A old Klingon fighter idea...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by judexavier, Jul 31, 2010.

1. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

I "needed" some sort of old K-fighter in the "metaluna/black widow" universe, so started sketching out some ideas...
    as they progressed, I decided to really simplify the whole thing, and ended up just using the TOS klingon "head" shape as the main cockpit body, the BOP finned shoulders/reactors(?), and stretched-distorted versions of the BOP wings, with the main weapons at the tips. And thus ended up with a .... Klingon Tie-fighter. !??! :wtf:

(After messing with this for awhile, I remembered Probert Designs klingon fighter...wow yes, a much better design :)
    I really want to read his new art-design guide at some point.
    That Fed fighter is very cool too...hadn't seen that before.)

Anyway, still a WIP and evolving. I'm thinking of trying this out in card-stock and paper, at least a mock-up.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg178/judexavier/K-Fighterprototype3D02-1.jpg

Here's that black widow progress, Right now I'm goofing around with PS layer blending tricks, so
    that rust-bucket/paint chip thing won't be nearly as glaring in the end:) It will be black, like the aircraft.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg178/judexavier/NCC-P61BlackWidowPrototype02Flat--TOP.jpg

2. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nice idea for the klingon fighter

3. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

I am sexually aroused and I am touching myself inappropriately looking at your Klingon Tie-fighter.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  4. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

WOW!:eek:

That K-Fighter looks Wicked Awesome!!

its like a mix of : B'rel class Klingon Bird of Prey
    Klingon D7 or K't'inga class Battlecruiser
    Galactic Empire Tie - Interceptor
    Galactic Replublic ARC 170 Starfighter

and all mixed togethor to create this wonderful and awesome looking fighter design :klingon: :drool: :eek: :) :techman:

5. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Holy Crap. That one just went in the build now folder. :)

I can't wait for the other views. :)

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Looks Very nuBSG Cylon. I like it!

8. The Axeman

The Axeman Commodore Commodore

I'll play devils advocate and point out that I dont much like the retention of the photon tube. I understand why you've kept an important design que like that, but I think technically and aesthetically it's a bit of a push. Technically I doubt it would work at that scale, the pilot would be straddling the tube, and aesthetically it makes the thing look startled. I'd replace it with something else you could mould to suit your needs, maybe some vent or deflector or something?

Overall I'm not sure I like the rather spindly shape, it does not scream Klingon to me at first glance as you have to 'read' the design traits you've left in. To be honest it looks more BSG than anything, and I never liked the new series much. Very professional job though, and like the alternate Trek ship very much. Keep up the great work, you're turning out some amazing stuff.

9. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

(at the Klingon fighter) *jaw drops*

10. Buck Rogers

Buck Rogers Captain Captain

That looks fantastic IMO keep up the good work Ok.

Signed

Buck Rogers

11. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

WHIZBANG!!! KAPOW KAPOW!!! P'TCHOO P'TCHOO!! RADSPLOSION!!!

I think that's all I have left to say about your stuff, Jude.

12. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd be curious to see this fighter in the original TOS two-tone color scheme. I'd agree with changing the tube into a window or something.

13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

A nice back story would be for Klingons to find a Tie fighter, or for the Empire to find both a cylon raider and probert's Klingon fighter, making a hybrid X-wing killer.

14. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

Or, that I drank too much, and looked at way too many TIE fighter models..:)
    One thing I just realized about the NuBSG comment...man I didn't realize it had the same sort of "rake" to it...I should do more research and drink less before I post these things.
    Sorry.:)
    Today I had a little time to do some more - "refining"?
    Anyway, I think it's headed in a better direction, concerning the cockpit/windows, and some of the shapes relate more to each other. You can still recognize the thing, but it's evolved.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions! I always save those in a document for reference and ideas.