SyFy picks up WWE Smackdown

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by AviTrek, Apr 13, 2010.

1. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Source

I wonder where they will move the Friday night block now? As much as I've supported SyFy stretching the brand in the past, I think this is going too far. They are destroying the one night of original science fiction programming they are known for to fill it with wrestling.

2. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I'd care more if I still watched anything in real time. DVRs care not about the day or the hour.

3. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Makes sense, really. WWE has been slowly moving everything to NBC Universal, so that was expected.

It's also possible they'll just dump the show on Thursday, since the Friday block is so established.

4. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I care somewhat because unless they try to make another night with original programming (and even then it's likely to be less rating than their already established friday night) it means less original genre shows on the network.

I can see why they'd do it from their perspective. If they did indeed pay $30mil, that's $30mil for 52 episodes which comes in a little under $570k an episode. That's a lot cheaper than the original dramas on the network.

5. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Friday scripted shows will be moved to Tuesdays.

Smackdown Goes To Syfy

Imagine Greater.

6. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

Looks like my DVR will get a lot of work on tuesday's and the SyFy shows will be recorded during the repeats.

BTW_ this makes sense for a biz standpoint and I still enjoy wrestling so am not too bothered by the switch.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Since NXT is being dumped (probably) all this really does is add an extra hour's wrestling to the schedule.

Maybe SGU, Caprica etc will flourish on Tuesdays.

8. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

"imagine greater"

Don't the scifi-less network realize we DO imagine greater than they are giving us? What the hell happened to them? Obviously the network is run by the same idiots who thought Jay Leno at 10 pm was a great idea. Sigh.

9. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Never understood why they had wrestling on ScyFy.
    Imagine pathetic.

10. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Largely because it makes money which is more than I can say for a lot of their programming.

Some people will be complaining that they advertise non-Sci-Fi products next.

11. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

If it were not for Caprica, I would never watch that pathetic excuse for a network.

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I have doubts that Stargate can survive on a non friday night. SYFY Wrestling is not SyFy :rolleyes:

13. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Well I guess it is fiction of a sort :borg:

14. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I know, let's just go back and find the thread where it was announced that ECW would be on Sci-Fi, do a search and replace and not bother having the same old arguments and complaints over again.

15. Well.... uh........ some of wackier Undertaker storylines from a few years ago could be considered..... horror/fantasy........... I guess.

Yeah, that's all I got.

16. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I thought this already happened years ago. :confused:

What's the big deal? I remember WWE being announced as being moved to Syfy (or Sci-Fi) back around the time Enterprise was cancelled. Why is it news now? Or did Sci-Fi not bother doing it in the first place and are just now trying it again?

Alex

17. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't care what they advertise-but it would be nice if a channel named after a specific genre actually catered to that genre. I dvr Eureka, Caprica and ST:U so I can FF thru the ads for the wretched "movies" they air. Since they(the series) aren't all aired in the same part of the year a channel that's s'posed to be about scifi fails to hold the attention of a life-long scifi fan for more than 2 hours a week. Sad.

I hear ya, brother! Shout it out loud! ;)

18. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

SyFy aired ECW from 2006 until its recent cancellation and now fills the slot with NXT. They have now successfully bid to bring WWE Smackdown over from MyNetwork TV.

Smackdown is a 2 hour show and is one of two WWE brands, the other being Raw which airs on USA. ECW was a third brand but had considerably less top name stars compared to Raw or Smackdown.

NXT is a show featuring 8 younger wrestlers trying to earn a spot on one of the main rosters.

SyFy is paying a lot more for the show than MyNetwork TV do now.

19. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

:lol:

Or, keep scrolling.

As for me, Caprica is about the only thing I watch on Syfy so having it on Tuesday works out quite well for me. No more of the waiting-till-Saturday-or-Sunday-to-watch-on-Hulu for me!

20. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

http://www.spacecast.com/ShowsPage.aspx

Canada's SPACE channel doesn't seem to have any problems airing honest-to-goodness current and classic sci-fi and fantasy TV. This is the model SyFy should be following, not the wrestling and reality network with crappy made-for-TV movies thrown in for good measure.