Thinking about re-watching Voyager from start to finish.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by SRFX, Jun 14, 2010.

1. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

I have been thinking lately that I would like to watch through Voyager from start to finish, mainly as a way of re-evaluating the series and my stance on it.

Would there be there any interest in my episode-by-episode evaluations here? I'd be doing this anyway for my own reference, but I could post them in a thread if people are curious. Or did TheGodBen do this all too recently?

Keep in mind, this wouldn't be a bash-fest (not from me anyway). I genuinely want to re-familiarise myself with the series and work out where I stand on it - lover, hater or somewhere in between?

Discussion and debate would of course be welcome.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  2. vas2009

vas2009 Captain Captain

Absolutly! It would be nice to talk about each episode after a fresh veiwing. I myself watched some of season one this evening as a refresher of sorts ;)

I look forward to your coments assuming they are well thought out. :)

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Go ahead and do it. I will be rewatching it from Caretaker to Endgame starting this week some time. Probably be slow about it because I'm watching it with someone else but I would be happy to have a thread. I've rewatched it several times from the beginning but I haven't watched it since running through DS9, ENT, TOS, TAS and Bab5 so it's been a while now. Looking forward to it greatly.

4. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Coming back from vacation on a plane this past week, I watched an iPod version of Caretaker that I digitized from our DVD's, and it was a great way to pass the time. So I'm jazzed now to start watching the whole series again, too.

5. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Go ahead. There's very little episode-specific discussion on the forum right now, so it would be a welcome change.

6. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Go ahead. There's very little episode-specific discussion on the forum right now, so it would be a welcome change.

7. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

Alrighty, well I've made a start already. Once I've gathered my thoughts for the first few episodes I'll start a new thread.

8. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Hmmm. I recently watched all of TNG and DS9 with my gf and the subject of Voyager came up. I said, and I say this of Voyager often: "It has some of the best Star Trek episodes in it, but you have to wade through so many mediocre ones to get to them it's almost not worth it." A lot of her female friends recommend Voyager as their favourite (girls seem to like Voyager for some reason?) so she has expressed interest in it, but she also complained a lot about how little continuity there was in TNG (and enjoyed the continuity of DS9) so from that perspective she would probably not enjoy the complete lack of continuity in Voyager. I basically think if I buy S1 on DVD, she'll watch it, but if I don't, she won't. I wouldn't mind revisiting the characters, who I had a lot of affection for.

What do you think?

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been rewatching the series, and I'm currently at Innocence. Unfortunately, I hate that episode, so I'm not really in any hurry to see it, but then The Thaw comes up next and I like that one. I've actually been thinking about Enterprise lately (Haven't seen it in a long long while) but I only have season 4. Would love to get The Expanse and Season 3 somehow without actually purchasing it. Wish they were available for instant viewing on Netflix.

10. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

I think make a big old bowl of popcorn, cuddle up together on the couch and enjoy!

11. Mareika

Mareika Captain Captain

You should start with "Resolutions". I know many girls who became Voyagerfans after watching this episode.;)

12. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I plan to do that soon too!

You guys might appreciate this story.

I mentioned it in the DS9 forum. I have a fantastic store here in town, a UK-based store called CEX which sells used DVDs/games/iPods, etc. I love this place. I go in there all the time.

So yesterday, I saw they had every season of Voyager available, but all at different prices. Now I don't have the full collection yet, but I grabbed season four for $30. I'm now only missing season two and three, so I hid them so no one else would find them. :D

Anyway, I noticed that all the seasons are different prices. Season four was the most expensive, again, $30, but I saw that season one was $18, season two was $23 and season three was $29. So I asked one of the girls that worked there, I said, "Why are these priced differently?"

She said, and I swear I'm not making this up, "Oh, it's just the quality of it." I said, "You mean the condition of the sets themselves? (because they were in near-mint condition)" She said, "No, the show itself." I just lifted an eyebrow and said, "So, you're charging $30 for this season [four] because you guys think it's the best one?" She sort of smirked and said, "Well, yes."

To which I said, "Then you should be charging me two dollars for season two and three!"

Once I get those - for two dollars each, I hope - then I will watch it from start to finish. :D

13. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    Funny story! :lol: I collect Sailor Moon stuff, and a used book/DVD store where I live was doing the same exact thing with their pricing. They priced the used Sailor Moon DVDs based on how popular the episodes were! One of the DVDs I was missing had some of the most well-known episodes of the show, and I had to fork over $50 for it! And it only contained like 5 episodes...

And shame. I think VOY Season 2 is pretty good. :) You know, besides that whole "Threshold" thing.

14. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Season 2 has some excellent episodes including "Resistance", "Death Wish" and "Meld". If someone can get it for $2 well more power to them!

15. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are some winners in season two and I loved how it ended, but overall, I thought it was pretty bland. I loved it initially, but I didn't feel it held up in the long run.

And season three... :rolleyes:

This isn't a bashing thread, after all. I consider seasons two and three to be the low points, but the show really picks up starting in season four all the way to the end. :)

16. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Go for it. I did it recently, and I was ready to give up by the middle of season 7. I didn't realise how mediocre the last season is until watching it four episodes at a time.

17. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Season 7 was deficient in Janeway, due to stories which focused on Seven AND the EMH.

I really LIKE Seven and the EMH, but its Janeway that's my favorite and that made year 7 frequently a problem for me. Getting double Janeway's in Endgame was a poor substitute for her absence in much of the season.

An example of over focus on one supporting character (for me) is ST TNG's "Nemesis. I loved TNG, but I haven't seen Nemesis since the theater, even though I have it on dvd, because I couldn't take another Data heavy story. I even hated the ending, because it WASN'T the big emotional tear jerker like the end of Wrath of Khan since they already provided an alternate Data to "carry on".

Still, year 7 has some gems for me...the J/Queen scenes in "Unimatrix II", the J/7 and Torres/7 scenes in "Imperfection, the J/Tuvok scene in "Critical care", all of "Shattered" and "Workforce", Janeway against everyone in "The Void".

Gee, it "sounds" like she had a lot to do in 7, but we who've watched it know that a few scenes here and there do not satiate a true Janeway-aholic.

18. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

I own all the seasons but have been unable to watch anything past the middle of Season 7 since it aired.

19. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    Agreed. I have seen very little past mid Season-7 since first airing. The only exceptions are "Endgame" and "Author, Author" I think, and even those were a while ago. And I won't really watch "Endgame' anymore.

Season 7 is a barren wasteland for the true Janeway-aholic; this is quite true!

20. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked Renaissance Man", except that profession of love at the end to Seven.

I DID love that look from B'Elanna when she nonchalantly snatched him from the jaws of cyber oblivion and he had to come back and face the music.

I also loved Janeway telling him that on the holodeck there were only two rules. Leave your rank at the door... and NO opera!

Hallelujah!