Stephen Hawking Warns of Alien Menace

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by gturner, Apr 25, 2010.

1. gturner

gturner Admiral

Times Online article

I think it's time we beef up our planetary defenses.

What say you?

2. scottydog

scottydog Admiral Admiral

I think there's some wisdom in what Hawking is saying. Sounds like he may have watched the Twilight Zone episode, "To Serve Man".

3. KiraDax

KiraDax Captain Captain

I applaud Professor Hawking for his common sense. I've always thought that us waving down any potential extraterrestrial life would kinda be akin to standing on a highway in the middle of nowhere and thumbing for a ride.

Most humans are selfish assholes, why do we really think the scales will weigh any differently with ETs? :techman:

4. StarryEyed

StarryEyed Commodore Commodore

It sounds like Hawking is losing it. A species capable of interstellar travel is resource-poor? Yeah, right. There is limitless energy available from stars and equally-endless raw materials from asteroids. Need living space? Build O'Niel type space colonies.

5. Docbrown777

Docbrown777 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just please make the defenses stronger then the Mars Defense Perimeter. Otherwise don't even try. :shifty:

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

God help us if the only ship in range isn't named the Enterprise.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

8. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Or Voyager. :p

Hawking stay up late watching INDEPENDENCE DAY again?

"Now, that's what I call a close encounter!"

9. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

If this is indeed Professor Hawkings view, it saddens me and I am disappointed. To have such a fearful remark from such a enlighten man is a little surprising. While no one can argue the need for a defensive posture to protect our civilization from hostility. This statement seems more in line from that bar 'thug' from Enterprise’s "Home", where the man blamed the enterprise crew for flying around and telling all the hostiles where to find us. Really, is this what needs to be conveyed? Paranoia and isolationism will lead only to more repression of the human sprit and fascist domination of security minded zealots.

Adventure takes courage.

-The Shatinator

10. gturner

gturner Admiral

Exactly! We need to take the fight to them!

Hawking needs to get to work on a weapon that can implode an alien star and make it go nova. Others can work on the ships and delivery systems.

Strike them before they strike us!

The weak will perish!

11. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I agree that it's just as likely we'd meet hostile, agressive aliens as it is we'd meet friendly Vulcans...

Sounds more to me like he's been watching "Independence Day."

12. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

Healthy paranoia. Because, what if they are dangerous? What if they want to conquer and destroy? We should be prepared.

But then, remember the ending that EJO came up with for BSG... where the Colonials land on Earth between 2001-2009 only to have Bush nuke their ships?

We should also be prepared to be too dangerous ourselves.

13. Defiant

Defiant Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This seems a bit off for Hawking. If anyone can cross the vast distances of space to attack us, there's not a hell of a lot we could do about it. We've been radiating radio signals for a LONG time, so why wouldn't they already be here wiping us out?

It's like telling the Afghani tribesmen living in mud-huts to prepare their defences against a predator drone - or worse, an nuclear-tipped ICBM...

14. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was my first thought. I have no problem with the guy ripping off the plot from a film in order to get into the papers, but couldn't he have chosen something more current? Independence Day is 14 years old, Stephen! Go watch Avatar and write a crackpot theory about blue cat aliens, that will make the kids of today listen to you.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  15. gturner

gturner Admiral

Don't despair, folks! If aliens do arrive their resources should be well depleted from the long journey to get here, and their supply lines would be stretched to the limit. So prudence would dictate that our first act should be a suprise nuclear attack on their ships. Even if we don't completely wipe them out, it will tell them that we aren't a species they want to mess with.

Advanced alien species are only peaceful when you've got a boot firmly planted on their throat. Only then can we negotiate rights to their drive and weapons technologies in return for some Britanny Spears CD's and an 8-track tape of Kiss.

16. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks Stevie!

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

No, no, if the only ship in range is named Voyager, we're definitely screwed. At least with an Enterprise we'd have a chance.

As long as the invasion happens after Tuesday.

18. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

to paraphrase a certain CF Xavier, i feel a great swell of pity if anyone should come to this planet, looking for trouble.

19. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Prof Hawking said that over 10 years ago. Either the Times or the OP are digging up old news.

20. gturner

gturner Admiral

That just means the alien fleet is ten years closer to Earth!