Do we hate Harry Potter and Twilight?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Extrocomp, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Extrocomp

Extrocomp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm a fan of Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Doctor Who and superheroes. I hate Harry Potter and Twilight but I'm not sure why.

Maybe it's because they both have child or teen protagonists.

Maybe it's because the idea of a boarding school for witches and wizards just seems too silly to me.

Maybe it's because Twilight is a long boring romance story with nothing else.

Maybe it's because Twilight exists in a world full of evil vampires that are so powerful that they can just keep killing people and can never be stopped. It's sort of unsettling. Stephenie Meyer's other novel The Host has the same issue (alien parasites have taken over almost the entire human race).

Maybe it's because all of the Harry Potter and Twilight novels and movies are extremely popular, and as a proud geek, I like the less well-known tie-in novels and comics that other franchises have.

Maybe I resent the fact that Harry Potter and Twilight are so extremely popular despite having so few stories and being so new. I like the long rich histories that older franchises have.

Maybe it's because they have no comics based on them and I collect tie-in comics.

Maybe it's because the majority of both fandoms consist of rabid shippers that viciously attack other shippers who disagree with them or even the author of the novels that they're supposed to be fans of. Harry Potter has more fan fiction than any other series on Fanfiction.net and most of it's romance.

Maybe it's because Harry Potter and Twilight are just so damn popular and mainstream that as a geek, I am repulsed by it. Why should I like something that the majority of normals like? I've never forgiven the normals for the upsurge in reality TV and for banishing sci-fi/fantasy to very late time slots.

Even the geeky Harry Potter and Twilight fans creep me out. Sitting outside the store in the middle of the night, so they can be the first to buy the new book. Writing a fake version of the new book and trying to pass it off as the real thing. It's just too ridiculous.

Do the rest of you also dislike Harry Potter and Twilight? Is there a fundamental difference between Star Trek fans and Harry Potter/Twilight fans? Do they really get laid more than we do?

http://www.sodahead.com/entertainme...ry-potter-fan-wholl-get-laid/question-309165/

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I love the Harry Potter movies, though I haven't read the books.

I don't really hate Twilight; I just have no interest in it. If I want vampires, I'll watch Buffy.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes. Yes, we do.

But we hate Stargate a lot more. :D

4. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Probably. :guffaw:

5. The Fatman

The Fatman Captain Captain

like RoHoJen, I'm indifferent to Twilight. If nothing else, it's breeding a new generation of SciFi fangirls, so is that really a bad thing?

I count myself a huge fan of Harry Potter, but I've gotten into enough heated discussions about the bookson this board to know that's certainly not a universal feeling 'round here.

6. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

I hate Twilight. No question there.

Harry Potter, on the other hand, I'm pretty indifferent towards, and maybe slightly baffled. There's nothing wrong with it, it's decently written and reasonably engaging fiction (even though the plot arc is pretty much nailed to the standard Hero's Journey), but I have to admit I've never fully understood why it's as big as it is.

7. The Fatman

The Fatman Captain Captain

I think a lot of it was that it was this generations' own version of the Hero's tale. In the 50's, my grandparents had Lord of the Rings. 20 years later in the 70's my parents had Star Wars, and 20 years after that, we had Harry Potter. (the analogy doesn't totally fit, as being born in '79 makes me more in the SW generation, but you get my point...).

8. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I don't hate them. I'm just not into them.

9. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I'm a huge Potter fan. I don't like what I've seen of Twilight, never even slightly interested in it (and, to be fair, not the target audience).

10. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I do enjoy the series of Harry Potter books, and to a lesser extent the movies. I have never heard of Twilight until it was mentioned in these forums, so the only opinion I have for Twilight is the same the opinion I have for all vampire shows - they're boring and I don't watch them :D

11. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

here here

same

12. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

I like Harry Potter. I have no opinion of Twilight since I haven't seen it.

13. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Speak for yourself - unless you've started using "we" the way royalty does or something.

I've never bothered with Twilight. The friend who got me into Potter assured me it isn't worth bothering with, so I haven't. I've also read too much negative commentary about way the Twilight books depict relationships to believe I'd be likely to find them even remotely appealing.

I'm a big fan of the Potter books. (The movies are okay but they're not a patch on the books, IMHO.) They're not great literature or anything but they're entertaining and peopled with interesting, likeable characters. Like anything else, they're not for everyone but why anyone would actually hate them (or Twilight, for that matter) is beyond comprehension.

14. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

Harry Potter I have no problem with and I believe the same goes for most posters here. Twilight on the otherhand... Lets just say it offends my feminist sensibilities and let it be all I say on the matter before I launch into a rant.

It is really depressing though that such anti-feminist trash has become so popular amongst the young. Hopefully it's only a passing fad, I'd hate for it to have any lasting detrimental effects.

15. Joy

Joy Commodore Commodore

I'm rather "equal opportunity" when it comes to what I like. I grew up on Star Wars AND Star Trek (Trek first, though Spaceballs was a movie I watched often as a child, though I never knew til much later that it wasn't just making fun of Wizard of Oz, LOL). I like Stargate the Movie, SG-1, and Atlantis. I like Dead Zone, Pushing Daisies, and Quantum Leap.

I adore Harry Potter. And while I hate Twilight, I *did* read all four books AND was at the midnight showing of the first movie, so I feel my hatred is justified; it isn't just mimicry of all the other people crying foul on it... I can actually back it up (but I won't because I'm not interested enough to the research that many, many other people have already done).

So... I dunno. I don't know that I know anyone who hates both HP and Twilight....

Joy

16. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know from Twilight, but like the Harry Potter movies a lot.

17. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

To the OP:
    Can't you make up your own mind about what you like and dislike? Why do you seek some sort of consensus?

18. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the HP movies are a lot more accessible to a wider audience: men, women, boys, girls... I like them, my wife likes then, my mom and dad went to see a few of them and own the DVDs.

Twilight is just feels so singular in it's target market: women, namely women and their daughters who like a good trashy read and swoony guys who sparkle.

19. Extrocomp

Extrocomp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know exactly what I like and what I don't like. I'm not asking for any kind of consensus, I'm just asking if other people are like me.

20. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Some people are, and some people aren't; I personally know people in my real life who don't like either series, people who like one or the other, and people who like both. I happen to be part of this latter category (people who like both series), although my attachment to and interest in HP is much greater than my interest in and attachment to Twilight.