO.

What I think should happen: reboot the whole franchise on AMC. Go back to the basics. The situation with the Goa'uld, Taur'i and Tok'ra was ripe with possibilities that were scuttled because the producers refused to develop the story at more than a surface level.

2. Chevron Guy

Chevron Guy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Nothing that was once popular seems to stay dead, and the stargate is a good story device, so it seems likely that there will be a new series or movie some day. I'm not sure if a full reboot is needed. Just resume the current continuity in a few years with a new creative team.

3. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

At some point the SG universe may get rebooted. It is after all based on a very intriguing and cool core idea.

But I'm guessing the current SG 'timeline' has run its course.

But you never know.

4. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it will come back eventually. Popular franchises simply refuse to die.

5. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've heard you say that quite often, and I disagree. I don't think it was 'refusing to develop the story', more trying to balance the overall arc with a somewhat episodic format. There were some ideas that weren't expanded, but overall I think the storyline was strong and relatively coherent. Do you have any examples besides a feeling that the stories could have been more in depth?

I don't think a reboot is a good idea, at least not a history wiping 'the-other-series-didn't-happen-because-we-said-so' type reboot. Maybe a prequel or sequel type 'reboot', more like the idea behind Enterprise, but not totally wiping the slate clean. The Stargate universe is a huge place to play in, so to speak, so it still has a lot of stories to tell.

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The only "reboot" I'd watch is a sequel to the original Emmerich movie.

7. TiberiusMaximus

You know, I might watch that too. I liked the way the series went but the story of the original movie had some great opportunities to expand upon as well.

8. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Honestly I think that the only place that Stargate can go from this point forward, especially after seeing how a purely arc driven show was received, is to go with full public disclosure of the Stargate program to the people of Earth. Not only would this allow for the continuation of all three ongoing arcs (Lucian Alliance War, Wraith War, and Destiny's Mission) but it would allow for more of the "close to home" type episodes like SG-1 was filled with.

I think that the distance, both literal and figurative, that Universe had with our Earth and our galaxy was a major "why should I care" factor in the show. The mission being introduced so late was also a hurting factor.

I fully believe that a series based around the actions that Homeworld Command takes during and following the Lucian Alliance attack on Earth (which should be the catalyst for full disclosure) in regards to both ongoing wars, public reaction to the Program, and whatever Destiny finds would be much more successful than either Universe or Atlantis ever was. This would entail a more episodic layout with a slightly thicker overall arc than what SG-1 and Atlantis had, yet nowhere near the arc driven nature of Universe.

9. Lieut. Arex

Lieut. Arex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You're suggesting the Stargate Command proposal that was considered at the end of the eighth season. Sci Fi opted to continue SG-1 for two more seasons instead. Upon reflection, it would've been a better path, ending SG-1 on the relatively high note of "Moebius", allowing the studio to bring in new characters (and cheaper actors) for a shot of fresh blood, and giving the producers a largely clean slate to work with considering the Goa'uld had been defeated. It would be an interesting approach, but I don't wonder if Sci Fi and even MGM might not want to let the property rest for a couple of years before giving it another go.

10. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stargate is most likely dead for good and it does look like space based sci fi on TV anyway is dead also.

11. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

If you wanted a sequel to the Roland Emmerich movie that was Independence Day just replace the actors and some of the characters. Look at how the aliens in ID4 were ultimately defeated I think SG-1 pulled that trope several times throughout their run.

As for Stargate I fear it will go the way of Farscape and Bablyon 5 it isn't Star Trek or Star Wars, Stargate doesn't have that kind of power that those other franchises have that allows it to be brought back after 10-20 years.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I want Sheriff Jack Carter to accidentally rescue them.

A three part story on Eureka to bring these folkes home before the sets are scrapped.

They keep Eli.

The rest bog off.

13. TiberiusMaximus

^Ha ha...that's awesome! Eli on Eureka would be the single greatest crossover in the history of crossovers between Stargate and Eureka. Oh...wait...it would be the first. Still, it would also be the greatest.

Personally, I think Stargate and Eureka are in the same universe and Jack Carter is Sam Carter's brother.

14. Cm. Kora'Tor

Cm. Kora'Tor Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Aboard the USS Trinity (Sovereign class) AU
    Well, I for one would like it to continue. They just need decent writers writing it the way the other two were written. We do not need a space opera...we need Sci-Fi. Not Sex scenes in a drama in space. That was their biggest flaw, that and where are the bloody aliens? There are plenty of ideas still left. Avenues to excite the imagination if only they would listen to the public. Many, Many have some great ideas. (yes, I know legalities etc)
    They need to get back to the basics. Either get out there and explore OR A new enemy threatens Earth. Something worthy, not the stupid Ori junk they gave us. Worthy adversary's like the Goa'uld would be the best idea.
    And if Eli could join up with Rodney and Radek...that would be a awesome brilliant team. :)

But that is just my 2 cents on it...:cool:

15. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Oh, brother. :rolleyes:

16. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well there wasn't enough lens flare on Universe.

I think this show fell flat because it was too much character driven. The characters were boring predictable and unrelateable with a couple of exceptions. The plot seemed to happen purely by coincidence. Not enough happened to justify following the cast round on shaky cams and desperately trying to bask in some of BSG's light.

I did start to warm to the series in the second season- but it's too little too late. If you want viewers entertain them from the beginning! SG1 and Atlantis always did that.

Stargate isn't dead, but they need to get rid of the writers. Too many long shows suffer fatigue from idea drained writers. Atlantis season 4 and 5 are good examples. Voyager suffered towards the end. BSG too in season 4. Only the creator of babylon 5 managed to be a consistent writer throughout it's run.

17. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I think it's safe to say that with Stargate Universe's cancellation all of the writers are now out of work. However this doesn't mean the franchise is at an end just as of yet.

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Stargate is done. There's no incentive to develop another series, and the SG-1 and Atlantis DVD movies which have spent the past year in development hell are truly screwed now. Stargate wasn't that popular a franchise in the grand scheme of things, meaning I doubt anyone else will want to revisit it down the road. This is the end, people.

Space based sci-fi will be back on TV at some point. Might take ten years, but it'll be back. Could even be in the form of a new Star Trek series. Hey, we can hope, right?

Being too character driven isn't necessarily a problem if you have good and interesting characters. But like you said the SGU characters weren't that good. They ranged from bland to just plain unappealing. Which is a shame because SG-1 and Atlantis gave us some really great characters, both in their main casts and their supporting casts.

19. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i actually think their cousins....don't forget, Jack already has a sister. And Sam & Jack seem too friendly to never talk to each other anymore.

Now, being cousins, they probably didn;t grow up near each other, so in that scenario, it would be plausible that they aren't close.

It WOULD be nice to have some mention of Jack's cousin being in the military, and having something to do at Area 51.

other possibility is it's a parallel universe where Jack is Sam's parallel, ironically

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also, Sam Carter has a brother named Mark. I do like the idea that they could be cousins, except you'd think Jacob would want to look in on his nephew Jack.

I do love it when we get caught up on tangents like this and derail threads.