This Is Not My Life - New Zealand's version of The Prisoner

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by firehawk12, Oct 15, 2010.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    http://tvnz.co.nz/this-is-not-my-life/not-my-life-index-group-3631491

I'm not sure if there is anyone who watched this show, since I'm sure New Zealand television is a fairly niche as English language TV goes but since it just wrapped up I figure I'd make a post about it regardless.

The premise is that a man - "Alec Ross", the one in the center there - wakes up in a gated community and realizes that the life he is living is not his. Alec has to figure out who he was before he came to this gated community, dealing with a conspiracy that reaches globally.

I'm not going to lie and say that this was the best show ever or that the premise is the most original, but it's a very engaging show if you're looking to scratch that "Prisoner" itch. New Zealand is also very nice to look at. :lol:

Because the show is only 13 episodes and there is a season arc, the pacing is much better with giving out answers and moving things along than a lot of other recent "big mystery" shows that have aired on American television in recent years. They managed to hit a decent pace of giving you answers but also bringing up new questions without being too frustrating.

Anyone else watch the show?

2. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I'd not even heard of it, but am planning on checking it out now.

3. firehawk12

Yeah, I think you'd like it actually.

4. OriginalXindi

OriginalXindi Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Wanted to show some love for this show - I thought it was fantastic. Similar premise initially to the new version of The Prisoner, but really develops over the course of the season. Lots of suspense and questions that are gradually answered, in a way that makes sense [unlike Lost].

Fantastic cinematography too - shot on the Red One digital cine camera.

Check it out!

5. firehawk12

Really? God, I'm at a point where I just can't tell the difference between digital and film now.

6. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Just watching the pilot episode now, it really does have a Prisoner feel to it. I'm enjoying it so far about two thirds the way through the first part.

7. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is there a source for this in the U.S.? The website won't play the episodes for us outlanders, and I've checked my most-likelies (Netflix, Blockbuster, IMDb); no dice. Am I just out of luck for now?

8. firehawk12

Yeah, it just finished airing last week so other than IP spoofing and 'other means', you're probably out of luck for now.

9. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I watched the first couple then lost interest. It was good but not great in my book. I'm over "mystery" shows these days.

I'm glad someone here mentioned it though!