What were the deleted scenes?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Warped9, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'm curious. I didn't see the dual disc version of ST09. Can anyone tell me what the deleted scenes were?

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

A simple Google search: "deleted scenes" abrams trek

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/interviews/article.asp/aid/11711/tcid/1

Hahahaha. Frosty, the writer of the piece says, "Simply put, 'Star Trek' has opened the summer movie season with a huge home run and I don’t know how anyone will be disappointed."

There are hundreds of other links.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I guess he hasn't been around here. :lol:

BYW that link doesn't connect to deleted scenes. Those six clips of Frosty's are all in the film I saw.

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

TrekMovie has a complete breakdown of the extras and deleted scenes for the various sets here. A listing of the runtimes can be found here.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ Thanks.

First I saw this:
    Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary
    - Spock Birth
    - Klingons Take Over Narada
    - Young Kirk, Johnny and Uncle Frank
    - Amanda and Sarek Argue After Spock Fights
    - Prison Interrogation and Breakout
    - Sarek Gets Amanda
    - Dorm Room and Kobayashi Maru (original version)
    - Kirk Apologizes to the Green Girl
    - Sarek Sees Spock

Then I saw this:
    Starships — Abrams and production designer Scott Chambliss were careful to pay tribute to the design of the original Enterprise, but they also wanted to make it futuristic and cool for a modern audience. This chapter focuses on the unique stories behind the creation of the film’s starships.

They were way off the mark here because the nu Uglyprise has none of the majesty and grace of the original MJ design. But that's another subject for another thread...

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

You're welcome.

That's a discussion we've had here a few times already (and in a couple of other forums, as well, if I'm not mistaken.) I don't think it was ever settled to everyone's complete satisfaction. ;)

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, they did a wonderful job of enhancing and extending the TOS Enterprise designs. The ship exterior is certainly an improvement in several ways. :)

8. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Except, maybe, for parts of the secondary hull.

9. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Quoted for truth. The NuEnterprise has no butt!

I tell ya, watching these deleted scenes made the film seem like such a waste. How can they shoot that klingon sequence and later decide to cut it all out? Not saying it belonged in the film, but if we're talking about pacing issues, I think that sequence would have been the first thing on my mind to change before production started.

10. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There is nothing new with that. That's the purpose of editing. To review the entire product and then decide what works and what doesn't (that's how they do it with 99.9% of all films.)

11. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

I think the film is better without the Klingon sequence. There is nothing there that furthers the plot.

12. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

No.

Eh. I won't disagree, but only because the original doesn't do much for me these days.

13. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

The original design, for me at least, can never hold up against the improved Jefferies/Probert design for the Enterprise: the Phase II/TMP refit.

The Church design beats the Refit, IMO. It has a forceful visual impact that even the Refit was missing.

14. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Absolutely. The refit is pretty much what I think of when I think "Enterprise."

The only improvement I can think of on the Church/ILM version is restoring volume to the nacelles, which do seem too thin to me on the refit by comparison. Beyond that, there isn't a detail about it that hasn't gotten uglier the more I've thought about it.

That's probably ILM's doing, though, as I love the Church concept art in the Making Of book (the front view that looks all '50s rocket and '60s Boeing jetliner). Somewhere along the way, the CG guys warped it into a less pleasing shape. It's hard for me to fathom that so much effort could have been put into making a thing so ungainly, but as they say, YMMV.

15. muzzleflash

muzzleflash Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's because you don't understand the principles of aesthetics.

16. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Now that is not true at all... I guess, since I don't know what those 'principles of aesthetics' are.
    But do tell us, what are these 'principles of aesthetics'?

17. muzzleflash

muzzleflash Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What I mean to say is that there is logic and reason behind the design of the enterprise that you can't simply disregard because you think it's ugly. At the same time, if you think its aesthetically unpleasing, there should be a reason for that as well. Simply shouting left and right that you think the Enterprise looks like a turd like its a damned fact is just insulting, both to the designer and to people who know about design principles.

Just a quick example because I'm tired now, many people complain about the positioning of the nacelles being off balance. This is true. At the same time, the position of the neck and saucer is much more balanced in the new design than the original. Also if, if you look at the contour lines, they aren't just shooting off in random directions. They converge to various points on the body of the ship, the purpose of which can be to subtly guide your eyes to certain parts of the ship, or to evoke a sense of motion/action.

The original enterprise, on the other hand, consists primitives jammed together at random orientations. It does however, look more utilitarian (but only in retrospect, I bet it was the slickest looking thing back in the 60s) than the stylistic new design.

18. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

When I was in Art School we had to learn how to 'balance' a painting. You rotate it 90 degrees, invert it and look at it in a mirror. If you can get a harmony in all views it would be considered balanced. The NuE does look good from certain angles, but it has some real problems in the aft secondary hull and engine pylons. When the model kit is released I am going to experiment a bit with the design and see how it can be adjusted.I do think the original concept drawings were very nice- I really liked the warp engines transparent under power.
    The ship was designed to look good on screen from certain angles and it looks much better on film than in static shots.

I do wish the Klingon scene with the redesigned D-7s was kept in- it would go far in explaining what happened during the years following the Kelvin without needing to go into the detail of how they escaped. You get the feeling that they just wandered around for 20 years or so while Kirk was growing up...

19. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

Oh man, I couldn't agree more. I hate to be so completely against something, but I absolutely despise the Uglyprise. To me it looks like a disproportionate kitbash of the TMP saucer with various alien ship-of-the-week bits slapped on it. Sure it has a saucer, two (frakkin gargantuan) nacelles, and a secondary hull...but that don't mean it deserves to wear the name "Enterprise". It's a horrible design. The original Matt Jeffries Enterprise had an elegant simplicity about it that the Abramsprise can't even come close to matching. The original Enterprise was almost perfect in its balance and proportions. Every part of the ship seemed to be in exactly the right place and exactly the right size. The Abramsprise's proportions, however are all out of whack (yes, that's a technical term). The saucer is overly huge compared to the rest of the ship. The nacelles are enormous and ungainly and too close together. The pylons are too far back on the secondary hull and have that wierd curviture. The secondary hull is too small in comparison to the nacelles and saucer and looks like a partially squeezed tube of toothpaste. And the connecting dorsal is upside down and too far back on the secondary hull. Whereas the original MJ design has none of those problems. The original Enterprise actually looked like something that NASA or a future global space agency might actually build if it were in the real world. Whereas the Abramsprise looks like something a 5 year old kid scribbled on a note pad with his oversized crayolas.

Oh that's such an "opinion"! HAHAHAHAHA! Actually, I was once an accomplished art student and I hold a degree in engineering. So i believe I have at least somewhat of a rudimentary knowlege of "aesthetics". The Abramsprise, to me, is not aesthetically pleasing. I suppose it could be made better if the proportions were more balanced. But those nacelles, oh goodness, I'm embarrased to even look at them......:guffaw:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  20. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

http://brstarship.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/vektor.jpg?w=655&h=491

Okay. This is Vektor's Enterprise. This is absolutely awesome!! Something like this is what I wish could have been in the movie. But alas, we got the Fuglyprise instead.

[Hotlinked image converted to link. Please be sure that images posted inline are hosted on web space belonging to you. - M']

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2010