Cast your Mass Effect Movie

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jax, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

There have been many on/off rumors about a Mass Effect movie but theres no doubt with the right team and budget the game could be turned into a wonderful trilogy. With that in mind from the first two Mass Effect games if you could cast any such movie which characters would you use and who would you get to play them...

Mass Effect 1...

Commander John Shepard - Matt Damon/Matthew Fox
    Ashley Williams - Evangeline Lilly
    Laira T'Soni - Tricia Helfer
    Tali - Zoe Saldana
    Wrex - Mickey Rourke (voice for CGI)
    Captain Anderson - Keith David (same game actor)
    Matriarch Benezia - Marina Sirtis
    Joker - Seth Green
    Saren - Edward James Olmos/Fred Tatasciore (same game actor)

I would drop Kaiden and leave Garrus for the 2nd movie...Will cast 2nd one later.

2. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know the box art and the promotional material all have a male Shepard but I think a female Shepard would be interest...big call but she could be the 21st century's Ellen Ripley, a Chuck Norris (as in tough as balls) sci-fi female lead.

As for who would play her...tough. Charlize Theron can act and she can do action. Don't think the character should be in the Josh Whedon female hero mould, tiny stick figures that seem to have superhuman strength.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Mass Effect

John Shepard:
    Karl Urban
    Saren Arterius: Fred Tatasciore (voice/CGI)
    Ashley Williams: Sarah Shahi
    Liara T'Soni: Rachel Weisz
    Kaidan Alenko: Sendhil Ramamurthy
    Garrus Vakarian: Brandon Keener (voice/CGI)
    Urdnot Wrex: Stephen Barr (voice/CGI)
    Tali'Zorah nar Rayya: Liz Sroka (voice/CGI)
    Matriarch Benezia: Marina Sirtis
    David Anderson: Keith David
    Jeff "Joker" Moreau: Seth Green
    Donnel Udina: John Noble
    Admiral Hackett: Lance Henriksen

Honestly, I couldn't think of "Hollywood" types to play the alien characters who would obviously require CGI (namely Saren, Garrus, Wrex, and Tali); except for Hugo Weaving as Saren and Michael Clarke Duncan as Wrex, and those two are total cliche picks, so I left them all with their original voice actors.

I'll get back to you on Mass Effect 2.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

^ You would have entire cast for ME 1, I feel its too big to work in a 2 hour movie. I already know I will probably only keep Miranda, Garrus, Jack and Thane in ME2.

5. Skywalker

I don't think it would be difficult to fit them in at all; they could all be introduced rather easily, since you meet them all on the Citadel. Tali and Garrus both have larger roles in ME2, but you can't just have Garrus show up in ME2 and not have his storyline make sense without his developing a friendship with Shepard in ME1.

Wrex is the central figure of what could be one of the ME1 movie's most important scenes and would have an emotional connection to what's happening on Virmire, but he could be easily excised from the ME2 movie (maybe a brief holo-conversation with Shepard about what he's doing on Tuchanka).

Kaidan should be kept because he's more interesting than people give him credit for, and he would give the viewer insight into this weird "biotics" stuff and its effect on humanity. Also,

his sacrifice on Virmire
    would be a key emotional moment in the movie.

6. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

But... Shepard is female! :confused:

7. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The other day I had started a renegade playthrough of ME1 and named him Jack Shepard without thinking about it, and then after a few minutes it dawned on me and I was like hey wait a minute... :lol:

8. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

Gotta ask... what would be the point? It's already a blinding, superbly written and well realised science fiction epic in its current form, and I'd argue much more engaging and visceral than a movie would be.

9. Skywalker

Not in my world. :p
    I completely agree. Casting threads like this are just for fun, as far as I'm concerned.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Avi Arad has the movie rights to Mass Effect and Uncharted, which does not bode well if you think of him as the producer who demanded Venom be in Spider-Man 3. He also praised the hell out of Elektra, and then when it tanked, blamed everyone else.

11. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Then when the Mass Effect 2 movie comes out, there could be internet jokes about how convenient it is that Liara and EDI are never in the same scene.

12. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I only have notes I suppose... but all I would care about is if they cast JANE Shepard properly. You basically need someone who has as much balls as Jennifer Hale.

I'd also want them to go with mixed race actors for Ashley and Kaiden, since... well, in the Mass Effect fiction, the majority of human beings in the universe have no distinct racial background.