Program a five-film Arnold Schwarzenegger fest

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Gaith, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

The exercise is simple: choose five movies, no more, no less, that best reflect the breadth and high points of Arnie's film career.

Here are my picks:

1. Terminator 2 (Extended Edition) - Well, you've gotta have at least one Terminator, and while one can reasonably argue that T1 is the best of the lot, Arnie's barely in it. So T2's a non-negotiable pick, imho.

2. Predator - Arnie's '80s beefcake phase should be represented, and isn't this the undisputed best of 'em?

3. Kindergarten Cop - I haven't actually seen this yet, but Arnie's tried enough comedy that a fest should include at least one, and from what I hear this is his funniest.

4. The 6th Day - This is a personal favorite/wild card pick of mine. It's probably his best (starring) movie since T2, and what with all the surprisingly thought-provoking sci-fi twists and turns, might be one of his smartest movies ever.

4. Pumping Iron - haven't seen this one either, but I understand it was a breakout role for him, albeit in a documentary sense.

How'd I do? :)

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

1. Terminator.
    2. Conan the Barbarian.
    3. Predator.
    4. True Lies.
    5. Total Recall.

3. Sparky

Sparky Commodore Commodore

Conan the Barbarian
    Commando
    Predator
    Last Action hero
    True Lies

4. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Conan The Barbarian
    Terminator (the first and by far the best)
    Predator
    Twins
    True Lies

5. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Conan The Barbarian
    Total Recall
    Predator
    Terminator
    Commando

6. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Terminator 2
    Predator
    Commando
    Total Recall
    Kindergarten Cop

7. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

Batman and Robin
    Last Action Hero
    Terminator 2
    True Lies
    Twins

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yup. This is it.

9. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

The Terminator
    Terminator 2
    True Lies
    Predator
    Total Recall

(and yes I have watched these films in this order before :D)

10. Gaith

Perhaps, if one ignores the part of the OP that specifically requests that one aim for some variety... this wasn't meant to necessarily be a "name your five favorite Arnie movies" thread. Oh well... :p

11. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

What makes you think that's what I did?

Conan is Arnold's glorious beginning, stripped down so to speak of what his later movies would entail, it's just his charisma and his machismo. Followed by a perfect example of his later excesses, Total Recall, just to counter program. Then we show a fine combination of both, and the gloriousness that can entail, with Predator. Then, when the people are salivating for the pop-Arnie, you give them the glorious, stripped down violence of Terminator. Topped off with the piece de resistance, the unintentional comic masterpiece that is Commando...shown late at night as the last film when everyone is thoroughly drunk and/or sleeptarded and can appreciate it's off the wall wackness.

I put a lot of thought into it. Screw you. :p

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Conan
    Terminator 2
    Junior
    True Lies
    Last Action Hero

13. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really can't disagree with any of this. Well done.

I think that's the order I'd pick, too, though I have a hard time giving up "Last Action Hero," which I have a bizarre soft spot for.

14. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Terminator 1
    Terminator 2
    Predator
    True Lies
    Twins

15. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

-Pumping Iron

-The Villain

-Stay Hungry

-Predator

-Hercules in NY (ok. not really.)

-Last Action Hero

16. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Predator
    Commando
    True Lies
    Terminator 3
    Eraser

17. Gaith

Maybe I should have asked for brief explanations up front. With only lists, it's hard to tell if there's much thought involved. ;)

And yet... they're all action movies, two of which are sci-fi and three of which largely take place in nature (I assume - haven't actually seen Conan) and, apart from Total Recall, all from the '80s. :p

I'm pleasantly surprised to see so many nods for Last Action Hero. I saw it once when I was just a kid and loved it; it's now on my Netflix queue. Here's hoping it's as fun as I remember!

I gotta give Cicero a hat tip for being the only other guy to choose a post-True Lies movie... and really, True Lies? Very possibly his blandest starring action role.

Finally, @A beaker full of death... that's one interesting list! I had to look up a few of those.

18. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Terminator
    Predator
    Total Recall
    Terminator 2
    True Lies

Yeah, I know... they're all action films and the OP asked for some variety. Well, I think True Lies has enough comedy in it to qualify as an example of the "humorous" side of Arnold's catalogue. Not to mention it also has its fair share of dramatic moments to showcase his growth as an actor. In fact, I'd say Total Recall, a thinking person's sci-fi actioner, has this as well.

But yeah, ultimately, I picked these 'cause they're my favourites. So sue me. :p

19. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

1. Terminator 2
    2. Predator
    3. Total recall
    4. The Running Man
    5. Commando

20. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reflecting on the high points that capture his full range, in quality movies

Terminator 2 - The Minimalist Arnie, as a feature, unlike supporting in the original
    Predator - The Full Bore Arnie, top of the line for the testosterone genre he frequented
    Total Recall - The Stretching Himself Arnie, substantial character depth, romance, twists
    Kindergarten Cop - The Freed Arnie, befitting comedic archetype, comfortable delivery
    True Lies - The Full Evolution Arnie, action, humor, a new character stretch