Star Trek: Specter

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by tnpir4002, Sep 6, 2010.

1. tnpir4002

tnpir4002 Commander Red Shirt

Hi guys!

There's an older thread about this project here, but it's two years old so I thought I'd restart it anew. Lots of changes, including a retool, and now even a Wiki.

For those who aren't familiar with it:

The basic premise is that a leading Federation scientist suddenly snaps for no apparent reason, stealing classified starship blueprints before faking his death in a shuttle accident. When he returns five years later, he's meaner than ever and in possession of dangerous scientific equipment that could unravel space-time itself.

With time running out before he unleashes his mad scheme, it falls to his oldest friend to find him and stop him. But all may not be as it seems, as it seems the young captain may be keeping something from his inexperienced crew, a secret that could change the course of history itself...

Since the last time I posted about it here, it's amassed a runtime of two hours forty minutes, and we've done two casting calls, and Mr. Doug Drexler himself has actually seen it.

I'm still working on it (it's 90% finished), and so I've uploaded it in 15-minute blocks up onto YouTube for all to see. The voices are all still my temp tracks, so you'll have to use some imagination when the characters are speaking.

See the first block: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luY4MVMrZpw

There's also a Wiki for it with a full plot summary and some more interesting links, including the old thread here at the BBS: http://stexpanded.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Specter_of_the_Past

View, comment, and enjoy! :)

2. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Great news! I have tried to lay out this set of links for your entire film to day on my webpage about your work, vis: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/94.html

Please let me know if it is correct. Until now the number of links and my confusion about what you might yet edit out lead me to decide to just link to your you tube page, but it sounds like you are starting to settle into specific final work. Anyway, take a peak and please correct me if it's not right. The purpose of Star Trek Reviewed is to make it EASY for the casual Trek fan to watch fan films.

3. tnpir4002

Barb!

If it weren't for you and Kirok L'Stok helping keep these clips organized I probably wouldn't have half the viewers I have. I'm glad you saw the uploads of the 15-minute blocks, they look good! You're right, we're getting down to the last little bit, but there's still a little editing to be done. I may have to pull them all down one more time before it's all said and done, but then I'll have my director's cut.

From there, it'll be up to the fans to decide what stays and what goes!

Stay tuned!

4. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I watched only first part so far, but surely will watch the rest (thanks Barbreader for collecting all in one place!). I really liked it :) Didn't read the summary on Wiki, as I prefer to watch movies and that way to learn what is going to happen.

I also like the look of the refitted bridge! Nice work!

5. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    Double post

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  6. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I'll watch it as soon as I'm back from work, the title sounds especially promising ;)

7. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

I saw you were the last person to post here and thought this was yours!

8. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

If it's any good I'll take all the credit! :techman:

9. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I've just watched the first 15 minutes and I have to say, I'm very impressed. Loved the nod to nuBSG (glad there wasn't a kiss involved though ;)), loved the the Ambassador class, loved the Galaxy-X class (great to see both of them getting beauty shots), loved the ship's interiors.

Very much looking forward to watching the next part :techman:

10. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

I'm gonna asay that I watched probably the first 30-45 minutes of this and it's a superb piece.

I love the way you capture the feel in cinematography of Generations - I'm a nostalgia-for-the-90s-nutcase - and how you homage so many elements visually from all the modern Trek films/series.

Can't wait to see the finished product!! :)

11. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Congratulations! SPECTER managed to successfully revive TNG after 16 years.

I love the interiors and the faithful use of sound effects and atmosphere. I just recently saw GENERATIONS on TV, and I have to say that SPECTER effectively picks up where the crash-landing of the Enterprise-D left off. Interesting how you included Data (B4?) and Troi. (Love Troi's revival of '80s hair) The only thing I don't like about it is the "All Good Things..." nod with all the add-ons. I'd much sooner see the original Galaxy-class with just two nacelles, but that's my taste.

Will SPECTER be adding more voice-actors to fill out the cast? It will be interesting if the show can recruit just the right female voices.

12. tnpir4002

@Danlav05: one nostalgia-for-the-90s-nutcase to another, glad you're enjoying it!

@Wingsley: even though I'm basically striking Nemesis from my universe, Specter is set just before the events of that film specifically (not joking--see the page for this movie on TVTropes) to include Data.

As for the Galaxy-X, that design was chosen in part to be a visual match for the ISS Voyager, itself something of a kitbash, but also because I always thought the basic Galaxy-class looked unbalanced and awkward from certain angles. (Listen to the commentary on Generations, and they address this with the actual cinematographers when we see the 1701-D in orbit over Veridian III, just before the conversation about "pretty big margin of error").

With respect to the voice cast, I've actually recruited an entire ensemble cast to supplement my voice as Garr and Reyf, including male and female actors. The ADR will be performed once the movie is completely finished and I'm sure that there are no rewrites coming (I've told this story many times, but early in production I did a recording session with one actress as Dr. Falwell, only to completely rewrite and expand that role, and when the time came to do the new VOs, she declined to reprise the part; that kind of scared me, so this time I'm taking no chances).

13. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

Great job on the episodes. Great story also. Let us know when you make another one.

14. tnpir4002

@scifib5st: there are threads all over the cybersphere for Specter, so the possibility always exists that I might miss this one, the best way is if you subscribe to my YouTube channel or keep an eye on the movie's Wiki: http://stexpanded.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek%3A_Specter_of_the_Past

I'll do my best to keep this thread up to date though!

15. Barbreader

I try to keep ALL my webpages up to date, and check the Specter You Tube page regularly... typically about weekly.
    http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/94.html
    And of course, once you're at Star Trek Reviewed, it's easy to see if a new part of any other partial release of any other fan film I know about is out by checking that film's webpage, or if a completed movie or film has been released, because that's Headline News. (If you know of a Star Trek Fan Film I've missed... it isn't by choice! Let me know!). See the Septrr, Octrr, Novrr thread in this forum for a list of partial releases that I've been updating regularly.

16. tnpir4002

Barb!

Given the sheer volume of material you have to keep track of, if I may be so bold you do a fine job :)

In a rare move, I'm updating this thread before the one at SFM or STPMA. The first part of Scene 46 is up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_8SK8VBdU8

The background plates aren't fully rendered but I'm pushing this up as quickly as I can to keep people from tuning out.

17. Barbreader

OK, I added that as No. 11, but when you have a 15 minute segment, I'll replace the lot of them with that.

This is what I always say: There are hundreds of completed Star Trek Fan Films... most of them, not very good! Please do not compromise your quality, because so far, it's excellent, and what there is not enough of, is excellent films!

And if you are feeling down, if you think your stuff isn't worthy, try my listings under 'really really bad stuff'... seriously they make a lot of people feel much better about their work! Although I do think Phantom of the Space Opera sort of sets a tone of 'the bottom' for the clean stuff, ST: The Lost Conversations for the dirty stuff, and Fry's Trek takes the worst ever award on technical grounds. Razzys anyone?

So, seriously, you've created what could be a true master work. Don't blow it now because you feel rushed by a little spotlight. Continue to do great animation, and then... yes, edit.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  18. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

this is just so incredibly awesome

19. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the responce to the questions. I now understand more about the current and furture aspect of female voices.

20. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

What I have seen is VERY good. Looking forward to see the final form.