Conjectural movie era uniforms

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Longinus, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Inspired by this thread:
    http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=109779

It was proposed that maybe the late 23th (and early 24th) century uniforms -that were radical departure from any Star Fleet uniform before or after this era- actually were more formal class-A uniforms, and there existed a less militaristic looking class-B variant. So here is my suggestion for class-B officer's uniform:

[​IMG]

I am not actually sure if I like them myself, anyhow, here they are.

(Based on uniform templates originally published in Star Trek: the Magazine.)

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They seem ok to me :) :techman:

3. thesovereignman

thesovereignman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The red movie uniforms were by far my favorites, and your adaptation is good, but if they were formal uniforms, why is it that officers always wore them? Formal uniforms before and since were only used on important occasions.

Edit: I'm not saying I don't like it. I do, very much so :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  4. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Personally, I like them very much. :techman:

5. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Nice... I like the idea a lot, and toyed with it myself in some of my fan fics.

Have you thought about keeping the tan yoke from the jumpsuit uniform? Star fleet has a history of making two piece uniforms based off of their jumpsuit uniforms, so when I needed a "class B" uniform that was the direction I went.

6. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I like these a lot. Strange thing is, I feel like I've already seen Saavik wearing one of these somewhere!

7. Data Holmes

You're thinking of the waistcoat she had on under her jacket in TSFS.

8. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that almost has to be it, doesn't it?

Anyone have a picture of that so we can see how it looks in relation to the design in the OP here?

9. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Longinus,

I really like your idea, and I agree that standard uniforms should have a less-militaristic look to them. Here's an additional idea: maybe Class B and lesser uniforms should use a simpler, less ornate badge design more like TOS. Maybe you could also borrow an idea from current U.S. Army fatigues by incorporating rank insignia onto the chest of the jacket, maybe on a small flap that would cover the upper part of the zipper.

10. Data Holmes

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tsfshd/tsfshd1588.jpg

11. Data Holmes

Agreed, I think the version used in TMP would work fine.

Ugh. I hate that rank on the chest design.

12. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, what I really missed from the TWOK uniforms was the rank stripes on the sleeves. That might work well here.

I love these new uniforms. I think they would have worked well, and been well recieved.

13. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

^ Neat idea! That's one fine tradition that should've been carried over from TOS and TMP to the later movies verbatim, and it would've worked better than the insignia. The only thing I would've changed (in hindsight) was to make the TOS-style sleeve braids more in line with the shoulder braids used by the 20th/21st century US Navy. (Four braids for captains, instead of the TOS two-and-a-half)

14. Longinus

I considered both the smaller pin and the rank stripes, but I felt that they would have been too radical departures from the style of that era.

15. Longinus

These are variations for the early 24th century, before the TNG uniforms were adopted.

[​IMG]

Officer's duty uniforms inspired by Kirk's Nexus vest. For these less fancy uniforms red has been phased out except for the senior officers. The red version of the coat is only worn by the captain and the first officer. Science and medical has again been combined under a single colour. Movie uniforms remain as formal wear.

[​IMG]

Alternate jumpsuits. Mostly worn by enlisted personnel, but also on occasion by officers that find pockets handy, such as engineers.

16. thesovereignman

thesovereignman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What kind of material would these be made with? For that matter, what kind of material would the TWOK uniforms be made of? I'm thinking about getting one of these made for myself.

17. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

These look awesome, especially the red one. I can actually see these in place of the First Contact/DS9 gray shouldered uniforms. I think I'd even prefer them.

18. MarianLH

MarianLH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like these!

Marian

19. USS Jack Riley

USS Jack Riley Captain Captain

I like the pocket idea. One thing I noticed from the early movies (original cast) was that Scotty had a sleeveless vest with a breast pocket for holding various tools. That might be another option for the engineering uniform.

YMMV

20. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Would you consider making the grey jumpsuits in TWOK red, but using the color pattern of the original TNG jumpsuits? Could you also do the same for the two-piece uniforms?

I'd be interested in how both would look.