Summer Glau Joins The Cape...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I'm not sure how old Summer Glau is but I certainly think she looks much better now than she did in Firefly. She had too much of a baby face to her then.

2. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

She is 29:)

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, she was playing a 16-year old in Firefly.

4. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

Yeah but I guess she was 21 or so when she made it.
    She looks much better now, and likely to only get even better.

5. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

River was my favorite character on Firefly and to be honest I didn't think Summer looked 16...she looked great on Terminator:TSSC and she looks fantastic in all the pics and videos I have seen about The Cape.

6. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

After that one trailer that showed her legs off I hope they have her in skirts quite often...

7. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know, for me, everything looks (and sounds) good except for the actual cape/costume itself. It just doesn't look good in either the practical effects or the animations. I'm looking forward to seeing the show but the costume just seems on the level of SMALLVILLE's costuming, and I was expecting something a little better.

8. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was thinking the same thing. I also read this today.

A Man With a Cape and a City to Salvage

• The Gotham of Christopher Nolan’s Batman movies (“The Dark Knight,” “Batman Begins”) is a bleak-looking place where the light is charcoal, and the mood is caught between 1970s Manhattan and Dante’s “Inferno.” Crime rates are high; so too is the general misery index. A sense of grim deterioration is ever present.

Palm City, the fictional metropolis at the center of “The Cape,” is similarly blighted, but you would never know it from the panoramic shots supplied. The skies are sunny; the tall buildings gleam against the waterfront. There is a culture of food bloggers. You are in San Diego, you say to yourself, or Vancouver, or Orlando relocated to a coast.

This unusual visual rendering of a city in crisis, one meant to suggest that terrible things still happen in prosperous environs, is one of the more distinctive elements of a series (beginning Sunday on NBC) that operates energetically within the conventions of the superhero story. The Cape is a guy named Vince Faraday (David Lyons) who is as morally unbending a cop as they come. Although framed for a spate of murders and thought dead, he is alive and costumed and trying to extinguish the malevolent forces bringing the city to further ruin.

The chief enemy in town is both a personified villain — Peter Fleming, whose alter ego is the even more pernicious Chess — and an idea: privatization. Fleming (portrayed by the wonderfully squirrely looking British actor James Frain) runs a dubious conglomerate known as the Ark Corporation, which has meted out private security in Iraq and Afghanistan to very unsettling results and now aspires to take over Palm City’s Police Department and penal system. Should Fleming succeed in capitalizing on the corruption already fomented within the ranks of the city’s law enforcement, the outcome will certainly not be good, and police benevolent association dances will be hard to come by.

So it's equal parts ripping off Batman (with Summer Glau as Oracle) and Robocop...on the network that brought us "Heroes"?

:rolleyes:

Not sure what to think of this one. Maybe save it for the DVD set if it turns out to be any good.

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a funny feeling they should have just made Glau the lead character and kept Frain as the chief baddie. That would be close to bulletproof. A cheesy show isn't terrible but the cast has to be great.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't get the Batman comparisons. All he has in common with Batman is that he's a nonpowered hero in a corrupt city. The premise bears a much stronger resemblance to Will Eisner's The Spirit -- a detective who's believed dead and "comes back" as a masked crimefighter. The only reason people keep falling back on Batman comparisons is because they're not genre-savvy enough to be familiar with other nonpowered crimefighters. (There was a recent Spirit movie, but it was a flop and deservedly so, and thus the character remains less well-known to the masses.)

And I can't think of many precedents for heroes who adopt the identity of fictional heroes in order to prove to their sons that there's still good in the world. The closest thing I can think of is Barry Allen being inspired to become the Flash by reading Gardner Fox's comics about the Jay Garrick Flash, but that's not the same thing.

11. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I can't help feel that the show will be cancelled either this summer or summer 2012. Just looks like a show the average Greys loving, Idol mind numbing tv viewer wouldn't watch.

13. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Looks cool to me. :)

I am gonna set up an official episode thread soon.

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

A part of me is interested in this and will probably check out the pilot but another part of me is meh...even with Summer included.

15. Christopher

Nice to see a superhero show embracing the comic-book aesthetic rather than trying to mask its inspiration. I'm a bit reminded of 1990's The Flash.

Still, the "comic-book" art here isn't the greatest. Just imagine if they'd gotten Alex Ross to do the art...

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seems like an instant misfire to me, too. It doesn't come up to the quality that the geeky comic book/sci fi crowd wants (and shows appealing to that niche audience can't get survival numbers on networks anyway) and it's way off target for the broad-based network audience. They're going to run into the same problem that's dooming No Ordinary Family: a cable concept chasing network ratings.

The show should be rejiggered for cable, with a different lead actor (the guy they got is way too boring - they need a Zach Levi type who just zings off the screen), more stylization and more humor. Even then, I don't think they should bother. It's really not a very exciting premise to begin with.

Case in point: that's the reaction they're going to get from the niche fandom audience. The mass market audience's reaction will be "wtf, is this for kids?" So they'll end up pleasing no one.

Moral of the story: know your audience first. Then come up with a concept. Lost was the last sci fi series that can get healthy numbers on networks.

17. Christopher

Given the huge success of movies like X-Men, Spider-Man, The Dark Knight, and Iron Man -- and the fact that superhero movies are increasingly being made by respected filmmakers and featuring sophisticated, adult-oriented content -- I suspect the percentage of the audience ignorant enough to assume comics and superhero stories are exclusively for children is a lot smaller today than it would've been 10 or 20 years ago.

And I object to you taking one passing side observation of mine out of context and claiming it represents my entire "reaction" to the show. I am not some kneejerk fanboy idiot who condemns an entire show because of one minor thing I don't instantly fall in love with. I am, in fact, very much looking forward to this show and hoping for the best from it. So don't use me as a "case in point" if you're going to twist and distort my words in order to do so. I am not in any way, shape, or form an example of the type of reaction you're postulating here.